IGNORED

What have you actually PLAYED tracker for 2010 (Season 3)

cvga

Times for the past week:

Genesis:

ESWAT - 12 min.

Landstalker - 1478 min. (not a typo!)

N64:

Mortal Kombat Mythologies: Sub-Zero - 55 min.

Got sick on Thursday, and decided that I wanted to play one of my Genesis RPGs while I rested, since I've got almost a dozen that I've barely touched. I ended up playing through the first 90% of Landstalker, an isometric action RPG, over the course of three days. I'm still sick and at home, so barring unforeseen events, I expect I'll probably finish it today.

24+ hours of gaming in three days!! I haven't done something like this in years, and it feels both totally great and totally claustrophobic/gross. I'm looking forward to playing something with a much lower commitment level.

Edited by thegoldenband

Here are my times for this past week (November 15th through 21st):

I haven't played any classic games, only PC and Facebook games, none of which are eligible for the Top 10:

Yoville (Facebook) 99 minutes in 3 sessions

The settlers (Facebook) 185 minutes in several sessions

Tellywood (Facebook) 13 minutes

Start-a-town (PC) 6 minutes

Yoville is... well, I don't know what I should call it... some kind of personal simulator where you can put things in your home, have several rooms etc., work on several things... actually it's not that easy to describe. It's another typical Facebook game, however...

The settlers are kind of a Facebook translation of the classic settlers game which started to appear in the 90's. In the facebook variation, certain things have been simplified... the streams of goods aren't simulated, and similar to farming games, you can buy several things, houses and decorations and distribute them among your land. Certain things take quite long in real time, for instance, producing certain goods or building houses. This results in several short sessions (often only 5 minutes) being played.

Tellywood is another Facebook game where you produce a TV show. You just buy a set for a show, then you produce episode by episode. Between producing episodes, you can buy more decorations for your set, which will increase the number of viewers and thus the amount of money you get back. All in all I found that one rather monotonous compared with other Facebook games.

Finally, Start-a-town is a standalone game which has been created with Game Maker. It's a beta version, so it contains several bugs. Your job in it is to create several houses, including definition of their blueprint, and possible other kinds of scenery on your plot.

Atari 2600: Real Sports Tennis, Pitfall

Super Nintendo: Atari Arcade Classics (Asteroids, Missile Command, Centipede), Williams Arcade Classics (Defender, Joust, Sinistar), NBA Jam, Super Punchout

GameCube: NBA Live 2004, Mario All-Stars Baseball

PC: Half-Life 2 Deathmatch, Left4Dead over Steam

• Like 1

Times for the past week:

NES:

Tennis - 3 min.

SMS:

Great Soccer - 3 min.

Genesis:

Air Buster - 12 min.

Air Diver - 3 min.

Altered Beast - 111 min.

Andre Agassi Tennis - 8 min.

Atomic Runner - 5 min.

Bubba 'n' Stix - 6 min.

Bubble and Squeak - 7 min.

Dynamite Duke - 3 min.

ESWAT - 105 min.

Fighting Masters - 3 min.

Hard Drivin' - 3 min.

Heavy Nova - 4 min.

Jennifer Capriati Tennis - 40 min.

Landstalker - 305 min.

Olympic Winter Games Lillehammer 94 - 3 min.

Outrun - 8 min.

Slaughter Sport - 3 min.

Sunset Riders - 115 min.

Sega CD:

Racing Aces - 40 min.

Ultraverse Prime - 205 min.

• Like 1

Here are my times for this past week (November 22nd through 28th)...

The classic game (maybe eligible for the Top 10):

Ghouls 'n Ghosts (Arcade): 62 minutes

The non-classic games (non-eligible for the Top 10):

The settlers (Facebook): over 420 minutes in at least 16 sessions

Crazy Taxi (Facebook): 3 minutes

Ski Challenge '11 (PC): 42 minutes

As you can see, I played a lot of "The settlers" this week... over an hour per day in average. I already told you about this game last week when I started playing it.

The facebook version of Crazy Taxi is nothing like the arcade game with the same name... you just drive on a straight road and jump over several cars which block your way.

Ski Challenge '11 is a 3D ski racing game which is now available for free download on the ORF site. Over the course of the next two months, you will be able to race on, I think, 6 different famous ski racing tracks. Each player races individually, but the completed race gets uploaded to the central server where other people can use it as a "ghost", and of course the times get compared. For each track, there's also a qualification period where you have to make the track in a given time, followed by some "racing" days where all who qualified are allowed to race the track again, and the best results of each player get tallied up over all the tracks featured in the game.

Finally, I've also played Ghouls 'n Ghosts, the successor of Ghosts & Goblins by Capcom. This one came out in 1989, so it's probably eligible for the Top 10, but not for the pre-NES charts since it definitely wasn't pre-NES. The gaming principle is pretty much the same although the graphics have improved with bigger objects, and you can now also go on slopes.

Times for the past week (a little late, but it doesn't seem to matter at this point):

Arcade:*

Marble Madness - 15 min.

MERCS - 20 min.

Mortal Kombat II - 30 min.

Primal Rage - 2 min.

Rampart - 10 min.

Robotron: 2084 - 20 min.

Super Sprint - 60 min.

NES:

Dr. Mario - 35 min.

Jeopardy! - 25 min.

Jeopardy! 25th Anniversary Edition - 25 min.

Sega CD:

Road Rash - 3 min.

Star Wars Chess - 25 min.

Dreamcast:

Ready 2 Rumble Boxing: Round 2 - 20 min.

*all arcade games played via Midway Arcade Treasures collections for XBox

Edited by thegoldenband

I think I forgot to update this last week so I will do 2 weeks worth :D

Sega Saturn

Black Dawn - 4 Hours

Winter Heat - 30 Minutes

Revolution X - 1 Hour

Virtual Hydlide - 1 Hour

Mech Warrior 2 - 10 Minutes

Battle Arena Toshinden - 20 Minutes

Streetfighter Alpha 2 - 20 Minutes

Worms - 5 Hours

NBA Live '97 - 20 Minutes

Defcon 5 - 15 Minutes

Atari Jaguar

Worms - 2 Hours

Pinball Fantasies - 2 Hours

Checkered Flag - 1 Hour

Atari 2600

Combat - 20 Minutes

Centipede - 10 Minutes

Here are my times for this past week (November 29th throgh December 5th)...

This week, I only played Facebook games/apps and online games, all of which aren't eligible for the Top 10:

The settlers (Facebook) 333 minutes in several sessions

Cafe World (Facebook) 25 minutes in 3 sessions

Millionaire city (Facebook) 6 minutes in 2 sessions

Funflow (Facebook) 14 minutes

Treasure isle (Facebook) 6 minutes in 3 sessions

Frontierville (Facebook) 60 minutes in 4 sessions

Farmville (Facebook) 30 minutes in 6 sessions

Restaurant City (Facebook) 1 minute

Mafia Wars (Facebook) 29 minutes

Soccer Tycoon (Facebook) 13 minutes

Kingdoms of Camelot (Facebook) 16 minutes

Flyde (Online) 2 minutes

Give hearts (Facebook) 2 minutes

Resort World (Facebook) 21 minutes

Scenic (Online) 2 minutes

Busy Bee Restaurant (Online) 6 minutes

Rare Breeds: Petunia (Online) 1 minutes

The restaurant (Online) 7 minutes

The settlers online (Online) 196 minutes in several sessions

Gangster City (Facebook) 3 minutes

The actual reason why I played so many different games is a change in the request policy of The Settlers on Facebook which has taken place on Monday, where you now have to accept all requests on the Facebook front page instead of in the game itself, but this change has been reversed yesterday. The trouble with this is, you still can get several things like iron, gold and bronze only through friends rather than buying them by yourself, and Facebook only displays 100 requests for all games in total, so I had to get rid of quite a bunch of requests by playing all those games before I got to the Settlers requests which are really important to me, and even this took quite a long time initially because invalid requests usually take you into the respective game itself which takes a considerable time to load each time this happens... and it happens a lot if you haven't taken care of your Facebook game requests for a long time. Additionally, not all requests clear immediately you click on them. By that I also played some new games I didn't try before, and thus didn't tell you about before:

Funflow seems to be a bunch of separate games together which share some common elements like extras you can buy and things you have to feed by playing different games like, for instance, another Puzzle Bobble clone.

Treasure isle is another Facebook game where you hunt for treasures on several islands. Not much there for me, though...

In Soccer Tycoon, you play the leader of a soccer team. I can't remember much more than that, other than you don't really see your players playing, only match reports come up.

In Kingdoms of Camelot, you build something on land. I know that's very vague, but I didn't dig into this game very deeply.

Flyde is a game similar to Trailblazer, but you get two trails (one at the bottom and one at the top) and special fields which let you change from the lower to the upper trail and vice-versa.

Give hearts is a very simple Facebook app... you just pick your heart of choice among several options and send it to a Facebook friend.

Resort world is a game similar to Sim City (the isometric versions), but here you have to take care of some buildings typical for holiday resorts / islands like hotels, restaurants and other attractions.

Scenic seems to be a racing game similar to Super Mario Kart in a Mode 7-like perspective with some zooming 2D trees thrown in.

I can't quite remember what Busy Bee Restaurant was like.

Rare Breeds: Petunia is a game where you put plants of different colors together in order to breed new types of plants.

The restaurant (Online game) is nothing like the MIT game of the same name. In the online version, you are actually bombarded with badly drawn Hamburgers etc. and have to deflect some objects while letting others pass through to the eater's badly drawn mouth. And when I say badly drawn, I mean it... the typical objects are drawn as a hand sketch in one color and then filled with another, solid color. Add to that a pretty low framerate...

Gangster City is a game similar to Mafia Wars, but they added some animations to illustrate the jobs you're doing.

Finally, The Settlers Online is a browser game outside of Facebook which comes much closer to the original Settlers franchise than the Facebook version does. In the online version, you don't rely on your friends that much, but rather get to set up pretty complex supply chains (for a game), while in the Facebook version, you get different workshops, but they usually only take coins and nothing else to build their things once they're built themselves, and the goods they produce can only be sold, not used as an input for other workshops. Another difference is that in the Online version, you level up by completing several quests you have to complete in sequence, while in the Facebook version you level up by making a pre-defined amount of XP per level. The quests are there, even several active ones at one time, but they don't bring you up a level, they only bring you XP, coins and sometimes other goods.

Here are my times for this past week (Dec. 6th through 12th)...

The classic games (eligible for the Top 10):

Parsec (TI-99) 5 minutes

SteamRoller (Colecovision) 39 minutes

The non-classic games (non-eligible for the Top 10):

The settlers (Facebook) 269 minutes in several sessions

Die Siedler (The settlers) online (online) 157 minutes in several sessions

Cafe World (Facebook) 16 minutes

Frontierville (Facebook) 6 minutes

Farmville (Facebook) 6 minutes

Lovely kitchen (PC) 396 minutes in 4 sessions

ORF Ski Challenge '11 (PC) 27 minutes

This week I replayed SteamRoller, but not for too long. I also briefly played Parsec on the emulated TI-99 via M.E.S.S. in order to try its improved speech capabilities with the current version.

As for the modern games, I tried to cut down the number of Facebook games I'm playing, though I still spent over 4 hours with the Facebook version of "The settlers", which comes from the fact that you're supposed to visit all your neighbors daily for maximum gold and XP gain, and also to send them a gift each day, which has to be done individually for each neighbor.

In "The settlers online", I reached Level 17 and just have built the "trader's guild", though trading seems to be rather confusing due to a super-fast running trading chat which you can barely read before the messages scroll off screen.

In ORF Ski Challenge '11, this weekend was the first race weekend.

The only actually new game was "Lovely Kitchen", which is a free Diner Dash clone with a bit of a twist in that you also see the kitchen and the cook preparing the meals. There is a "Simulation mode" where you as the waitress also have to run into the kitchen in order to prepare the meals yourself. In the "Casual mode", the cook does this for you, and you only have to fetch the finished meals from the pass.

All in all, I think this thread is dying since only three people have posted since my last post. I guess I'll keep posting here until the end of 2010, but if nothing changes by then, I'll stop posting my times at the start of 2011.