IGNORED

2 worthy video game podcasts

S1500

That said, any idea how much it would cost for them to never talk about pre-crash systems again?

That shouldn't be hard for them since Hideo Kajima(sp?) didn't release Mother 2 for the ColecoVision. No Retronauts, please go over our heads trying to talk about the cultural implications of a JRPG for seemingly an endless amount of episodes.

IIRC the last time they had a kickstarter, it was more than enough money.

• Like 1

Here is an idea.. take some KS money and use it to buy one of the consoles they talk about. An Intellivision and a few games is not terribly expensive.

A nice idea, Chris, but I'm not convinced that would improve the situation. I think it would just encourage them to make more 'it looks like a telephone' jokes, only then it would be 'physical comedy', since they'd actually be holding it.

Of course then they might actually notice the SIDE BUTTONS on the controller that they weren't aware of in their Intellivision episode...

• Like 1

They said "dont think the Kickstarter money didnt go to good use." & they're using a different method this time, it has a different name & supposedly can be shaped to better fit their needs or somesuch. It's all in the last 5-10 min. of their latest ep.

It's "paytheon" or "paytreon" or something. & tthe current host (Ray?) is stepping down. Just hope Parrish doesnt take over again- cant abide him.

Ray is my favorite Retronaut. I listened to his other (comedy) podcast for awhile, I cut it because there was too many podcasts. But I think Jeremy is much different this go round, he doesn't have the crappy attitude he had when they weren't crowd funded. So maybe it will be a little different. But the whole crowd-funding a podcast thing is still weird to me. Jeremy did say at the end that he would like to eventually get paid for doing the podcast, but I think that would change the mood. When it's work I think you act accordingly.

But the whole crowd-funding a podcast thing is still weird to me.

Yeah, I hear ya, Ferg.

We accept donations on our website. The small amount that occasionally comes in is appreciated, but it isn't paying the hosting bills (or doing much to help with CGE expenses). It's more of a 'the thought that counts' kind of thing.

That said, I'm not comfortable actively "campaigning" for funding. I do the show because I love the Intellivision, and I love doing the show, plain and simple. Rick and Will feel the same way... well, Will may not after episode 12 comes out, but that's another story.

Personally, I think I'd treat the show the same way if it was a 'paid position'. And I know my wife would be a lot more tolerant of it if that were the case! But I don't see that ever happening.

I'd be open to doing what shows like No Quarter and Gameroom Junkies do - sponsored ads. But a Kickstarter? I don't see that happening.

But if it works for them, more power to the Retronauts. And alluding to what I said earlier, if I get to specifically allocate my donation to stopping any and all pre-crash system discussions by the Retronauts, I'm in.

• Like 2

I back a web video show on Patreon. The Patreon campaigns I'm familiar with all follow a model of doing what they do for free, but accepting donations as an incentive to keep doing it while offering small rewards for backers. It's kind of like an ongoing kickstarter - you pledge to give an amount per "thing" produced (podcast episode, video, whatever). I suppose there are probably completely non-free Patreon projects out there, I'm not overly familiar with the depth of content managed there.

You can set things up a lot of different ways, but the way many do it is that they put out their content for free and add additional content for people who back the show, or they give access to shows earlier for backers, etc. It's a way of getting some financing without having to interrupt the show for ads. Although I think I've heard of shows doing ads within their shows, but offering an ad-free version for backers.

But Paul is right. We do the Intellivisionaries because we like doing it. If people want to help defray the costs of the bandwidth, website, etc., then we're happy to have that little extra. But as Paul indicated, I'm pretty sure it just translates to us having to put in a little less each month rather than it sustaining itself or even paying us anything. I used the paypal button on our site to funnel money towards Paul for my bit of the costs, so it's at least convenient for that!

• Like 2

I would only fish for donations just to pay to be a full member of podomatic, which is $70/month. But anything beyond that, and people start expecting a return on their investment. That creates expectations. Expectations I know I'm too lazy to fulfill, where it becomes more like a job than a fun hobby.

• Like 2

So with the "One and Done Podcast", where different people record their own ep, there's possibly a podcast-within-a-podcast that could be regular. The latest episode is "Primitive Pinball" which has 2 people talking on it, focusing on pre-DMD pinballs. This is a welcome change from the usual modern pinball talk.

On the Edinburough(sp?) podcast, they are interviewing some arcade tournament player from the UK. Records, and all that. He played Missile Command. The one thing that stuck out to me is he said that Roy Schildt(Mr. Awesome) sent him over 600 emails, trying to find out what hotel he was staying in(stateside), and sent a PI after him. Wow.

http://papa.org/papa-tournaments/papa-world-championships/papa-18-world-championships/

S was discussing picking up a firepower pinball table on our FB page and it got me thinking that we should consider doing a Pinball Podcaster Cup at next year's PAPA world championships.

Rick lives in the Pittsburgh area

Ferg is about five hours away in Delaware

We are three hours away in Columbus

S would have to either fly or make a long drive, but with six months of planning time, something can be concocted.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/itatton/7777772310/

That is just the back third of the buliding... it must be seen to be believed.

• Like 2

I should someday venture out to when PAPA's open for the year. The Mecca of pinball.

We had a tournament here in Blaine, MN a while back at Blainebrook(sports bar w bowling, poker, 50 pins). Met Lyman Sheats. Also saw him at Midwest Gaming Classic for 2 years.

Yeah, I hear ya, Ferg.

We accept donations on our website. The small amount that occasionally comes in is appreciated, but it isn't paying the hosting bills (or doing much to help with CGE expenses). It's more of a 'the thought that counts' kind of thing.

That said, I'm not comfortable actively "campaigning" for funding. I do the show because I love the Intellivision, and I love doing the show, plain and simple. Rick and Will feel the same way... well, Will may not after episode 12 comes out, but that's another story.

Personally, I think I'd treat the show the same way if it was a 'paid position'. And I know my wife would be a lot more tolerant of it if that were the case! But I don't see that ever happening.

I'd be open to doing what shows like No Quarter and Gameroom Junkies do - sponsored ads. But a Kickstarter? I don't see that happening.

But if it works for them, more power to the Retronauts. And alluding to what I said earlier, if I get to specifically allocate my donation to stopping any and all pre-crash system discussions by the Retronauts, I'm in.

I am easy, I just stand outside of my favorite retro game store with a bucket and a sign that says "will podcast for food or cash donations" ---- willie! prefers food though :)

• Like 3