IGNORED

5200 power supply replacements?

kemmer

Does anyone know of a replacement for the 5200 power supply? It seems like I remember that one of the 8 bit machines used the same PS. anyone know for sure?

I think the 5200 is the only machine that uses that plug. I've heard you can mod other power supplies using the plug from a cordless phone battery and it will fit, however it won't have the little fin on it that guards against plugging it in with the wrong polarity.

Does anyone know of a replacement for the 5200 power supply? It seems like I remember that one of the 8 bit machines used the same PS. anyone know for sure?

I think the 5200 is the only machine that uses that plug. I've heard you can mod other power supplies using the plug from a cordless phone battery and it will fit, however it won't have the little fin on it that guards against plugging it in with the wrong polarity.

You are thinking of the 7800.

And no you don't want to use a power supply from the Atari 8bit computers, it will fry your 5200.

Mitch

The 5200 and the first version of the Sega Genesis use the same plug with opposite polarity. And although some 5200 power supplies are 12V 1A, enough of them are 9V 1A that there's no reason not to use the Sega power supply. If you go this way, it would really be best if you could mod the 5200 to include a bridge rectifier so as to be independent of polarity.

Of course even better would be to find a modern switching power supply brick. They're much lighter, much more reliable, and it shouldn't be hard to find one in the 9V-12V 1A range.

You are thinking of the 7800.

And no you don't want to use a power supply from the Atari 8bit computers, it will fry your 5200.

Mitch

Oooh, yeah. Sorry, somehow got my brain turned sideways there.

The 5200 and the first version of the Sega Genesis use the same plug with opposite polarity. And although some 5200 power supplies are 12V 1A, enough of them are 9V 1A that there's no reason not to use the Sega power supply. If you go this way, it would really be best if you could mod the 5200 to include a bridge rectifier so as to be independent of polarity.

Of course even better would be to find a modern switching power supply brick. They're much lighter, much more reliable, and it shouldn't be hard to find one in the 9V-12V 1A range.

couldn't I just cut the cord and switch the wires?