IGNORED

Atari Heavy Sixer vs. Sears Heavy Sixer

seanhq

Hmmm... maybe I'll take my unit into Sears. Would make a funny video asking for service on the machine :)

lol

I actually need to visit Sears this weekend for a part for my BBQ, so I'll bring in my Sears Tele-Games with me and my camera to record a little video action :)

Maybe I'll say something like "I can't seem to beat E.T. and I was told my Sears Video Arcade system might need an adjustment"... oh yeah, this could be fun for sure.

I'll bring it in the next time, then. In the future I'll definitely be buying more of those lifetime warranty with no questions asked Craftsman tools, so there will be ample opportunity...

I've got a huge pile of those Sears picture label carts, too, so that would add to the fun. :D

Now owning a sears 6 switcher, I can safely say I love the woodgrain on it more: it looks more high-class than the standard Atari pattern, but I deeply love both designs.

The faceplate on the sears is a mixed blessing: I love the idea of it, with its contrast and all to the rest of the machine, but it just did not play out well.

All in all, I prefer the normal Atari, but the sears design has a high-class look all its own.

I like the original Atari 2600, not the Sears one. Collectors perposes :ponder:

I'm with you on this one, especially since I have my original Atari 2600 Heavy Sixer from back in 1977, but I do have to say that my Sears Heavy Sixer unit is getting a lot of play these days because it has the Longhorn Engineer mod, while my Atari version is packed safely in it's original box. I pretty much now only bring it out to show fellow gamer friends who come over for game days/nights or when family comes to visit and I can say "hey, remember this?" and tell my younger brother "no, you can't have it" :)

Edited by seanhq

lol, I actually did it! I got a Kenmore vacuum cleaner today, and repaired it. After a few minutes of use, the belt broke, so I knew a trip to Sears was in order. I packed up my brand shiny old vacuum cleaner and my trusty Heavy Sixer, then I went to Sears!

I grabbed a cart at the door, placed my vacuum in the large part and carefully tucked my Heavy Sixer into the first class section at the top. I perused the vacuum cleaner parts, not finding what I thought my old blue vacuum needed. The belt I had was way longer than anything on the shelf, so I pushed my cart over to a register and asked for some help. The fellow I spoke to went and found the correct belt for my vacuum cleaner. I picked up the instruction manual for my Heavy Sixer.

"It says here that if I need service or parts for this I can just bring it back here. Have you got parts or games for this?"

"Whoa! Let me see that! Look at the condition of this leaflet! I just really wanna keep this!"

"Well, we might have a problem there."

"Let me call my manager over. He's into this kind of thing."

A few seconds passed and a lady who looked like she remembered Atari showed up in her Sears outfit. The conversation continued.

"Sorry, you can't get that serviced here", she said with a genuine smile.

"It's OK, it's a joke that me and some online buddies had planned out", I said.

"Does it work?" the gentleman asked.

"Sure does. I have had to repair it before, but it works like a champ."

"Do you still play it?"

"Yup. The last time it was played was two days ago."

"This thing was built in the seventies!" the man said to his co worker.

"You know," the man said, "Very few people know there's three floors to this store. I was up in the attic one day and you'd be amazed at what we find up there. One time we found a staple gun with a three letter product code from the 1950's!"

"Well, I'm gonna have to try this at some of the other stores."

There was a little more to it than that, but the sales staff were simply amazed at how good the unit's condition is after 31 years. I think they were also amazed that one, it still worked, and two, it still gets played regularly!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: Rock on Atari VCS! Er, I mean, Sears Tele Games Video Arcade! (gosh that was a lot to say...)

• Like 1

Haha, awesome. Someone had to give it a shot :D

I bet if I was to go into Wolfchase with my sears 6 switcher and ask about getting those switches replaced, they would call mall security on me, and somehow claim I stole the thing.

>_>

Eh, might as well try it tomorrow for the heck of it!

Funny thing is, as a kid I hated the Sears models. I always thought "How do they get away with ripping off Atari like that?" Then again, I was only 7 and didn't know that it was a joint venture. Having grown up with a light sixer, I do have a little more love for the Atari labeled 2600s. Since my rekindled love for the 2600 in 2006 due directly to discovering AtariAge, I learned to respect the other adaptations and now prefer the Sears look. It may be due to the fact I've seen the Atari labeled model so many times that the Sears now appeals to me more as a "new" design in my eyes. I think of them as a Ford vs. Lincoln. Sure a Taurus is also a Sable... but a Sable doesn't have the same appeal as a Taurus would.

As for a collector, I find much better deals on Sears items than Atari ones. Also, most of the heavy Sears models I've gotten were like new condition where the Atari labeled ones have been pretty beat up.

The Sears Heavy still is my favorite looking model now with the Sears Video Arcade II a close second.

I only have the Atari heavy sixer, but I used to have a Sears light sixer that I liked a lot. My parents bought a lot of stuff at Sears back in the day and most of my original games before the crash were the Sears version. My first Atari however was a Atari 4 switch (woodgrain) that they bought at Gemco (kind of like a member only discount store) back in the early '80s. I'm not sure how that happened and why they didn't but one at Sears. Maybe Gemco was running some kind of special.

I guess if I ran across a really nice Sears Heavy Sixer I might sell my Atari Heavy Sixer. I've always enjoyed Sears branded products. I wore Sears clothes as a kid and now I buy nothing but Sears Craftsman tools and Kenmore appliances.

I like things that are just a little different. Kind of like why I like the GMC Sierra just a little better than the Chevy Silverado. Under the skin they are identical, but the different front end and those bold red letters are enough to make me like it just a bit better.

All the VCS units I've ever owned were Sears models. My original was a Video Arcade 4-switch unit purchased new in 1980. Then, I came across a Sears Video Arcade II years later in the shed at my church. They were going to throw it out, so I gave it a home. It is an awesome system. Finally, I bought a Sears heavy sixer complete with original sticks, paddles, adapter, and original box at a yard sale a couple years back for $8. This was a nice purchase. I have to say that the aesthetic appearance of the Sears models always struck me as fancier. I saw the Vader black Atari models and thought they were ugly.

• Like 1

I want a Sears II because, well, I freaking love the 2800 design to death: hence why I like the 7800. Of course, I will have a final verdict on those designs once my 7800 comes in, but from what I see, I like them alot. :D

I would still prefer an actual 2800 over the Sears II, even though they are the same machine, simply "because."

We had quite a bit of Sears stuff when I was a kid. We had Kenmore and Craftsman stuff, and quite a few Sears games. When it comes to hand tools, Sears is usually my first stop even today. I generally stay clear of Kenmore stuff since unless you recognize the look (like the LG air conditioners or the game systems they re-brand) or know how to read the model number, you don't know what brand it really is. I don't know who made my vacuum cleaner (Hoover, I think?). I've got an Atari built game unit with a Sears name and I have a Toshiba built microwave that says Kenmore on it. I have no complaints with either. I found out who made the microwave when I opened it up for repair and saw the word TOSHIBA on the transformer. The rest I've found out either by look or the model number, which has a 3 digit prefix for every manufacturer they use.

Even their Craftsman tools are made by a third party. The only reason I get them at Sears, though, instead of the Home Depot (yup, Husky is just a brand name) is that with Sears, the return process is much simpler. They see the Craftsman logo on a hand tool and it's under warranty, no questions at all. They don't ask for a receipt or ask how you broke it.

Even so, in th used market, sometimes I do favor the Sears name. In the case of the Heavy Sixer, I think it looks better, as do the picture label games. In the case of the vacuum cleaner, I figured if I needed to, I could buy parts either at the Sears store or online. I was right. The microwave cost $2, so I didn't care what the name was or if it even worked (it does, BTW).

I gotta find out who made that vacuum. Hang on... ok the three digit prefix is 116, so it's not a Sears built item. Looks like the 116 prefix is for Panasonic items. I think that might be who made it. Funny thing is...Panasonic isn't much more than a brand name, either! The actual manufacturer is Matsushita.

Now can someone tell me who Sears's 637 prefix is for?

Edited by shadow460

yeah, i thought the vader 2600 is ugly too. for some reason, ataris have to have the woodgrain panel on the front, or its not an atari. (excluding the jr., 5200 and 7800 its just the shape of the atari 2600 without it.)

I find your lack of faith disturbing...!

scnr :lol:

The "Vader" 2600 is the only one I got, and I like the all-black look. While I don't think the woodgrain is ugly, I just don't care much for it.

About the Jr., I have never seen one in real life, so I can't say whether I'd like it or not. By the pictures I get the expression I could actually like the look of a 2600jr, but it really depends on "how cheap" it looks, something which can't really be seen in a photograph. (In case you don't understand what I mean with "cheap look", compare the look of a very cheap PC keyboard to a similar one from a higher price range. It's really hard to describe what the difference is, but it's obvious to plain sight.)

Edited by Herbarius

Hmmm... maybe I'll take my unit into Sears. Would make a funny video asking for service on the machine :)

lol

I actually need to visit Sears this weekend for a part for my BBQ, so I'll bring in my Sears Tele-Games with me and my camera to record a little video action :)

Maybe I'll say something like "I can't seem to beat E.T. and I was told my Sears Video Arcade system might need an adjustment"... oh yeah, this could be fun for sure.

They'll probably call the cops and say we have a schizo in here hurry,or simply show you the door :D

About the Jr., I have never seen one in real life, so I can't say whether I'd like it or not. By the pictures I get the expression I could actually like the look of a 2600jr, but it really depends on "how cheap" it looks, something which can't really be seen in a photograph. (In case you don't understand what I mean with "cheap look", compare the look of a very cheap PC keyboard to a similar one from a higher price range. It's really hard to describe what the difference is, but it's obvious to plain sight.)

I hadn't seen a Jr in person until I found one at a yard sale just over a year ago and was kinda suprised at how not junky it was! Really, the only complaint I have is the select and reset buttons feel cheapish. Also, I like how the cart points nearly straight up, it's my prefered cart tester because it's really easy to get them in and out. Having an LED is cool too, great for checking power supplies without bothering to hook it up to a TV. icon_smile.gif

On topic, I'd love to get an Atari Heavy, we had an Atari 4 switch woodgrain growing up, but I have no particular love for it. I do have a nice Sears Heavy, but these days, my Atari gaming is always on a 7800 anyway.

Props to the Junior. It's a little larger than a VHS tape. For something so small you would expect it to look and feel cheap. To me, it looks like it has the same build quality of any other Atari system.

I've only played a Junior in person once. The colors were off and that's why Game X Change had me kicking it around some, to see if I might be able to repair it. At the time, I did not know how.

No answer on the Sears 637 model number prefix? Come on now. :)

Props to the Junior. It's a little larger than a VHS tape. For something so small you would expect it to look and feel cheap. To me, it looks like it has the same build quality of any other Atari system.

I've only played a Junior in person once. The colors were off and that's why Game X Change had me kicking it around some, to see if I might be able to repair it. At the time, I did not know how.

No answer on the Sears 637 model number prefix? Come on now. icon_smile.gif

Also, the Jr would be a perfect choice to introduce younger kids to the Atari. Not only is it built like a rock, but those flat switches are a lot less likely to get broken off.

No kidding!When you think about the number of times an Atari,and several other classic consoles have been rough handled and have fallen or thrown to the ground,it's pretty damn amazing that more aren't cracked up.I've never seen a cracked up Atari,or ColecoVision,Intellivision.ColecoVision may have had cheap ass hardware,but the casings have held up pretty darn well considering.The same can't be said for the Gemini,i can't find one that isn't cracked or has a chunk of the casing missing.But IMO,Atari is the toughest,most durable,best built console.

Edited by Rik

Someone managed to acid burn my 5200 long before I got it. I managed to shatter part of the casing, but it might have been weakened by the acid first. It is back in one piece but you can see the cracks and the melted spots. Even so, breaking the case at all took one whale of a hit. I can only speculate as to how strong the acid was that burned it.

I know that Atari carts stand right up to acetone during cleaning. I've never seen any other cart that doesn't melt from the stuff. Bump that, the labels stand up perfectly to acetone while the magic marker stains of "BOBBY" melt right off. Try that on a newer cart and you'll have a blob of smeared ink and melted plastic.

Edited by shadow460