IGNORED

Project Unity

Longhorn Engineer

So you'll populate the board with even the original 2600 chips?

Cool project. Good luck with it . . . just get my 2600 mod kit to me before you get too involved. :D

No those chips come from "donor" Ataris :D I got word from Fedex that I get my parts tomorrow so I will be filling out loads of 2600 mods before I leave for a week.

Cool project. Good luck with it . . . just get my 2600 mod kit to me before you get too involved. :D

No those chips come from "donor" Ataris :D I got word from Fedex that I get my parts tomorrow so I will be filling out loads of 2600 mods before I leave for a week.

What I meant was will you be providing the chips or do I need to hang on to one of the many spare consoles I was planning to get rid of?

What I meant was will you be providing the chips or do I need to hang on to one of the many spare consoles I was planning to get rid of?

Hang on to one BigO

Ohh, that thing sets my heart all aflutter...

What really intrigues me is that Power Software box in the upper-right corner. Is that an expansion port or is it some kind of proprietary part? If it's the latter, will you be providing that part along with finished boards you sell?

-tet

Power S/W = Power Switch

sorry to give yah hopes up :D. Plan is to sell the boards just like the video mods. Bare PCBs, Unassembled, Assembled, and then the whole thing in a portable. Of course I will have it set up where to buy the batteries and screens and stuff. I don't know if I will offer the cases separately or not.

What really intrigues me is that Power Software box in the upper-right corner...

Power S/W = Power Switch...

Heh, I figured that's what that meant. It's just that the last time I checked (and, admittedly it's been a long time) the abbreviation for "Switch" was "SW," not "S/W." Beyond informing you of my love of your concept, the rest of my reply was a long way of bringing your typo to your attention. ;) :D Unless the accepted abbreviation really is "S/W," in which case, eh, never mind... :ponder:

Back to the topic, wow, just wow. You know, that could be made into a home console too. Maybe this is the updated VCS with modern(ish) video outputs people have been screaming for in other threads recently?

Wow, just wow.

-tet

What really intrigues me is that Power Software box in the upper-right corner...

Power S/W = Power Switch...

Heh, I figured that's what that meant. It's just that the last time I checked (and, admittedly it's been a long time) the abbreviation for "Switch" was "SW," not "S/W." Beyond informing you of my love of your concept, the rest of my reply was a long way of bringing your typo to your attention. ;) :D Unless the accepted abbreviation really is "S/W," in which case, eh, never mind... :ponder:

Back to the topic, wow, just wow. You know, that could be made into a home console too. Maybe this is the updated VCS with modern(ish) video outputs people have been screaming for in other threads recently?

Wow, just wow.

-tet

I don't know what the real abbreviation is for switch. I kinda just rolled with what was streaming out of my head so I could get the board routed. It could become a home console. Right now it doesn't have hook ups for the S-video portion of the video mod but would be easy to add. Even though the portable design won't have Joystick ports (they are to dam big!) I left the footprints on the board so if someone wants to make a custom case they can add them in.

• 3 weeks later...

Look what showed up in the mail today.

post-12783-126411045816_thumb.jpg

post-12783-126411046931_thumb.jpg

I hope I got the connections right. This is the first time I have designed something this large. Videos mods are easy to separate the Digital and Analog components (resistor ladder separates them well). I should have added more ground planes on this but its a prototype so its mainly for testing purposes. The only thing I am worried about is the power converter (switching type Ti PTN4050) might be a bit to close to the clock signal for the Atari but its buffered by a couple 100uF caps so it should be ok.

Very nice work - I like the way it works together with the Harmony cart. If you are doing another prototype, you could integrate the Harmony cart directly - either with or without the cart port? This would keep it to a nice portable form factor. I suspect batari would share the schematic with you for this purpose. It only requires 3 chips (ARM, EEPROM, and FTDI232) and a few passives, although the ARM is surface-mount, which would make it a bit more complex to assemble.

Chris