IGNORED

atari2600land's Blog - Long Songs again

RSS Bot

I got interested in my long songs collection again, buying a CD version of "Don Juan's Reckless Daughter" by Joni Mitchell from eBay for the 16-minute song "Paprika Plains." I have this album on vinyl, but I want to get all the songs I have on vinyl and not CD on CD. I have succeeded for the most part, but there are a few "most wanted" I have. "Salisbury" by Uriah Heep (the title track of the album), and "Foreigner Suite" by Cat Stevens from his album "Foreigner". Long songs have been made in almost every genre: rock, jazz, heavy metal, new age, etc. by such famous artists as Bob Dylan, Neil Young, NOFX, Pink Floyd, Emerson Lake and Palmer, etc. I don't know why I'm fascinated by them, I guess it's because i find it fascinating that people have played or sang for longer than 15 minutes on just one song. But why the minimum of 15 minutes? Oddly enough, while googling the subject, I came across the Dutch Progressive Rock Page's list which had that rule. So, I decided to start buying some albums with songs listed there. I currently have a little less than 100 in my CD collection. I had to count such songs as "Tubular Bells", "Thick As a Brick" and "A Passion Play" as two songs because the record labels (stupidly) put them on CD as two different tracks. The longest one is still Dream Theater's "Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence" off the Score live album (because the one on the studio album of the same name is broken up into 8 different tracks.) which is 41:33 in length, while the shortest one is "Iowa" by Slipknot at 15:03. Now you are probably asking, "Do you even listen to the songs?" The answer is yes. Because of this project i have discovered (and began to love) such artists as Tangerine Dream, Yes, Dream Theater, and Frank Zappa.

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?app=blog&blogid=168&showentry=6689