IGNORED

PAYPAL HAS DONE IT AGAIN!

ATARIPITBULL

Well I just received a nice little letter from Paypal today to inform anyone who sells items on Ebay that your payment money will be held for up to 21 days to make sure the buyer receives his item, so you have to pay for the shipping out of your own pocket first and wait up wards to 3 weeks before you get your money and like the letter I've sent them, I've had people buy stuff from me and never return feedback so how would paypal know if the buyer received there item and release your money, are they going to call each person who dose not give you feedback so they know they got there package?? This sure sounds to me like a way for Paypal to get some interest of off our money and you better hope you don't need your money quick to pay for your rent or food for your family. I could see them imposing this rule on sellers who have negative feedback on items that were not shipped or slow shipping but not on a good seller with no problems.

:x :x :x

Did you receive an email or a letter in the mail?

I know that this has been a PayPal policy for many sellers for maybe a year now. This isn't a new policy but I wonder if they have expanded this to additional sellers.

I believe that if you ship using PayPal shipping that PayPal will release your money when the item is delivered.

That's ridiculous, though. I use Paypal shipping for most things, but I have found that when I mail a larger item (a 2600 setup and games, etc.) it's easier to just mail it from the Post Office. It costs a little more for the delivery confirmation but it always gets there faster and I know it gets scanned. Paypal shipping should be an option, not mandatory through strong-arming and earning interest on my money, on top of the exorbitant fees they already charge.

• Like 1

I sold something under a different account recently and got the same email/surprise. Was not expecting it, but this was because I hadn't used this account alot recently to sell, so they held my funds. It was not 21 days, maybe 4-5 days before it was released. But I used paypal shipping, and once tracking confirmed delivery, they released funds.

Well I just received a nice little letter from Paypal today to inform anyone who sells items on Ebay that your payment money will be held for up to 21 days to make sure the buyer receives his item, so you have to pay for the shipping out of your own pocket first and wait up wards to 3 weeks before you get your money and like the letter I've sent them, I've had people buy stuff from me and never return feedback so how would paypal know if the buyer received there item and release your money, are they going to call each person who dose not give you feedback so they know they got there package?? This sure sounds to me like a way for Paypal to get some interest of off our money and you better hope you don't need your money quick to pay for your rent or food for your family. I could see them imposing this rule on sellers who have negative feedback on items that were not shipped or slow shipping but not on a good seller with no problems.

Was this across the board for all sales or just for items listed under the "Video Game" catagory ?

this was changed like a year ago but again only for items listed under "Video Games" I have not had

a problem as I just simply list under another catagory like Electronics or toys no one searches by catagory

anyway I simple search by system like Atari, XE 8-Bit or whatever I may be interested in at the time.

Anyway I have not seen an update to say all items are now subject to the hold but if so good bye Ebay/PayPal

I cant allow MY money to be held and released when they feel like it.

FND

Was this across the board for all sales or just for items listed under the "Video Game" catagory ?

this was changed like a year ago but again only for items listed under "Video Games" I have not had

a problem as I just simply list under another catagory like Electronics or toys no one searches by catagory

anyway I simple search by system like Atari, XE 8-Bit or whatever I may be interested in at the time.

Anyway I have not seen an update to say all items are now subject to the hold but if so good bye Ebay/PayPal

FND

Well If this has been around for a year, I've never seen this Email before and I have a 100% rating so its not because I've cheated any one out of thier money so why all of a sudden did I get this Email ?? I don't know ??

:? :? :x

FND

Well If this has been around for a year, I've never seen this Email before and I have a 100% rating so its not because I've cheated any one out of thier money so why all of a sudden did I get this Email ?? I don't know ??

:? :? :x

Looks like this was announced March 14th 2008 according to the Announcment Quoted below.

but still this is only for specific catagorys, including Video Games

===================== Ebay Announcment Copy and past ==========================

Posted March 14th, 2008 at 11:40 AMFiled in: General Announcements

Reminder: Safer Payments Requirements Go Into Effect on March 17th

John McDonald

Hi everyone, I’m John McDonald with the US Trust and Safety team. As Jim Ambach, VP of Seller Experience, outlined in his announcement in January, we’re making some changes that are intended to make the buying experience on eBay better and safer. As part of this initiative, expanded safer payment requirements are scheduled to go into effect on March 17.

Since January 2007, all new sellers have been required to offer PayPal or a merchant credit card as a payment option to their buyers. On March 17, this policy will be expanded to sellers or items when they meet one or more of the following conditions:

the seller has higher than 5% buyer dissatisfaction rates

the seller has less than 100 feedback

the items are listed in categories with higher rates of buyer complaints, including: Gift Certificates, Video Games, Cell Phones, Computers and Consumer Electronics,.

In addition, for a small number of transactions that have a higher risk of buyer dissatisfaction, we may delay the release of funds paid through PayPal. This hold will be placed on only a small percentage of transactions for up to 21 days. Then the funds will be released if there is no dispute. The funds may be released earlier if the buyer leaves positive feedback, or if PayPal can confirm delivery of the item. Sellers enrolled in the PayPal Money Market Fund will earn interest on any pending funds in their PayPal accounts.

Your payments will not be held if you meet the following requirements:

You have been an eBay member for 6 months or more, and

Your total Feedback score is 100 or greater, and

Your buyer dissatisfaction percentage is less than 5%.

Or

Your average DSR is 4.5 or greater and

Your have received 20 or more DSRs in the last 12 months.

I know that there have been questions among our Community about payment holds. Monroe Labouisse, my colleague at PayPal, explains holds in further detail on his post to the PayPal blog – I definitely encourage you to read it.

For more information about safer payment requirements in general, see the safer payments section of our FAQ.

Sincerely,

John McDonald

eBay Trust & Safety

That's ridiculous, though. I use Paypal shipping for most things, but I have found that when I mail a larger item (a 2600 setup and games, etc.) it's easier to just mail it from the Post Office. It costs a little more for the delivery confirmation but it always gets there faster and I know it gets scanned.

You can add the tracking information manually. Just go into the Paypal payment details, click "add tracking info" and enter the delivery confirmation number. This also makes it possible for the buyer to look it up on their end.

Edited by gdement

You can add the tracking information manually. Just go into the Paypal payment details, click "add tracking info" and enter the delivery confirmation number. This also makes it possible for the buyer to look it up on their end.

This is what I usually do as I don't want to use PayPal's shipping options. I use Endicia to print postage, which is much better.

..Al

Oh, OK then. I always enter the tracking info manually as well. The previous post made it seem like you HAD to use Paypal shipping.

This is what I usually do as I don't want to use PayPal's shipping options. I use Endicia to print postage, which is much better.

..Al

I remember getting this letter once upon a time too...but they only held my first transaction after receipt of the letter. I've only sold video games/electronics, but they never bothered to hold anything else (even bigger sales, like a Wii). The also once told me I couldn't get the Paypal debit card because I lived in Canada and two days later it arrived in the mail....I don't think they always know what they are doing....

Edited by 8bitguy1