IGNORED

Reliable video capture

GroovyBee

I've been trying to get my Hauppauge WinTV USB device to capture RF video output from both PAL and NTSC 7800s. It doesn't work until I change between S-Video and RF input modes quickly and then it only captures a single frame image (even then, its intermittent). Most images captured look like the display has rolled too :(. Normal TV and other later generation consoles work fine.

Further information :-

- The console's video channel is auto detected correctly when I enable the scan.

- Sometimes when altering the fine tune for the channel I'll get video for a fraction of a second.

This leads me to the ask what hardware do you use to capture video output from your 7800?

I've been trying to get my Hauppauge WinTV USB device to capture RF video output from both PAL and NTSC 7800s. It doesn't work until I change between S-Video and RF input modes quickly and then it only captures a single frame image (even then, its intermittent). Most images captured look like the display has rolled too icon_sad.gif. Normal TV and other later generation consoles work fine.

Further information :-

- The console's video channel is auto detected correctly when I enable the scan.

- Sometimes when altering the fine tune for the channel I'll get video for a fraction of a second.

This leads me to the ask what hardware do you use to capture video output from your 7800?

I use an Elgato TV Plus, but it's Mac only unfortunately.

This is because the 7800 video signal really isn't compliant. Most displays will display it, but many capture cards won't capture it because some elements of the signal they need to sync with are not present at all times in the 7800 display.

I have one of these, and it captures damn near everything nicely:

http://www.adstech.com/products/PTV-384-EF/intro/PTV-384-EF_intro.asp?pid=PTV-384-EF

Not cheap, but it works well.

It can double as a PVR, if you want! Amazing that works over USB, but it does.

I picked up a cheap $70 Stand alone DVD recorder from Future Shop. Easy to record my game footage then it is already recorded to a digital media and as a bonus I can keep the disc for archiving purposes. You could also use cheap Re-writable media and simply use discs over and over, pop the disc into PC and load into a Editing program. This method has worked out to be very cheap with high quality results.

I've got one of those. It's a good quality capture for the price. For Ataris, it's great actually as the machines don't exceed the resolution of the device. For higher detail things, it's not so great.

One nice thing is that device has really great, loose signal tolerances. Resolution isn't the best, but it will capture nearly anything.

Edited by potatohead