IGNORED

signed 1982 Atari Age Club poster gets $499.99

Zwackery

I thought this was an interesting item:

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 3703096106711?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=370309610671&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

The poster has been autographed by a half dozen industry legends: David Crane, designer of Pitfall and countless other games, Howard Scott Warshaw, designer of Yar's Revenge, E.T, and many others, Bob Smith, who created the original Atari Touch Me handheld and designed games for Atari and Imagic, which he co-founded, Todd Frye, designer of Atari 2600 Pac-Man, Dennis Koble, another designer for Atari and co-founder of Imagic, and Rob Fulop, designer of 2600 Missile Command, Demon Attack, and countless other games during his illustrious career.

This is the kind of collectable--obviously from my private collection-- that has never been on eBay (or anywhere else) before, and never will be again. The starting price reflects the fact that I neither need to sell this item nor do I desparately want to, but I thought I'd put it out there to see if Wonder007 had an interest, and to give other collectors a chance to just have a look.

fixed the auction text! :D ;)

This is the kind of collectable--obviously from my private collection-- that has never been on eBay (or anywhere else) before, and never will be again. The starting price reflects the fact that I neither need to sell this item nor do I desparately want to, but I thought I'd put it out there to see if Wonder007 had an interest, and to give other collectors a chance to just have a look.

fixed the auction text! :D ;)

Wonder007 is not the only one who spends that kind of money.

Allan

• Like 1

That's a no no, shawn, you obviously havent heard the noos about Mssr's Brown and Obama clamp down on tax havens off the US mainland (like Bahamas, cayman, virgin islands etc etc)...I was just told that a couple a days ago (that will ultimately affect foreign investments and money/funds coming into and going from those geog. markets)

I would love to have that poster. So who is going to reproduce it so we all can have a copy? :ponder:

Allan

Isn't the poster a blown up Atari Age cover? A poster would be easy to make if so.

It wouldn't look as good, assuming that's not how they made the original poster... which I doubt it is.

I would love to have that poster. So who is going to reproduce it so we all can have a copy? :ponder:

Allan

Isn't the poster a blown up Atari Age cover? A poster would be easy to make if so.

Yeah, it is, and with todays tech, it wouldn't be a problem to turn a mint issue into a poster.

atariagev1n1.jpg

No, but the rosettes would be 4 times as big. I'm not saying it couldn't be made to look good, but it wouldn't look as good as the original poster. The linescreen on the cover was probably 150, maybe 175, and it was probably the same on the poster (possibly as low as 133 on the poster). So blowing up that cover to even 4x the cover's size, you'd be at the equivalent of about 35-50 linescreen sized rosettes. You could do it, yes, but without the original art, you couldn't replicate the "resolution" of the original poster.

No, but the rosettes would be 4 times as big. I'm not saying it couldn't be made to look good, but it wouldn't look as good as the original poster. The linescreen on the cover was probably 150, maybe 175, and it was probably the same on the poster (possibly as low as 133 on the poster). So blowing up that cover to even 4x the cover's size, you'd be at the equivalent of about 35-50 linescreen sized rosettes. You could do it, yes, but without the original art, you couldn't replicate the "resolution" of the original poster.

if someone feels like scanning the cover in 1200 dpi and upload it to rapidshare, i'd be willing to clean up the whole thing, make the dots dissapear and upload a nice printable file for everyone ;)

if someone feels like scanning the cover in 1200 dpi and upload it to rapidshare, i'd be willing to clean up the whole thing, make the dots dissapear and upload a nice printable file for everyone ;)

How can you make rosettes disappear? This must be technology I've never heard of. You can improve the quality, but how can you remove a rosette pattern once printed on an offset press?

How can you make rosettes disappear? This must be technology I've never heard of. You can improve the quality, but how can you remove a rosette pattern once printed on an offset press?

a well balanced mixture of the gaussian blur and unsharp masking in photoshop ... on a high resolution scan .... the same "technology" i already used 15 years ago ... it's just much easier nowadays thanks to quadcore cpus and 8 gigs of RAM :)

a well balanced mixture of the gaussian blur and unsharp masking in photoshop ... on a high resolution scan .... the same "technology" i already used 15 years ago ... it's just much easier nowadays thanks to quadcore cpus and 8 gigs of RAM :)

Well, yeah, that's what I meant when I said you could fake it and make it good enough. My only point was that it's not possible via any technology to actually replicate that poster in the original linescreen the poster was printed at unless you have either the original poster, the art that created it, or the original film that the original printing plates it was printed with. I'm not trying to discourage anyone from doing it, but I just don't want someone to come along and think that they're going to be able to somehow make an exact counterfeit of this poster by using a cover scan... not possible. But it could look good enough to hang on your wall, sure! I hope you or someone else does it and makes it available. Would look awesome in gamerooms.

Wouldn't it be better to use scans from the boxes since they are bigger than pictures on the AtariAge magazine? Then you could cut and paste them altogether. The only part you'ld have to make from scratch would be the AtariAge logo which doesn't look to hard.

Allan

Well, yeah, that's what I meant when I said you could fake it and make it good enough. My only point was that it's not possible via any technology to actually replicate that poster in the original linescreen the poster was printed at unless you have either the original poster, the art that created it, or the original film that the original printing plates it was printed with. I'm not trying to discourage anyone from doing it, but I just don't want someone to come along and think that they're going to be able to somehow make an exact counterfeit of this poster by using a cover scan... not possible. But it could look good enough to hang on your wall, sure! I hope you or someone else does it and makes it available. Would look awesome in gamerooms.

well if you wanna be absolutely perfect, not even the poster would help, only the films ... that is if you planned to stand only 1 inch away from the poster and inspect it with a microscope.

for non-printers/designers ... the "remastered" version would probably be good enough ....

well if you wanna be absolutely perfect, not even the poster would help, only the films ... that is if you planned to stand only 1 inch away from the poster and inspect it with a microscope.

for non-printers/designers ... the "remastered" version would probably be good enough ....

Yes, the remastered version would be good enough for the average viewer who isn't real picky (by which I mean most people, non-professionals). Sorry, it's all the time in printing that causes me to have to give my input whenever anything like this comes up :) And as an aside, you can scan a screened item, and digitally separate the dots out into the original seps to get pretty close to the original film quality. You're right, not as good as with the films, but pretty close to that.