IGNORED

Jaguar S video cable

busterm

They do seem to be rare-ish... at least the original Atari-made ones are. I've had an S-Video search set on eBay for a year now, and I think it only found like 5 or so. I did see a couple sell recently for around $13.50, but the others sold for more like $40.

Also, I haven't found any Jag retailers that have the original cables in stock.

That said, there is a place selling new cables...

http://morethangames.a8maestro.com/prodgame/game-f1.htm

I've not bought from them, but it's been discussed here in the past, and they sound like a good company. Of course, once shipping gets figured in, you're back to paying $25-31, so there ya go.

Cheers,

Smeg

What's even worse is the Atari brand S-video cables are prone to malfunction. I bought a brand new S-vid years ago and it started to not output sound out of one of the two sound channels. I TOTALLY Jerry Rigged it LOL. I soldered it with a freaking LIGHTER! :lol: Then wrapped Scotch tape all over it, AND IT WORKS LOL.. :thumbsup:

Edited by kevincal

What's even worse is the Atari brand S-video cables are prone to malfunction. I bought a brand new S-vid years ago and it started to not output sound out of one of the two sound channels. I TOTALLY Jerry Rigged it LOL. I soldered it with a freaking LIGHTER! :lol: Then wrapped Scotch tape all over it, AND IT WORKS LOL.. :thumbsup:

HAHA very Mcgyver of you to break out the pocket lighter.

I already have a composit cable but was running out of ports on my tv so maybe I'll skip the svideo for now or build my own

I bought an official S-Video cable many years ago for around $35. They are in high demand (especially since you need s-video for these old systems to look decent on a modern TV) and seem to be pretty rare. The build quality seems excellent, they are very thick with chunky connectors that seem solid. Kevin is the first account I've heard of any malfunctions. Probably not worth $35, but unless you have the technically know how, there aren't many options.

If you know how to do soldering (or know someone who does), you also have the option of building the cable yourself, it'll be much cheaper.

I'd like to make my own S-Video and RGB scart cable, however I'd like to know where to get the Jaguar custom AV plug. I don't really want to modify the case of my Jaguar to put my own socket there. Do most make their own socket/cable or have access the the Jag AV plug

... I don't really want to modify the case of my Jaguar to put my own socket there. ...

Sorry if I misleaded you, but you don't have to modify *anything* in order to make your own cable: I just had to cut a very long 'comb' connector I had and solder wires appropriately on it; then I just plugged the thing into the Jag rear connector.