IGNORED

HSC Season 7 Week 10: Megamania

Ze_ro

Important Note: This weeks competition is over and no further scores will be accepted.

Imagine being the hard-working pilot of an intergalactic space cruiser. After a tough day in the cosmos, you naturally stop off for a little snack.

Two deluxe pepperoni pizzas and a quart of chocolate mint ice cream later, you're beginning to see things funny. Somehow, you manage to make it home, falling fast asleep. But your sweet dreams quickly turn into some kind of nightmare. A space nightmare. It's called MegaMania.

s_Megamania_4.png

Game Information
  • Game Name: Megamania
  • Released By: Activision (Steve Cartwright), 1982
  • Left Difficulty: Your Choice (Controls Missile Speed)
  • Right Difficulty: N/A
  • Game Mode: Game 1 (Guided Missiles) or Game 3 (Straight Missiles)
  • Chosen By: jeremysart

Post your scores right here in this thread, and I will add them to the list. Remember to play the game with the recommended game mode and difficulty settings as shown above so that your scores will be consistent with everyone elses. The deadline for posting scores is Wednesday October 28th at 1:00 AM (CST).

Current High Scores
  1. 999,999 (shadow460) [+11]Megamania.jpg[+1][+3]
    999,999 (CebusCapucinis) [+11]Megamania.jpg[+1][+3]
    999,999 (oyamafamily) [+11]Megamania.jpg[+1][+3]
    999,999 (homerwannabee) [+11]Megamania.jpg[+1][+3]
    999,999 (Deteacher) [+11]Megamania.jpg[+1][+3]
  2. 518,770 (toymailman) [+10]Megamania.jpg[+1]
  3. 264,450 (darthkur) [+9]Megamania.jpg[+1]
  4. 158,130 (Zoyx) [+8]Megamania.jpg[+1]
  5. 148,590 (Atardi) [+7]Megamania.jpg[+1]
  6. 126,310 (vjames) [+6]Megamania.jpg[+1]
  7. 106,700 (Animan) [+5]Megamania.jpg[+1]
  8. 80,570 (aftermac) [+4]Megamania.jpg[+1]
  9. 75,300 (SpiceWare) [+3]Megamania.jpg[+1]
  10. 58,270 (roadrunner) [+2]Megamania.jpg[+1]
  11. 49,000 (godzillajoe) [+1]Megamania.jpg[+1]
  12. 17,720 (4Ks) [+1]
  13. 4530 (LoneWolfSeth) [+1]

Best Tips
  • shadow460 [+2]

Challenges
  • Patch Challenge - Megamaniacs - Score 45,000 points or higher and get 1 bonus point! Megamania.jpg
  • Max The Score - Score 999,999 points and get 3 bonus points!

TwinGalaxies Top 3
  1. 999,999 (Todd Rogers, Bryan L Wagner, David B Yancey,
    Douglas C Korekach, Troy Whelan, Natalie Purawec,
    Rich Semenza, Frankie Cardulla, Steve Germershausen)
  2. 655,780 (Jerome Paradis)
  3. 577,810 (Robert T Mruczek)
(Game 1, Difficulty B)
Current Standings
  1. toymailman [84]
  2. Atardi [76]
  3. Captain Beard [61]
  4. Deteacher [55]
  5. godzillajoe [54]
  6. Zoyx [50]
  7. shadow460 [47]
  8. darthkur [46]
  9. keilbaca [42]
  10. vjames [39]
  11. Vectorman0 [29]
  12. SpiceWare [20]
  13. CebusCapucinis [17]
  14. roadrunner [13]
  15. aftermac [13]
  16. devwebcl [13]
  17. oyamafamily [12]
  18. Nathan Strum [11]
  19. homerwannabee [11]
  20. LarcenTyler [9]
  21. kote [8]
  22. Hornpipe2 [7]
  23. Mister VCS [6]
  24. 4Ks [4]
  25. LoneWolfSeth [4]
  26. Wickeycolumbus [4]
  27. chuckwalla [3]
  28. Shannon [2]
  29. jeremysart [2]
  30. vintagegamecrazy [2]
  31. sloth713 [2]
  32. jjd [2]
  33. ChrisKoopa [1]
  34. Impaler_26 [1]
  35. Nati [1]
  36. disjuakifa [1]

Scoring Points in Megamania
  • Hamburgers - 20 points
  • Cookies - 30 points
  • Bugs - 40 points
  • Radial Tires - 50 points
  • Diamonds - 60 points
  • Steam Irons - 70 points
  • Bow Ties - 80 points
  • Space Dice - 90 points
  • After the Space Dice attack, the sequence repeats, with all objects worth 90 points.
  • Bonus points are awarded for each energy unit remaining at the end of each wave.

Hints and Tips

The Manual

As always, you really should read the manual. In case you don't have a copy of it, AtariAge has a typed copy and a scanned copy available online. Here are the hints it provides:

• I recommend that you try to stay in the center of the screen. This keeps you from getting trapped in a corner and also gives you the side-to-side flexibility necessary to guide your missiles effectively.
  • And here's a piece of advanced strategy to really help boost your scores: bonus points are awarded depending an your energy remaining at the time you destroy the last object in a wave. So, if you have built up your reserve ships, and you're nearing the end of a wave, go ahead and sacrifice a ship. Your energy will be fully recharged, and, if you can quickly destroy the last attacker in a wave, you'll pick up maximum bonus points.

We played this game twice before in the High Score Club. Check out Season 5's Thread and Season 1's Thread.

shadow460

These apply to the third round and up with fast guided missiles (option 1b):

On the odd numbered stages, you have an advantage when the enemies are moving slow speed. Their shots will always miss you, while you can keep yours aligned.

For the even numbered stages, except stage 4, try to snipe enemies instead of using the rapid fire. This is especially important in the last stage.

on stage 4, wiggle the stick side to side rapidly while using the rapid fire. For some odd reason, this tends to result is a lot of fast kills. When you're down to the last five or so tires, start sniping them. They seem to always drop their bombs at the leftmost part of their travel.

On stage 6, make sure you shoot out at least two steam irons in each column. They have to be one on top of the other. Otherwise you won't have enough room to get in between them safely and blast them.

Also in stages 2 and 8, there is a pattern governing where the last few enemies reappear on screen after they scroll off the bottom. Wait just a little bit further to the left if they're traveling left, and to the right if they are traveling right. DON'T chase them.

In all stages, only two enemies shoot at any one time. sometimes one enemy will double its firepower. You can either wipe these guys out first or leave them for last, the choice is yours.

In the odd stages, try to wipe out the bottom row, then the middle, and finally the top. This gives you more room between you and the shooters.

The game is not hard, nor is it very long (~90 minutes), but it requires intense concentration. If you know you can roll it, try to set aside about two hours where you have no distractions and no one else is in the room (or in the house if you can). Shut off the phone and put some favorite music on. If you can mix it with the game's sound, do that.

Use the bathroom first, too. It would really suck to have to hold it from the end of the first eight stages all the way to max score.

--Zero

How soon would you like that max score posted? :D

First blood:

595,220. The wife decided she wanted to hold a conversation partway through. I lost over half my ships and never really recovered. I'll be able to roll it when I'm alone.

I won't hold it against her for not knowing arcade etiquette. :)

OK, tips since I'll max it anyway:

These apply to the third round and up with fast guided missiles (option 1b):

On the odd numbered stages, you have an advantage when the enemies are moving slow speed. Their shots will always miss you, while you can keep yours aligned.

For the even numbered stages, except stage 4, try to snipe enemies instead of using the rapid fire. This is especially important in the last stage.

on stage 4, wiggle the stick side to side rapidly while using the rapid fire. For some odd reason, this tends to result is a lot of fast kills. When you're down to the last five or so tires, start sniping them. They seem to always drop their bombs at the leftmost part of their travel.

On stage 6, make sure you shoot out at least two steam irons in each column. They have to be one on top of the other. Otherwise you won't have enough room to get in between them safely and blast them.

Also in stages 2 and 8, there is a pattern governing where the last few enemies reappear on screen after they scroll off the bottom. Wait just a little bit further to the left if they're traveling left, and to the right if they are traveling right. DON'T chase them.

In all stages, only two enemies shoot at any one time. sometimes one enemy will double its firepower. You can either wipe these guys out first or leave them for last, the choice is yours.

In the odd stages, try to wipe out the bottom row, then the middle, and finally the top. This gives you more room between you and the shooters.

I don't have time right now to max the score, but if I don't max it on the next play, I sure will miss a good chance to.

Oh, yeah, final tips:

The game is not hard, nor is it very long (~90 minutes), but it requires intense concentration. If you know you can roll it, try to set aside about two hours where you have no distractions and no one else is in the room (or in the house if you can). Shut off the phone and put some favorite music on. If you can mix it with the game's sound, do that.

Use the bathroom first, too. It would really suck to have to hold it from the end of the first eight stages all the way to max score.

Edited by shadow460

I suck at this game, as I cannot score over 999,999 no matter what I do. :mad:

More info:

All the odd numbered stages have 15 enemies, all throughout the game.

Stage 4 and 6 always have 18 enemies, so there's six rows of three tires, and three columns of six irons.

Starting in the third cycle, there are only 12 cookies. Until then, there are 18.

In the third cycle only, there are 12 dice. All others have 18.

I just tried this game with a CX-10. They killed me until I died of it.

also, to clarify stage 4 a little, when you get down to the last few tires, attack them from the right. Just as one disappears off the bottom, fire a shot and if the tire shows up close enough, guide the shot into place for a hit.

Time to boot up the 7800 for Food Fight. Cookies, ice cream, hamburgers, watermelon...yum. All these food games are making me hungry!

post-7210-125616114806_thumb.jpeg

Edited by shadow460

We played this game twice before in the High Score Club.

Zero, I love your work for HSC and don't want to sound like an ungrateful kvetcher, but why are we playing this game for the third time instead of different games? Are you low on suggestions or does this one get requested a lot?

I really only ask 'cuz I suck at this game. :D

For what it's worth, this game is dirt common, but there's no ROM on the main site. I might be able to find a couple copies locally, but they probably won't arrive to their players until Monday or Tuesday. That might be enough time to max the score, though. Once you get the hang of it, it's not a hard game at all.

Zero, I love your work for HSC and don't want to sound like an ungrateful kvetcher, but why are we playing this game for the third time instead of different games? Are you low on suggestions or does this one get requested a lot?

I'll second that... I'm pretty bad at this one! :) In fact, I think I might go suggest a game now... it's been played before, but not in a few years. :twisted:

I'll second that... I'm pretty bad at this one! :) In fact, I think I might go suggest a game now... it's been played before, but not in a few years. :twisted:

What, Squeeze Box? :woozy: :P

I suggested one recently that was played either last season or the one before it.

We should have a spreadsheet of every single finished and playable game (non hack, non pirate or crappy 10% done proto etc)

And a macro that randomly picks one.

Do that until we play EVERY game without repeating

:D

Last week was crazy and I'm feeling kinda crummy about picking a game and then not playing it but I'm gonna roll this $#@! this week.

(Unless my replacing the upstairs toilet Saturday turns into a disaster and I have to move into a hotel while they patch the ceilings and fix the bathroom)

double :D

What, Squeeze Box? :woozy: :P

I suggested one recently that was played either last season or the one before it.

LOL, no not Squeeze Box! :)

The one I suggested last night was last played in season 4, but it's one of the best 2600 games ever.

Oh, I get it, it must be Fast Food!

*gets even hungrier*

Thanks! I just got finished eating everything at the store, and I'm still hungry! You couldn't even imagine what I am dreaming of now! I think I see Mister Spock over there!

:P

Interesting "bug" I found playing this one.

On the second set of "irons" I cleared out the middle and right columns, leaving the left untouched

The problem is, as they drop down, there is no space for you to get off a shot as they are too close together to squeeze between and come down continuously until you either crash into them or run out of fuel, losing a life.

Interesting "bug" I found playing this one.

On the second set of "irons" I cleared out the middle and right columns, leaving the left untouched

The problem is, as they drop down, there is no space for you to get off a shot as they are too close together to squeeze between and come down continuously until you either crash into them or run out of fuel, losing a life.

It's not a bug, and there's just enough room to squeeze in with about one pixel above and below. I've done it many times, but it's very difficult to do.

Also, in the variations with straight missiles, it's possible that after you shoot the irons will move into the missile.

Can I join the "My Wife Has Crappy Timing" club?

I had about 850K (with all my lives) when the phone rings...it's my wife, wanting to chat from work. So I'm trying to be as polite as possible and talking to her while trying to maintain my focus on the home stretch. All the while, I'm watching my lives dwindle down, slowly. When I manage to end the conversation, I've found myself with about 917K and I'm on my last life. I couldn't get back into the groove and I finished around 925K. I can post it if I don't roll it this weekend, but needless to say, I was pretty pissed off for a while there. :x