IGNORED

HSC Season 7 Week 19: Skiing

Ze_ro

Todd Rogers didn't do that. I've had a bounty up on twin galaxies for many months now for

27.80 and no one has claimed it yet because it is not possible.

Yeah, I call BS as well. Only way to do 27.51 is to find an exploit. I would believe 27.91. I had room for improvement on my 27.96 run. I sent a PM to Todd via AtariAge, asking how he did it... no response so far.

If it was BS wouldn't Twin Galaxies know that, because they require a video of the persons game?

Many Todd's scores on TG... seem unobtainable.

@toymailman - Yeah, have to raise a quizzical eye on that one. Many ways to cheat on that game. My cheat was to take a wico bat, internally wire the up and the left together and the down and right together, then "run" by going SW <--> NE on the stick. Really helps your speed :cool:. I would be curious to see that video.

The scores I have on TG for Decathlon all use the standard CX-40 (its what I use for every joystick game). :)

I'll have to try a track ball now to see what happens.

Make sure it's in track ball mode. If you set it up that way, all you have to do is spin the ball one direction at a slow to medium pace. The best way to describe it is to "walk" your fingers on the ball.

I don't see that being the way David Crane envisioned Decathlon being played. Then again, I don't think Bob Whitehead expected anyone to play Skiing with the paddles, either. :ponder:

Edited by shadow460

Not much of an improvement... at this point I'm wondering how I can do a more perfect run than this?? :?

post-17553-126213009912_thumb.png

Try to memorize which gates you can go through without making any corrections at all. Go straight through those, then graze the inner flagpoles on the ones you can't. I know you have to make some major turns at or around gates 10, 18, and 21, counting up from 1 as you ski downhill.

Also, comparing the position of the skier's head to your time can help you line him up to graze the next pole.

• 4 weeks later...

Todd's 27:51 Skiing time was first published in the Activisions newsletter. Back in the day, all Activision required was a photo of the screen to qualify for their patches.

It was my understanding that Twin Galaxies simply accepted the scores printed in the Activisions newsletter, rather than having current video proof of the time, or they went by a photo, (which is no longer accepted.)

It is also my understanding that there is indeed a glitch in Skiing that involves toggling the difficulty switch mid-run. Toggling resets the skier to the center of the screen, enabling the player to cross the screen faster, and thus, saving time. David Yancey hepped me up to this, and confirmed that using this trick, he was able to achieve the 27:51 time.

Perhaps Todd discovered this glitch back in the day, and exploited it for the sake of having the "Activisions" record. Who knows for sure?

As for his Decathlon scores, they are the real deal! David Yancey witnessed Todd in person, playing Decathlon using a regular joystick. Simply put, he said it was amazing watching Todd max the energy bar.