IGNORED

"Excellent" condition is a relative term

wood_jl

I sometimes cruise through Ebay, looking for PS2 model 39001 as it's the last model with the link port.

I think I've seen more beat-ass PS2s than any other system. It's hard to get as specific as model number when buying a used console. If you search for the model number you get a few hits.

So how do sellers list stuff as "excellent" when it's a beat-ass piece of crap?

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 3503011294531?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=350301129453&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER] is a nice example. At least they took lots of pictures. Under that, "Excellent Condition" in large type. Reads like a Saturday Night Live skit with large "Excellent Condition" description. You can tell it's beat-up before you zoom. My favorite: zoom in on the fan.

edit: WHAT'S MORE, THERE'S ACTUALLY BIDDERS ON THIS, AND IT SAYS IT'S ONLY "TESTED TO TURN ON." WHAT ABOUT THE LIKELY "DISC READ ERROR? Are these people naive? Is a beat-up, possibly useless untested PS2 in demand?

I'd say only the PS2 can contend with the original Xbox, in dust-catching ability. Guess they couldn't do anything to keep that fan clean, but the "ledges" on this PS2 look so dirty you can plant potatoes on them. It's hard to find a single surface that isn't beat-up.

When I sell stuff online, I begin with nice stuff, and even then I'm completely paranoid some unreasonable jerk is going to neg me for a superficiality. So most stuff, I end up selling on Craigslist, etc. where they can see it and take it or leave it. Pretty much, if it ain't MINT condition, I'm afraid to sell it on Ebay. If the game disc isn't exactly like a mirror, I'm afraid of negative feedback and take it to the trade-in store where I get screwed on the deal, but the clerk doesn't care unless it's totally trashed.

With stuff like Gameboys or Game discs, I've never been able to get my camera to macro-in and pick up the tiniest scratches you'll see on a DVD or a Gameboy screen. The light reqired for such detail produces a glare that overwhelms it. Am I too paranoid?

Edited by wood_jl

Heck, forgot the conditon of the PS2 -- I love the part where the seller says the unit turns on and 'seems to work' and then goes on to say it's not been tested! :roll:

Hello! You clearly have the cords you need to power it up, and you have a game disk! Just get a cheap RF box from Radio Shack or somewhere, hook it up to a TV, and take a pic of it in action to prove that! :ponder:

Completely unrelated... but I also collect sports cards and "excellent" is a condition that is probably the lowest acceptable condition for most collectors. "Fair" and "good" cards are largely worthless. "Mint" is the term desired.

However, excellent in terms of that system is stretch.

Just the other day I got an iMac G5 power supply, that was in "excellent condition" and guaranteed working. I always check them because they have had capacitor issues. Every, and I mean EVERY capacitor on the low side was bulging or had already burst. No way this thing could power anything.