IGNORED

No video or sound.

darthkur

I found a PS3 at a garage sale today but although it turns on, accepts a disc, displays both a green and blue light there is no video or sound. I tried plugging it into a old composite monitor, the front A/V jacks on my TV and the VCR. I also tried a different A/V cable from my PS2. I was concerned about buying something like this at a garage sale since I assumed, correctly it seems, that no one would sell a newer console like this for a 4th of what it was new if there wasn't something wrong with it. I ended up going there three times, once the original visit, twice when I went home to fetch the monitor, then the final time, accompanied with the kids father, to my house to try it on my TV. Needless to say I didn't buy it. I was hoping that if it's an easy fix I could still go back there and get it.

I just read about holding the power button for 5 seconds to reset the video. I wish I had known that earlier today. But the thing is they were using it on an old TV so it should already be set for normal definition. Then there's the lack of sound. If it was simply the video mode needing resetting wouldn't there be sound anyways? The kid was using a stand-alone RF modulator unit, to play it on their older TV, that he said he took back to the store already. This was a big red flag to me. I also tried hooking the console up through their VCR but with no positive results.

The kids father was clearly embarrassed and apologized multiple times to me about having to make numerous trips for nothing. I'm guessing his son caught hell that day afterward.

So, is this a lost cause and/or would it cost a major fortune to have it repaired?

I don't know about Sony, but the flat rate to get a 360 fixed fixed out of warranty is like $99.

If nothing else, give them a call and see if you can ship it to them for repair. Couldn't hurt to ask.

https://service1.us.playstation.com/rma.htm?_flowExecutionKey=_cA2583CD9-F4D3-B38B-893D-8BD7EEB193D1_k0CAEAD5A-505E-D1C2-5011-A99DF14C1EC8

Edited by moycon