IGNORED

Is it just me, or has there been a slight $ uptick in prices lately

tiggerthehun

My guess is Atari 2600 will have a slight increase during this time of year. Remember, this is the Christmas buying season. Almost all businesses do better this time of year. The only things I could see not doing so good are summer related companies.

Perhaps up from the summer but down from the same quarter last year.

My guess is Atari 2600 will have a slight increase during this time of year. Remember, this is the Christmas buying season. Almost all businesses do better this time of year. The only things I could see not doing so good are summer related companies.

LOL, most people are not tracking Atari 2600 prices for the year. I think the original poster was referring to prices recently going up. Also, I don't think the Atari 2600 is down from last Christmas. The Atari 2600 was already pretty low last year when it came to prices. I would say Atari 2600 prices are break even from last year, and lets not forget the Music Machines breaking records, and the Air Raid already at $2000.

Edited by homerwannabee

LOL, most people are not tracking Atari 2600 prices for the year. I think the original poster was referring to prices recently going up. Also, I don't think the Atari 2600 is down from last Christmas. The Atari 2600 was already pretty low last year when it came to prices. I would say Atari 2600 prices are break even from last year, and lets not forget the Music Machines breaking records, and the Air Raid already at $2000.

JC at atari2600.com tracks this data, and in the latest Market Watch newsletter (Vol 4, Issue 10, October 2009) he provides this data:

eBay auction sales September 2008:

Total Auction Sales= =$54,144

Total Bids = 9,696

Total Auctions = 8,514

Completed Auctions = 3,253

Sell-Through = 38.2%

Total Items Sold = 3,431

Avg Daily Sales = $1,840.80

Avg Daily Auctions = 283.8

Avg Auction Amount = $16.64

eBay auction sales September 2009:

Total Auction Sales= =$66,299

Total Bids = 9,841

Total Auctions = 7,039

Sell-Through = 46.2%

Total Items Sold = 3,591

Avg Daily Sales = $2,209.97

Avg Daily Auctions = 234.6

Avg Auction Amount = $20.38

And then provides this Trends & Analysis:

"The robust statistics from September 2009 are inflated by two exceptional auctions which occurred during the month. The finest known boxed complete Music Machine was hammered down for $5655.55 and a boxed Atlantis II was BIN'ed for $3,625. The combined $9,280 paid for these two games equaled 16% of the total September eBay Atari 2600 market. Even adjusted for those sales, the 2009 September auction market outperformed the 2008 market in all measures."

JC at atari2600.com tracks this data, and in the latest Market Watch newsletter (Vol 4, Issue 10, October 2009) he provides this data:

Total Bids = 9,696

Total Auctions = 8,514

Sell-Through = 38.2%

Total Items Sold = 3,431

Total Bids = 9,841

Total Auctions = 7,039

Sell-Through = 46.2%

Total Items Sold = 3,591

"The robust statistics from September 2009 are inflated by two exceptional auctions which occurred during the month. The finest known boxed complete Music Machine was hammered down for $5655.55 and a boxed Atlantis II was BIN'ed for $3,625. The combined $9,280 paid for these two games equaled 16% of the total September eBay Atari 2600 market. Even adjusted for those sales, the 2009 September auction market outperformed the 2008 market in all measures."

Wow, that is some amazing tracking! Good to know the hobby is holding steady. To be honest me, and BuyAtari were just giving educated guesses, but it seems like we were both extremely far off. BuyAtari a little more than me it seems.

Interpreting the auction figures is more of an art than science. When adjusted for the two large sales in September, total Atari 2600 auction sales were up $3000 compared to September 2009. An increase, but not particularly large. What was interesting to me was these sales occured with 1500 fewer auctions. This drove up the percentage of successfull auctions from 38% last year to 46% this year. Fewer Atari 2600 auctions sold for a greater amount this September compared to last, and this is a continuing trend.

I also track the sales of individual Atari 2600 rarities. I combine these auction sales data from the 50 most popular Atari 2600 games on a monthly basis to create a composite index. Really what this does is focusus the broader Atari 2600 auction market down to those games with exceptional value and collectibility. The September 2009 index was 98. This means the same group of 50 games, on average, was selling for 98% of the December 2008 price. The peak this year for collectible Atari 2600 games was February, when the index hit 102. While there are certainly exceptions like the booming price of Texas Chainsaw Massacre cartridges, the overall rarities/collectible Atari 2600 market is down slightly this year through September.

JC

Atari2600.com

Total Bids = 9,696

Total Auctions = 8,514

Sell-Through = 38.2%

Total Items Sold = 3,431

Total Bids = 9,841

Total Auctions = 7,039

Sell-Through = 46.2%

Total Items Sold = 3,591

Wow!... That all got a bit more scientific than I had anticipated! I was actually just thinking about this auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ATARI-2600-SYSTEM-BOXED-42-GAMES-ACCESSORIES_W0QQitemZ300367654187QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item45ef4ead2b

but didn't want to post it as it's another AA'ers auction... (Didn't want to overstep any boundaries there... good for him however!!!)

I don't care about any data. Every year it seems for the past ohh 5 or 6 it gets harder to sell common Atari games. I'm talking about the auctions like the one Homer pointed out with the boxed games and free shipping where the seller lost money selling them. It wasn't that long ago you could sell multiple Kabooms, Froggers and Pitfalls for $8 or $10 with ease at this time of the year. Taking a quick look it looks like Frogger is still a consistant seller but closer to $5 but the other two don't look like consistant sellers at any price.

Sure a boxed music machine or another R10 are still selling for big bucks but for the most part the prices seem lower and they seem harder to sell.

Wow!... That all got a bit more scientific than I had anticipated! I was actually just thinking about this auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ATARI-2600-SYSTEM-BOXED-42-GAMES-ACCESSORIES_W0QQitemZ300367654187QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item45ef4ead2b

but didn't want to post it as it's another AA'ers auction... (Didn't want to overstep any boundaries there... good for him however!!!)

Well he has alot of auctions that don't sell.

On second look perhaps the market is up. When you can sell common Osheas titles for $20 !

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300368450857

On second look perhaps the market is up. When you can sell common Osheas titles for $20 !

When did O'Sheas have red Space Invaders boxed? Maybe either a very long time ago, or just that I never knew about, but to my knowledge they never had this. Am I wrong?

EDIT: I see they must have had it at one time, but probably not for a long time, and apparently not now. So, it's really no longer an O'Shea's title.

Edited by Mirage1972

When did O'Sheas have red Space Invaders boxed? Maybe either a very long time ago, or just that I never knew about, but to my knowledge they never had this. Am I wrong?

EDIT: I see they must have had it at one time, but probably not for a long time, and apparently not now. So, it's really no longer an O'Shea's title.

I guess perhaps they are out but sometimes when I used to call I'd get titles listed as sold out like the red box Qbert. Who ever thought they would run out? I ordered dozen of the Space Invaders and I know Mike at Video Game Connection did the same. i guess I'm getting old. The games were less than a $1 then.

Yeah, gotcha. I was just saying it's not like it's one that they are advertising as having in stock. It's not like it was a Football or Dig Dug for $20. Though, I'm sure that happens to, to some noobs.

Red or not it is still Space Invaders but yeah it looks like you can't order it on Osheas without a phone call. They may or may not have it. They do have over a million games! Mike at VGC got a mean 18 golf but only 1 for less than a buck back in the day just by asking for any titles not listed on the sight. They don't know what they have.

I just ran across this article and found it interesting.

http://www.financialpost.com/story.html?id=2248935

I don't care about any data.

No matter how you spin it data does matter.

The problem with data is that it can often be manipulated or be just plain incorrect. It is very hard to obtain actual, useable data from ebay that paints a true picture. Whilst Joe does amazing work and I look forward to his monthly newsletter, I tend to follow BuyAtari's sentiment on this one. But it is just a feeling...

I don't care about any data.

No matter how you spin it data does matter.

The problem with data is that it can often be manipulated or be just plain incorrect. It is very hard to obtain actual, useable data from ebay that paints a true picture. Whilst Joe does amazing work and I look forward to his monthly newsletter, I tend to follow BuyAtari's sentiment on this one. But it is just a feeling...

Well that is just it. Comparing thousands of unknowns to thousands of unknowns. Is a lot of 100 games considered 1 auction? In one month were there more complete games than loose games? Does the search pick those with Atari in the title or just those in the videogames atari section. If a hot topic Atari t-shirt is sold in the Atari section does it get included? What about the flashback unit? What about auctions in the classic games section are those included? Way too many variables.

Some websites out there track the ebay sales of particular titles but even then they don't pick and choose between loose and new sealed.

You want the truth ask the mega resellers. They should know more than anyone.