IGNORED

Video Game Stores near you?

So I have this friend...I like to send him picture messages whenever I find something new out in the wild of an older game or system. Sometimes I get old stuff like Atari games or just the occasional sega genesis game...Either way..his response is always like, dude where did you get that? They don't even sell that stuff anymore...Him and I are the same age and we played games for several years together in our youth. Is he a gamestop fanboy or does he just not get out much..?

I can name a dozen stores if not more in Michigan alone....and he doesn't know of a single one...Should I share my hidden stah locations with him or keep them to my self?

I can get sega genesis cases for a buck, games and cases together for 2 bucks sometimes...Just picked up sega Sesame Street Countdown for two bucks and three master system games for 3 bucks a piece yesterday....

I love hunting for games....its the only thing to do in your spare time other than play them maybe...

So I have this friend...I like to send him picture messages whenever I find something new out in the wild of an older game or system. Sometimes I get old stuff like Atari games or just the occasional sega genesis game...Either way..his response is always like, dude where did you get that? They don't even sell that stuff anymore...Him and I are the same age and we played games for several years together in our youth. Is he a gamestop fanboy or does he just not get out much..?

I can name a dozen stores if not more in Michigan alone....and he doesn't know of a single one...Should I share my hidden stah locations with him or keep them to my self?

I can get sega genesis cases for a buck, games and cases together for 2 bucks sometimes...Just picked up sega Sesame Street Countdown for two bucks and three master system games for 3 bucks a piece yesterday....

I love hunting for games....its the only thing to do in your spare time other than play them maybe...

Other than the 5 Play-N-Trades within 15 minutes of me there's nothing for retro games.

In the twin cities, the mall kiosk classic game traders have premium prices. The highest I saw was a Flashback 2 console(in a store, not a kiosk) used for 50 clams. Loose carts were like 7 bucks, but only up to Atari 2600.

Meh. I will stick to Discland. Oddly they have boxed Odyssey 2 games, but zero Vectrex games, and I bought all of their CV(both) games.

He probably just only ever goes into GameStop and assumes all stores are the same.

Here we have an independent game store with three locations that has older games (not much pre-NES, though, unfortunately), a Play N Trade (again, short on older stuff -- ours is the only PNT I've been to that never has any Atari carts), and a used book/CD/game store that sells all kinds of games (lately they've had a fair amount of 2600/7800 stuff). There's also a guy at the flea market who has massive amounts of everything from every era piled all over the place -- he has this stack of shelving cubes where each cube is probably a foot and a half on a side... the stack is like four cubes high and five wide, and they're all stuffed full of 2600 commons and everything is 3/$5.

I'd love to find something like that, but around here, we're just to small to have anything like that (and yeah, I scour the countryside around here, there literally is N O T H I N G beyond pawn shops, and they won't cary anything older than current and maybe last gen :( We got the flea market, but it's across town (and I don't drive) and open one day a week, no matter, evvery time I've been, it's been devoid of anything worth while.

The Game Crazys that adjoin the Hollywood Video stores have mostly Dreamcast/PSone/GameCube/PS2/XBOX games used but also a few NES games. However, if I want some good old stuff (like Sega CD!) I go to Game Trader in the Beaverton Mall (now known as Cedar Hills Crossing). Hell, I got a "Fatal Fury" hat from them! BURN KNUCKLE!

In the twin cities, the mall kiosk classic game traders have premium prices. The highest I saw was a Flashback 2 console(in a store, not a kiosk) used for 50 clams. Loose carts were like 7 bucks, but only up to Atari 2600.

Meh. I will stick to Discland. Oddly they have boxed Odyssey 2 games, but zero Vectrex games, and I bought all of their CV(both) games.

Well, i must say Discland looks sweet online

In Halifax there used to be at least 4-5 used games places that had huge libraries of the old games, but one by one they have gone out of business. Right now there is only one left that I know of, and while the Play n Trade does have a few older games the prices are just insane. There is no way I am going to pay $20-25 for a simple Intellivision cartridge, or $49 for some dirty old XBox360 controller. Especially since I can get the same things at the local yard sales for a fraction of the price.

GameStop is a piece of shit. Downriver Michiganders are lucky, we have TTC with three big CG vendors, and then there is Destiny Games in Canton.

I have scored a LOT from those two places.

A Coleco Adam, boxed Vic-20, Sega Gen, 4 free Snes, boxed Intv ECS & Synth, TONS of rare and good titles for all systems from 2600 up to N64.. just to name a few.

I JUST scored a working Colecovision since mine died. It came with the Roller Controller, ExpMod 1 & 2, Slither, Turbo, Tarzan, Front Line and a bunch of other good games for $50.

I really want to sell my FC Twin and get the FC3 up at Destiny, that thing rocks! It allows you to switch between NES, SNES & GEN on one console with a pretty nice Hybrid controller.

Play-N-Trade prices really do vary by store. There are 2 Play-N-Trades exactly the same distance from me. One sells NES units for $70. the other sells them for $40. Which one do you think I go to? If there's more than one in your area, go to them all. they all usually have very different prices.

Play-N-Trade prices really do vary by store. There are 2 Play-N-Trades exactly the same distance from me. One sells NES units for $70. the other sells them for $40. Which one do you think I go to? If there's more than one in your area, go to them all. they all usually have very different prices.

We've got 3 PNTs here, and I've noticed the same thing. The store here that sells the consoles for more money overprices most things, but occasionally some actually valuable stuff slips by cheap. I go by there once every few months and spend a few hours combing the store for those overlooked deals. The other stores get much more of my business because the games are not only cheaper, but cleaner and in overall better shape.

We've got 3 PNTs here, and I've noticed the same thing. The store here that sells the consoles for more money overprices most things, but occasionally some actually valuable stuff slips by cheap. I go by there once every few months and spend a few hours combing the store for those overlooked deals. The other stores get much more of my business because the games are not only cheaper, but cleaner and in overall better shape.

You make a great point.

Thats why I go to Destiny Games more than the Trade Center, as the deals that slip by are generally in better shape, you just gotta look look look, its hit or miss(INTV Fathom sealed for $7.99 :D )

I have play n trade x2 eb x 3 and lots of big box stores to go to for games. pawnshops have some old stuff (one good one in the area carries some good stuff now and then and lots of old snes, genesis, psone/2 games etc and some odd rare stuff now and then) a place called abu games doesn't have old stuff really but carries rare and collectible stuff most stores don't. the scene could be better though certainly

We've got four Game X Change stores, four Vintage Stock Stores, and a Play 'n' Trade that deal in all types of video games. One of the Vintage Stock locations (North May) is a little drier than the others for 2600 stuff, but they do have a few titles. Of the Game X Change stores, the Moore location used to sell 2600 but I don't know if they still do, and the South location tends to rat hole anything worth having for any system in the Not For Sale area behind the counter. Play 'n' Trade has a decent selection of commons for many systems, and they are cheaper than the other places but good luck finding older boxes in there. Mary's Swap meet has several vendors who deal in NES and up, and one of them occasionally has 2600 games. Old Paris also has a game shop that used to go back to Saturn titles with the odd NES or 2600 title in the mix. Even the old AMC has one vendor who deals with retro stuff, well they had one until she got greedy and her prices went through the roof. ($100 for a loose Game Gear!? Come on!)

Even the old AMC has one vendor who deals with retro stuff, well they had one until she got greedy and her prices went through the roof. ($100 for a loose Game Gear!? Come on!)

Thats rediculous! Whenever I see vendors with stuff like that I just laugh and keep moving. There is a vendor like that at our Gibraltor Trade Center, who has had all of the same over priced shit for years, I honestly dont understand how he is still there, or why he bothers coming in, no one buys the shit.

GameStop is a piece of shit. Downriver Michiganders are lucky, we have TTC with three big CG vendors, and then there is Destiny Games in Canton.

A Coleco Adam, boxed Vic-20, Sega Gen, 4 free Snes, boxed Intv ECS & Synth, TONS of rare and good titles for all systems from 2600 up to N64.. just to name a few.

I JUST scored a working Colecovision since mine died. It came with the Roller Controller, ExpMod 1 & 2, Slither, Turbo, Tarzan, Front Line and a bunch of other good games for $50.

I really want to sell my FC Twin and get the FC3 up at Destiny, that thing rocks! It allows you to switch between NES, SNES & GEN on one console with a pretty nice Hybrid controller.

Where about is Destiny Games in Canton? My wife's Aunt and one of her sons and his wife live there i might have to stop there next time we visit.

Even the old AMC has one vendor who deals with retro stuff, well they had one until she got greedy and her prices went through the roof. ($100 for a loose Game Gear!? Come on!)

Thats rediculous! Whenever I see vendors with stuff like that I just laugh and keep moving. There is a vendor like that at our Gibraltor Trade Center, who has had all of the same over priced shit for years, I honestly dont understand how he is still there, or why he bothers coming in, no one buys the shit.

The guy at Gibraltor is a tool..i've confronted him face to face on several occassion...Why doe she stay? Rent is dirt cheap and alot cheaper than having a brick and mortar of his own...His pricing...? Where does he get it? Who knows Who cares...if you go in there when he is not there and haggle the worker the worker will cave...I have a friend that just bought some games from there that were marked forty and the guy gave him the games for 16 bucks a piece....

So moral to the story is that guys prices are not set in stone...if you are reading this and you are the guy that owns that market please do send me an email suggesting that you read my message so we may talk about this matter in cyberspace..

Thanks,

Chris

Where about is Destiny Games in Canton? My wife's Aunt and one of her sons and his wife live there i might have to stop there next time we visit.

Destiny Games is on Ford Rd. just before Lilley. Its in the same plaza as Sharks Club and is right next to the old New York Carpet World.

I grow up in Canton so I know the area all to well…

What is TTC and where is it? My in-laws live downriver but I've never seen any place that sells classic games. I've heard about the Gibraltor guy/gal but avoided it based on reputation.

What is TTC and where is it? My in-laws live downriver but I've never seen any place that sells classic games. I've heard about the Gibraltor guy/gal but avoided it based on reputation.

TTC is Taylor Town Center - Its a flea market - the game vendors there are pretty solid, have decent selection, and some pretty good prices (IMO) - I got my Lynx there as well as some NES games for great prices!

Taylor Town is located at the corner of Ecorse and Pardee.

We have PnT here in Denver now, and my experience with that one, and the couple of locations in Colorado Springs I've hit on the roadtrips to hit our Video Game Exchange down there (higher prices, but massive selection!), is that it's a franchise operation like Game Force that we also have.

Unfortunately, we've shed a couple of Game Force locations here in the past year, both of them on my side of town. Out of the remaining ones, my preferences are the store in Boulder, and the store in Aurora that's near the Newsland.

We also have a few Buy Back Games franchises. I've had poor luck with those, but the one in Arvada appears to have massively improved when they moved.

Out of all of these, Game Force and Video Game Exchange appear to be the only ones that routinely carry games prior to the NES.

TTC is Taylor Town Center - Its a flea market - the game vendors there are pretty solid, have decent selection, and some pretty good prices (IMO) - I got my Lynx there as well as some NES games for great prices!

Taylor Town is located at the corner of Ecorse and Pardee.

Thanks! That can't be far from where they live. I'll check it out the next time I'm in town.