IGNORED

TROGBlog - Death of a Laptop

RSS Bot

My main laptop died last month. It was a Dell Vostro 1400, and I was very happy with it up until the video card fried. Its best feature was the Nvidia Geforce 8400GS video card, which had its own dedicated video memory. Regrettably, that feature was its undoing.

The system died a couple months after the 1 year warranty expired. I did some research on the problem, and found that graphic card failures due to overheating were a common problem for this particular laptop model, common enough that Dell has supposedly extended the warranty for an extra year if it fails for this reason. Hopefully I can get it fixed under warranty.

Unfortunately I had all my Atari development code on that system. The good news is that the harddrive is still intact, and the system still boots. I just can't see the display at all. The main laptop display is blank, and the external display port is also blank. I'll have to work with Dell to figure out how I can get the data off that harddrive without voiding my warranty. I have an external SATA disk reader. If I can pull the diskdrive out of the system, I can backup all its contents. There is no way I'm shipping off a system for repair work without backing it up entirely. I've heard to many horror stories.

I'm now back on an old laptop that I haven't used in two years. It was so old, it had Stella 2.1 installed. Since I can't access any of my existing Atari work, that has left me with a clean slate to spend a few hours yesterday doing a 2600 port feasibility study. I'll post the results soon, probably tomorrow. Here's a snapshot of what I have so far:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/gallery/1254209109/med_gallery_5668_432_997.png

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?app=blog&blogid=138&showentry=6634