IGNORED

Are Atari commons not worth anything anymore?

Parrothead

90 games for $10

I won this, and then told the seller to relist as I was not going to pay only $10 for these. My question is why didn't this go higher?

http://www.gamegavel.com/item.cgi?show_item=0000242649

Gives Parrothead a slap aside the head. What is wrong with you? Really, how on earth is this going to get people to go to your website? Show off the auctions that go sky high, not the ones that take a big old dump, and stink to high heaven. Only show low auction results for Ebay auctions. Really, if I have a bunch of commons why would I want to sell on your site after you just showed me that?

Just an honest question. Commons sell just as good on GG as on Ebay, they don't. But a large lot like this seems like it should have sold for more than this and I know we have lots of AA'ers searching the site. Maybe ending Christmas weekend is a mistake.

Well what I am saying is that you could of shown an Ebay auction with your honest question, instead of your own. And you had to pick a real bad one as well. I am just trying to help. You asked an honest question, and I gave an honest answer.

I see two in there that I'd probably pay $10 for separately ($5 each). Should have sold for more, but maybe there were just no new collectors looking at the time. I wouldn't be too interested in that many dupes either since I'm not a reseller.

Just an honest question. Commons sell just as good on GG as on Ebay, they don't. But a large lot like this seems like it should have sold for more than this and I know we have lots of AA'ers searching the site. Maybe ending Christmas weekend is a mistake.

Well what I am saying is that you could of shown an Ebay auction with your honest question, instead of your own. And you had to pick a real bad one as well. I am just trying to help. You asked an honest question, and I gave an honest answer.

As you all know I have nothing to hide here. I am a game collector too, so just curious why these went so low. I normally wouldn't try to dis my own site, but the collector inside me overruled the business owner, that's all. Maybe just an abberation. Happens on Ebay too occasionally.

Edited by Parrothead

I'll take them if you don't want them :) has a couple games I don't have, I've only been collecting for about a year for Atari 2600 and don't have all the fairly common games yet, like I still don't have Air-Sea Battle(I know :() it's just that buying singles is stupid becaus the shipping is ussally more then the game on most commons

If this was auctioned on ebay it would probably have gone for more. The problem with GG is that it is mostly dedicated to established collectors who already have all these games so selling common lots there is probably redundant.

Very true, GameGavel for the most part currently only gets veiws from collector circles and after you take away the couple million Joe Blow buyers ebay has surfing everyday, you get 90 game lots going for $10 bucks instead of the $50 to $100 it would have got on ebay. GameGavel is in a real state of affairs right now trying to expand to a larger audience but at the same time are starting to alienate the core that got that site started and the happy medium has not yet been found. I personally see it getting worse before things pick back up on GameGavel again do to the new listing fees, credit card registration and higher final value fees. The exposure you get to millions of potential customers on ebay is why they get away with the fee structure the have. GG just does not have that many eyes or marketing power as of yet to be charging "half or less" of what ebay charges cause as it sits right now it's worth the extra to be listing on ebay VS GG as much as I wish that wasn't true. Business is business but you gotta keep business to be a business. Here's hoping things get back on track for GG as soon as possible and all the new stuff going on at GG works out for the best.

90 games for $10

I won this, and then told the seller to relist as I was not going to pay only $10 for these. My question is why didn't this go higher?

http://www.gamegavel...item=0000242649

1) As you noted, ending on 12/27 is probably not an optimal time given the Xmas holiday.

2) As another person noted, GameGavel's audience is differently configured than that of eBay, and the market for 90 loose, relatively average carts will probably make this lot less attractive for the GG audience.

3) The seller, registered since 11/15/2008, has a feedback rating of 1. This might make a potential bidder a smidge skittish. As an aside, it might point to the particular type of traffic that GG gets.

4) More generally, the price for loose carts (2600) has been dropping, dropping, dropping. Yes, there are those auctions where 2 noobs start a bidding war, or someone gets a special hankerin' for one of those nostalgia systems, but generally the market is depressed for these types of carts. Yes, $10 for 90 carts is startlingly low (and might have been a great deal for someone), and it was swell of you to do that for the seller, so perhaps a better time for selling will yield a better price, maybe more around the $45 mark people have been citing.

If this was auctioned on ebay it would probably have gone for more. The problem with GG is that it is mostly dedicated to established collectors who already have all these games so selling common lots there is probably redundant.

Very true, GameGavel for the most part currently only gets veiws from collector circles and after you take away the couple million Joe Blow buyers ebay has surfing everyday, you get 90 game lots going for $10 bucks instead of the $50 to $100 it would have got on ebay. GameGavel is in a real state of affairs right now trying to expand to a larger audience but at the same time are starting to alienate the core that got that site started and the happy medium has not yet been found. I personally see it getting worse before things pick back up on GameGavel again do to the new listing fees, credit card registration and higher final value fees. The exposure you get to millions of potential customers on ebay is why they get away with the fee structure the have. GG just does not have that many eyes or marketing power as of yet to be charging "half or less" of what ebay charges cause as it sits right now it's worth the extra to be listing on ebay VS GG as much as I wish that wasn't true. Business is business but you gotta keep business to be a business. Here's hoping things get back on track for GG as soon as possible and all the new stuff going on at GG works out for the best.

I wish the best for GG, but am turned off by the sellers who are preying on the well-monied clientele at the expense of all buyers. In other words, why are VCS carts being listed for minimum bids of $29? I just don't get it.

Also, in the early going, GG offered free lifetime listing fees for sellers, and I barely missed the cutoff. Lately, I just haven't had the extra money to list anything, either on GG or Ebay, so free listing fees would be a huge benefit to unemployed people like myself. I have lots of stuff to sell from my large collection, but no means of listing at the present time.

I'll take them if you don't want them :) has a couple games I don't have, I've only been collecting for about a year for Atari 2600 and don't have all the fairly common games yet, like I still don't have Air-Sea Battle(I know :() it's just that buying singles is stupid becaus the shipping is ussally more then the game on most commons

I believe he is going to relist them. I just couldn't in good faith buy them for $10. I will be bidding again, and maybe this time it will go a bit higher :)

I am really not meaning to alienate anyone here. I just think I have done as much as I can do with the classic gamers. There really hasn't been any growth in game listings for about 6 months now. There are tons of people with free accounts who are just not using them, although I wish they would :) I need to make inroads to the modern day gamer to help add to the sites growth. It simply won't survive with classic gamers alone, unfortunately. The best thing you can do as gamers, looking to help our growth, is to list some things (especially if you have a free account) or to bid on some things as we do have good items for sale nearly all the time.

We have a couple other things that will be in place after Jan 1st. that should add to some sustained revenue which I will be plowing back into marketing on Facebook, Google, etc. Help me out guys :) The Screwattack relationship is still in the early stages, but will be ramping up after the 1st as well. So far their two videos have brought in about 100 new members our of our total December signups of about 250 (and now up to nearly 20,000 unique visitors for the past 30 days, which is way up) over the past two weeks so we are having a good month. And these gamers are looking for NES, SNES, Genesis,etc. games. The site is still growing and right now more people than ever are searching it. Now we just need the listings to kick back in. If you have a free account, please help us out as there is no cost to you. There will be tons of gamers thankful for your contributions.

And I will make this deal to you. If you currently do not have a free seller account and want one. PM Me. If you can guarantee me some steady listings, and will actually use the account starting now, I will give you a lifetime account. This is open to 20 memberships. If you are already a member I will upgrade your account. These free seller accounts are now worth more than ever in my opinion.

Edited by Parrothead

Hmm...so you're saying that if one is a buyer one should buy on Dec. 27th.....which would make sense seeing as how I just got a lot of two DS -- one fat, one DSLite -- for $40 on eBay plus $10 shipping. $52 for TWO nintendo DS....sweet. :D

Hmm...so you're saying that if one is a buyer one should buy on Dec. 27th.....which would make sense seeing as how I just got a lot of two DS -- one fat, one DSLite -- for $40 on eBay plus $10 shipping. $52 for TWO nintendo DS....sweet. :D

Ya, I think so :) I was one of the bidders on the Terra. Went in with a $50 high bid about three hours ago. Crazy this didn't get higher. I wonder what the reserve was?

Also, I upgraded your account too :) No fees for you on GG for life !

Edited by Parrothead
  • Like 1

I was the high bidder on that RT1. That's been the 4th or 5th time he's listed it with a reserve that hasn't been met. At some point he's either going to have to drop the reserve or keep it.

Maybe you'll get lucky and find one in a thrift for $1 - that would be a great way to end the story! :)

• Like 1