IGNORED

S Video

ataridoctor

Yes it does. I have a Commodore 1702 monitor. I can connect (8-bit domain mod) the 5200 to the front a/v or to the back (old school s-video). The back looks better (less ghosting and clearer). There is a big jump rf to a/v and a much smaller jump (let's say 33% of the initial jump) to s-video.

It improves clarity by eliminating RF noise and reducing, drastically, color bleeding. The graphics will still look very blocky especially on such a big screen.

I installed the one from the 5200 FAQ and it works great on my 36" tube TV. Supposedly this mod will display annoying vertical lines when used on a flat panel lcd/plasma TV, but I've yet to try it. I do have a 2600 with what is basically the same mod installed and it does show those vertical lines on a flat panel lcd TV I tried it on. Longhorn engineer was working on a video mod with a filter chip that would drastically reduce/elimate the lines, he was selling them in the marketplace at one point. It was basically the same as the 5200 FAQ mod with a s-video filter chip tacked on to the outputs.

If you don't wont to solder on your 5200 mobo you might look into the 8-bit domain mod, though many people say the customer service is horrible and it takes forever to get the board. In fact, I think he's working on an improved board as well which will work better on flat planel TVs.

Edited by Prodos8

It improves clarity by eliminating RF noise and reducing, drastically, color bleeding. The graphics will still look very blocky especially on such a big screen.

I installed the one from the 5200 FAQ and it works great on my 36" tube TV. Supposedly this mod will display annoying vertical lines when used on a flat panel lcd/plasma TV, but I've yet to try it. I do have a 2600 with what is basically the same mod installed and it does show those vertical lines on a flat panel lcd TV I tried it on. Longhorn engineer was working on a video mod with a filter chip that would drastically reduce/elimate the lines, he was selling them in the marketplace at one point. It was basically the same as the 5200 FAQ mod with a s-video filter chip tacked on to the outputs.

If you don't wont to solder on your 5200 mobo you might look into the 8-bit domain mod, though many people say the customer service is horrible and it takes forever to get the board. In fact, I think he's working on an improved board as well which will work better on flat planel TVs.

Definetly it is worth getting your 5200 modded, but if you can't do it yourself, pay someone else to do it for you.

Steer clear of 8bitdomain. The old owner was a crook, the new owner is a crook. It not only took forever, the guy sent me the wrong product, and ignored multiple requests/emails to correct the issue. Just do a search here at AA and you'll be hard pressed to find much of anything positive about this guy. True POS.

FWIW, last year I ordered an 8-bit Domain S-Video board for my 5200. It did take about a month to arrive, but I remain completely satisfied with the quality of the product and the video it generates.

I resorted to ordering the board after trying out the video mod in the 5200 FAQ. In the past, I had successfully built the composite modification for my 2600 as described in that system's FAQ and I was happy with it. However, when I eventually got around to enhancing my 5200, I was disappointed to discover that the circuit in the 5200 FAQ produces a very poor image.

Didn't Longhorn Engineer offer a GTIA video upgrade or was that for the 2600 only?

I did a nice S-Video board for the GTIA awhile back and even sold a few 5200s in the marketplace here with the hand built prototypes inside, but dealing with the cabling requirements for kits like this makes them hardly worth producing, especially since someone else already mopped up most of the demand.

Steve

Didn't Longhorn Engineer offer a GTIA video upgrade or was that for the 2600 only?

I did a nice S-Video board for the GTIA awhile back and even sold a few 5200s in the marketplace here with the hand built prototypes inside, but dealing with the cabling requirements for kits like this makes them hardly worth producing, especially since someone else already mopped up most of the demand.

Steve

I did but I haven't made V2.0 yet. I was going to get it done by August but the sheer number of orders for the 2600 mod kinda killed any time to be spent on working the 5200.

Parker