IGNORED

Uhh, Donkey Kong for 5200?

jeremysart

Well I couldn't find it on eBuy, Amazon, or Game Gavel, and its not listed at all on the AA 5200 rarity list :|

But there is a video of it on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9-VHtAqMJs among many others.

Is this game rare to find or something? And why is it not listed here http://www.atariage.com/software_list.html?SystemID=5200 at all??

:?

Well I couldn't find it on eBuy, Amazon, or Game Gavel, and its not listed at all on the AA 5200 rarity list :|

But there is a video of it on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9-VHtAqMJs among many others.

Is this game rare to find or something? And why is it not listed here http://www.atariage.com/software_list.html?SystemID=5200 at all??

its a xe conversion someone did like spy hunter

Back in the day, Atari had exclusive rights to make Donkey Kong for computers, while Coleco had it for consoles. Thus, no Donkey Kong for the 5200 from Atari. But the one they made for the 8-bit is fantastic (arguably the best DK port of the classic era). Kenfused ported that over to the 5200.

Edited by Ransom

• 4 weeks later...

If you want 5200 Donkey Kong, click here!

• 3 weeks later...
:cool: There is probably an answer to this somewhere on here but it is early and I'm too lazy right now to look. Is there a post or a man file somewhere that explains how to port games from ROM or disk image or whatever form to a cart? I imagine there is some expensive hardware involved to "write" to the cart, and probably some programing to translate controls from the computer input to a 5200 controller layout. Maybe some legal wrangling are involved that makes distributing the knowledge uncool?

:cool: There is probably an answer to this somewhere on here but it is early and I'm too lazy right now to look. Is there a post or a man file somewhere that explains how to port games from ROM or disk image or whatever form to a cart? I imagine there is some expensive hardware involved to "write" to the cart, and probably some programing to translate controls from the computer input to a 5200 controller layout. Maybe some legal wrangling are involved that makes distributing the knowledge uncool?

implied-facepalm.jpg

implied-facepalm.jpg

I'd have expected more decorum from someone of your stature on this forum.

• Like 2

I think the gist was that if you had the ability to use that info, you probably wouldn't have asked the question in the first place. Every game is different.

Disassembly

Reverse-engineer

Edit to conform to the 5200's memory usage and control method

Assemble to binary file

Burn to Eprom

I think the gist was that if you had the ability to use that info, you probably wouldn't have asked the question in the first place. Every game is different.

Disassembly

Reverse-engineer

Edit to conform to the 5200's memory usage and control method

Assemble to binary file

Burn to Eprom

The gift of judging ones abilities re: Intelligence through a post on a forum must be discouraged. Its that kind of treatment that curbs anyone's desire to learn. I'm glad that this arbitrary judgment is not prevalent in society or we'd all still be reading Dick and Jane books.

Thank you for the high level description, I'm regretful that I ever posted anything.

Guys, be nice. Doyman's question was legitimate--we're not all born with the knowledge on how to create ports of games from the 8-bit computers to the 5200. There's nothing wrong with asking the question. If you don't want to answer it, I'd appreciate your simply moving on to the next thread instead of responding with a derisive post.

..Al

CPU's really gonna be firing up the PPV stuff these days it seems!

It's cool to see that such a great port was done. I'm surprised porting from 800 to 5200 isn't much easier than other types of ports because the 5200 is, essentially, an 800 computer, right? Wouldn't that make porting a LOT easier?

The most common conversion in the 80s was hackers (especially Glenn, The 5200 Man) porting games from the 5200 to the computer.

The 5200 had some exclusive titles to distinguish it from the computer line, although I beleive Atari themselves released a few on the computers later on.

There were also some games that had different revisions through the years, from memory Dig Dug, Mario Bros and Centipede.

The biggest hurdle for porting games from the computer is that the 5200 only has 16K RAM. Not really a problem for most of the older carts but the later ones often needed 40K RAM or more.

The secondary hurdles, and somewhat big in themselves are that the method of reading the controllers is totally different across both systems and that the 5200 has Pokey and GTIA mapped to different locations in memory.

That said, many later cartridge games in fact were kinda kludgy and essentially were just a case of putting games that were originally disk releases onto ROM and then just running the game by copying the relevant parts to RAM.