IGNORED

What have you actually PLAYED tracker for 2010 (Season 3)

cvga

INTV:

Bump 'n Jump 15min

2600:

Keystone Kapers 20min

Infiltrate 10min

5200:

Jungle Hunt 1hr

Millipede 15min

Xevious 10min

Popeye 20min

Ms Pacman 5min

Robotron 5min (tried a 1-controller game. didn't work out too well)

times for the past few days…

July 20, 2010:

NES

Bubble Bobble - 2 hours 30 minutes

Sega Genesis

Thunder Force II - 40 minutes

July 21, 2010:

NES

Bubble Bobble - 1 hour

Arkanoid - 30 minutes

City Connection - 15 minutes

spending alot of time playing Bubble Bobble for score… having alot of fun doing so :)

My playlist for yesterday:

Atari 7800

Centipede - 30 minutes

Beefdrop - 15 minutes

Wasp! - 15 minutes

Worm! - 10 minutes

Galaga - 15 minutes

Atari 2600

Boing! - 5 Minutes

Solaris - 25 minutes

Atari Jaguar

Raiden - 45 minutes

Breakout 2000 - 20 minutes

Aircars - 20 minutes

Here are my times for the past week (July 19th through 25th).

Again, there are no times to report for classic games since I didn't play any, but I briefly tried some modern games... or ports of old games for modern systems (which are all not eligible for the Top 10)...

Transformice (Online)... 8 minutes

Donkey Kong (Uzebox)... 5 minutes

Frogger (Uzebox)... 2 minutes

Space Invaders (Uzebox)... 4 minutes

Transformice is a multiplayer game, kind of a one-screen jump'n'run where each player has a mouse and has to fetch cheese and bring it back to the hole.

But it isn't easy in that the environment, in nearly each level, prevents you from doing this successfully. Only one out of, I think, 20 players is allowed to place additional objects which enable the players to accomplish their goal, but usually most of the other players have bitten the dust before this is done successfully.

Then I tried some ports of classic games to the Uzebox. The Uzebox is sort of a mini game console built with only two chips (one of them being an Atmel microcontroller) and some other minor parts like resistors. The microcontroller runs at 28 MHz and runs the game code as well as the code which generates the video output pretty much on the fly. It provides 64 K of flashable ROM and 4K of RAM and is able to put out a fixed pallette of 256 colors. From what it is able to do, I would put the Uzebox roughly below the Sega Master System, but above the 7800 and the NES. This, however, is a hobbyist system, not a professional one, and the video modes which are there are implemented in software.

As for the games I played, Donkey Kong is a pretty good conversion graphics-wise, although most objects like Donkey Kong and the barrels have been somewhat shrinked down in order to fit the Uzebox's lower resolution, only Mario has stayed the same size, so now he looks a bit out of place. Some of the enemies move a bit too fast (most notably, the barrels), and the collision detection sometimes seems to register when in the original version there would still some pixels of room. But you can't see where the collision was since all enemies disappear instantly on Mario's death.

Frogger is nicely converted too, but your frog moves a bit slowly. Also, it's been converted from the less colorful C-64 version, not from the arcade one.

Space Invaders... well, yes, it looks like Space Invaders, but there have been some mistakes made in the enemies' movements. They enemies don't get faster as you shoot more and more of them, so the last enemy of a round will still move in the same slow speed as the whole fleet at the start. On the other hand, the enemies always move left and right as if the whole fleet would still be there. So if you destroy the whole right half of the fleet, the remaining fleet will not run all the way to the right before reversing, but rather it will already reverse halfway through its run.

• Like 1

for July 25, 2010:

NES

Bubble Bobble - 30 minutes

Sega Master System

Aerial Assult - 25 minutes

Atari Lynx

Klax - 40 minutes

Turbo Grafx-16

Cadash - 2 hours 45 minutes

Klax - 30 minutes

I'm getting real close to 1 million points in Klax on the Lynx…

played through Cadash and conquered it with the priest…

Atari 8-bit

Blue Max 5 mins

Pac-Man 25 mins

Donkey Kong 20 mins

Intellivision

Donkey Kong 20 mins

Genesis

Ms. Pac-Man 30 mins

Zoop 35 mins

Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine 10 mins

Master System

Astro Warrior 20 mins

Out Run 25 mins

Alex Kidd in Miracle World 20 mins

Alex Kidd in Hi-Tech World 10 mins

Altered Beast 10 mins

Golden Axe 10 mins

Sonic Triple Trouble 10 mins

Arcade

Ms. Pac-Man 8 mins

Pac-Man 5 mins

Mappy 5 mins

NES

Defender II 10 mins

Super Mario Bros. 10 mins

Game Boy

Balloon Kid 1 hour

Boomer's Adventure 20 mins

Game Boy Color

Tony Hawk 2 45 mins

Neo Geo Pocket Color

Pac-Man 45 mins (and GameSpot gave this a 4.9/10?)

Sonic Pocket Adventure 35 mins

Metal Slug: 1st Mission 25 mins

Game Gear

Sonic the Hedgehog 20 mins

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 20 mins

Super Columns 15 mins

Tails' Skypatrol 30 mins (shame this was a Japan-only release)

Nintendo 64

Defender 8 mins

Robotron: 2084 5 mins

Joust 8 mins

Root Beer Tapper 10 mins

Spy Hunter 5 mins

Super Mario 64 3 hours 30 mins

Banjo-Tooie 3 hours

Lynx

Xybots 1 hour

Times for this week:

Atari 2600:

Armor Ambush - 7 min.

Bowling - 7 min.

Boxing - 8 min.

Combat - 12 min.

Ice Hockey - 3 min.

MAME:

Mad Planets - 3 min.

Phoenix - 4 min.

Sega Master System:

X-Men - Mojo World - 7 min.

Super NES:

Actraiser - 20 min.

Lord of the Rings Vol. 1 - 14 min.

MSX:

Alien 8 - 5 min.

I hadn't done much gaming at all in July, but finally got back in the saddle this week.

Edited by thegoldenband

Here are my times for the past week (July 26th through August 1st)... I know it's a bit late for that again, but I've been on vacation from Friday through Sunday and didn't have time to post earlier...

The classic game (eligible for the Top 10):

Steam Roller (Colecovision) 36 minutes

The non-classic games:

Cellcraft (Online) 432 minutes in 2 sessions

Burger Restaurant 4 (Online) 131 minutes in 2 sessions

Jersey Joyride (Online) 88 minutes

Rosie's Restaurants (Online) 75 minutes

Grosse Freiheit (Online) 4 minutes

Corrida Nebososa (Uzebox) 3 minutes

Steam Roller is a pretty unknown, but fun game from Activision where you have to control a steamroller and have to annihilate a number of smilies per level before going to the next one.

Cellcraft is kind of a defense game dealing in a cell, but a pretty complicated one... you have to take care of various ressources needed for defending different kinds of "enemies" which are adapted from their natural counterparts (viruses etc.). The first five levels are kind of a lengthy turorial with some action sequences thrown in, then from Level 6 on, it jumps to being pretty hard... it took me a long time to beat Level 6 while I beat levels 1 through 5 on the first try each.

Burger Restaurant 4 is the latest installment in the Burger Restaurant series out of which I already completed number 1 and 2. Number 4 is actually very easy if you mastered 1 and 2... you get many extras you didn't have in 1 and 2, and they power you up so much that you can complete nearly any level with a 80-100% surplus over the goal you have to achieve. It doesn't even get much harder on the last levels.

Rosie's Restaurants, on the other hand, does get harder and harder... I don't think it even has got an end. And, in that only your surplus counts for purchasing extras, you may end up at Game Over without having bought all the extras. On the other hand, there's much repetition in that game.

Jersey Joyride is actually an advertisement game for the new Barnyard movie, but it's still pretty good. Your aim is to drive around as an animal and pick up various other animal friends before returning to the barn. You only have 60 seconds time at the start, but you get 15 extra seconds each time you make it to jump a ramp and catch the hourglass hanging in the air at the end of it. I like this game in that it shows a pretty detailed scenery, and you are able to drive around more or less freely in the given area... not bad for a free game. Various objects (animals and barns) match their movie counterparts pretty closely as well.

Grosse Freiheit is a German adventure game going with the release of the group Unheilig's latest album. It's somewhat innovative in that you actually play on Google Maps, being presented with arial maps of parts of actual cities with some of the items flagged. If you click on a flagged item, you usually get a dialog with a person, and if it's the right person, you get one more hint and are able to advance in the game.

Finally, Corrida Nebososa is a simple top-down racing game on the Uzebox, similar to Super Sprint, but with much less detailed graphics.