IGNORED

5200 masterplay clone info

sphutch78

I have found several sights listing schematics to make your own masterplay for the 5200 but i'm not the best at understanding what i'm looking at. I have done mods before but with piture guides. I need some help form the community to find a picture guide to make my own masterplay with radio shack parts. If i learn how to make them i'm sure I could help others out, love to solder! If no help them maybe someone knows where i can buy a clone.

I have found several sights listing schematics to make your own masterplay for the 5200 but i'm not the best at understanding what i'm looking at. I have done mods before but with piture guides. I need some help form the community to find a picture guide to make my own masterplay with radio shack parts. If i learn how to make them i'm sure I could help others out, love to solder! If no help them maybe someone knows where i can buy a clone.

i don't like them as an atari joystick only has one button and it makes it not so fun paying say moon patrol or qix

might be better off making adapters that use a pc joystick like say the kraft or gravis

like this

http://cgi.ebay.com/KRAFT-KC3-IBM-APPLE-11-JOYSTICK-CONTROLLER-VINTAGE_W0QQitemZ280431646791QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item414b075847

http://cgi.ebay.com/Computer-joy-stick-by-Gravis_W0QQitemZ260516626237QQcmdZViewItemQQptZPCA_Joysticks_Game_Controllers?hash=item3ca8003f3d

since oozbee came out nobody has a 15 pin port no more

Edited by bohoki

I don't have a step by step guide but here's a pic and schematic of the ones I make:

post-7533-125982525192_thumb.jpg

Sega GND <-------> 5200 GND

Sega Btn B <-------> 5200 Bottom Fire

Sega Btn A <-------> 5200 Top Fire

It uses the following parts:

General Purpose PNP (like 2n3906) transistor x 2

General Purpose Diode (like 1n4001) x 2

1/4 watt 1k resistor x 2

1/4 watt 270k resistor x 2

You also need a 9-pin male connector for the sega pad and a 15-pin female connector to hook it to the 5200. I build them to use a wico-y cable then I only need 9-pin connetors and it already has the plug for the standard controler. These will give you two-button functionality when used with a sega pad and they also work with regular 2600 sticks.

I also sell them and have one built now. Its setup to be used with a wico-y cable and is housed in a little 3x2x1 radio shack project box. I've been selling them for $25 each, PM me if your interested. Here's a link to the thread in the Marketplace.

I don't have a step by step guide but here's a pic and schematic of the ones I make:

1/4 watt 1k resistor x 2

You also need a 9-pin male connector for the sega pad and a 15-pin female connector to hook it to the 5200. I build them to use a wico-y cable then I only need 9-pin connetors and it already has the plug for the standard controler. These will give you two-button functionality when used with a sega pad and they also work with regular 2600 sticks.

I also sell them and have one built now. Its setup to be used with a wico-y cable and is housed in a little 3x2x1 radio shack project box. I've been selling them for $25 each, PM me if your interested. Here's a link to the thread in the Marketplace.

1/4 watt 1k resistor x 2

I have the wico y cable for the 5200 with the 15 pin and 9 pin, What does the bottom of the board look like and how do i connect each end to the two pins connectors?

I have the wico y cable for the 5200 with the 15 pin and 9 pin, What does the bottom of the board look like and how do i connect each end to the two pins connectors?

well if that schematic works good (which i think it probably wont as choplifter will be constanly drifting i woudl suggest changing out the 270k with some pots for fine adjustment even the pots from sacraficial 2600 paddls woudl work ok)

having a wico y cable you would have a little adapter box with a 9 pin male on one side for the joystick and a female that attaches to the wico 9 pin

the female would be

#2 GND

#3 Top fire button

#4 Bottom fire button

#5 Vertical pot

#6 Pot common

#7 Horizontal pot

the male would be

1 up

2 down

3 left

4 right

6 fire

8 ground for all

9 button 2 on (sega master system and 7800)

1/4 watt 1k resistor x 2

I still need to see both sides of the board and a pic of how the box is connected inside to both 9 and 15 connector. please help with these pics.

hmm once you get that built make 2 of them and you coudl copy my top secret dual warrior project

step one find 2 identical joysticks

DCP_7662.jpg

step 2 make plates that will clamp them together

DCP_7663.jpg

step 3 robotron goodness

DCP_7664.jpg

just a bit of advice dont yous sucky joysticks like i did cause you cant unsuck a joystick

hmm once you get that built make 2 of them and you coudl copy my top secret dual warrior project

step one find 2 identical joysticks

DCP_7662.jpg

step 2 make plates that will clamp them together

DCP_7663.jpg

step 3 robotron goodness

DCP_7664.jpg

just a bit of advice dont yous sucky joysticks like i did cause you cant unsuck a joystick

Not sure what i'm looking at . why two sticks? Still no one willl show me a picture of how the male and female pins connect inside the box and what the parts listed look like inside the box connected and finished. Please shed some light. If you don't want the atari community to see how to make the clone then email me a pic and guide at sphutch78@hotmail.com. please help. Its obvious you guys can make these work and i want to make one myself but i need your help beyond schematics.

1/4 watt 1k resistor x 2

ok bought all the stuff but couldn't get a 270resistor bought enough to piggyback please help me i have the material and no clue where else to turn. not sure how to connect to the two nine pin connectors and what pins to connect to. please help a fellow buckeye....

Edited by sphutch78

i don't like them as an atari joystick only has one button and it makes it not so fun paying say moon patrol or qix

might be better off making adapters that use a pc joystick like say the kraft or gravis

like this

http://cgi.ebay.com/...=item414b075847

http://cgi.ebay.com/...=item3ca8003f3d

I just bought a 5200 lot on eBay, and when I receive it, the first thing I gotta do is open and repair the included CX-52s... icon_confused.gif

But I've got one of those Gravis joysticks that's shown in the auction... wonder what could be done to make it work with the 5200? Would I need to fashion some sort of adapter? Even though both the console and stick have DB15 connectors, I can imagine it would not be as simple as using a gender changer to bridge the gap. Any ideas?

(A bit of useless trivia... on the 90s game show "Nick Arcade", the contestant lectern had four of those exact same Gravis joysticks, which were wired up to serve as buzz-in devices. Pretty sweet.)

Edited by DrLove0378

like this

http://cgi.ebay.com/...=item414b075847

http://cgi.ebay.com/...=item3ca8003f3d

I just bought a 5200 lot on eBay, and when I receive it, the first thing I gotta do is open and repair the included CX-52s... icon_confused.gif

But I've got one of those Gravis joysticks that's shown in the auction... wonder what could be done to make it work with the 5200? Would I need to fashion some sort of adapter? Even though both the console and stick have DB15 connectors, I can imagine it would not be as simple as using a gender changer to bridge the gap. Any ideas?

(A bit of useless trivia... on the 90s game show "Nick Arcade", the contestant lectern had four of those exact same Gravis joysticks, which were wired up to serve as buzz-in devices. Pretty sweet.)

http://www.atarihq.com/5200/5200faq/06_04.html

ps a .22ufd cap sometimes has the code "224" on it

Edited by bohoki