IGNORED

An Activision Console Plus Game Switch?

atari_envy

On top of the crazy price, it's untested!!!

"If whether this thing works or not makes a difference to you in hitting that BIN button, let me know and I'll fire 'er up and see what happens. Personally, I don't care if it works or not. I didn't get it to play it, I got it to look freaking awesome, which it does. If I want to play these games, I have plenty of easier options."

But it definitely is beautiful.

"If whether this thing works or not makes a difference to you in hitting that BIN button, let me know and I'll fire 'er up and see what happens. Personally, I don't care if it works or not. I didn't get it to play it, I got it to look freaking awesome, which it does. If I want to play these games, I have plenty of easier options."

Please, the guy has something he believes is worth 5.5K and he's never tried it? I read into this that its nothing but an attractive doorstop.

Edited by AtariLeaf

Please, the guy has something he believes is worth 5.5K and he's never tried it? I read into this that its nothing but an attractive doorstop.

Well, he does say you can ask him to fire it up and he will let you know. Plus, the seller is a longtime member here, so he'll probably answer other questions about it.

I was wondering how long it would take for that listing to get noticed here. Took longer than I thought. :)

As it says in the listing, "Please note I set the price at what it'd take for me to part with this, my treasure, not what it might cost you to find/buy a similar one."

So yeah, it's basically a show-off listing. :) I got the idea to do this from FND's avatar.

http://www.atariage.com/forums/user/1773-fnd/

While the issue of the item being tested has been covered, this is the part of the auction I find problematic:

"There will be no returns or refunds, not even partial refunds. By bidding you agree to assume all risk and responsibility for this item including shipping damage. I will pack it well. If you're worried about damage in shipping, buy shipping insurance when you check out."

particularly given eBay's new rules concerning "No optional buyer charges for insurance" - http://pages.ebay.com/sell/July2009Update/faq/index.html#1-10 - including these bits:

Why is eBay removing optional or required shipping insurance when I list or re-list my item?

By removing optional or required shipping insurance, we are adjusting to help meet buyer expectations for ecommerce and aligning with industry standard practices. In most circumstances, buyers do not expect to pay for the cost of shipping insurance. This change also reflects the industry—and eBay—standard practice that sellers are responsible for their items until they are safely in their customers' hands.

What is wrong with giving the buyer the option to purchase insurance?

Sellers are responsible for their items until they are safely in their customers' hands. Offering insurance to a buyer (optional or required) gives the impression that the buyer is responsible for the safe delivery of the item and can reduce buyer confidence in the marketplace.

What if a buyer specifically requests insurance?

You can remind your buyer that insurance is designed to protect the seller, not the buyer— if a buyer does not receive an item, it is the seller's responsibility. If a buyer continues to request shipping insurance, you can select a shipping service that includes insurance (for example, UPS covers insurance up to $100 automatically with many services), or add the cost of insurance into your shipping or handling costs and send the buyer a revised invoice.

Isn't the removal of insurance as a separate cost really just a ploy by eBay to garner higher Final Value Fees? Are you making me price my item higher so you can charge more fees?

We are removing insurance as an option for the buyer since insurance is designed to protect the seller, not the buyer. If a buyer does not receive an item, it is the seller's responsibility. You have the option to fold insurance costs into the shipping cost or handling costs.

Shouldn't the shipping companies be responsible for an item once it has shipped?

While it is the shipping company's responsibility to deliver the item to your buyer, the shipping company is accountable to the seller not to the buyer. It is your option how you manage your relationship, risk, or exposure with the carrier and you have choices as to which carrier you choose to safely deliver your goods to your buyers

This is news to me. Every single one of my ~500 auctions says that about the insurance. I guess I've got quite a bit of editing to do.

The point I really wanted to make with that bit was that I don't accept returns for any reason unless I made a mistake in the listing because I've had way too many buyers want me to eat the shipping both ways to return something for some ridiculous reason and I got really sick of it. I added the insurance bit to my disclaimer after a bad experience from a buyer who I felt was dishonest with me about shipping damage happening. I always pack everything well and it really peeves me when the buyer claims I didn't and the thing arrived damaged.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello guys, this "Activision" console is a Brazilian pirate made by Dismac manufacturer. It's quite rare, very nice console, I've seen no more than 5 or 6 of those, however, not worth even 10% of that price. I have one in my collection, you can view it here:

http://www.magicwebdesign.com.br/auctions/produto.php?63484a765a485630627a30784d444133

Marco has one too.

Cheers,

This is news to me. Every single one of my ~500 auctions says that about the insurance. I guess I've got quite a bit of editing to do.

The point I really wanted to make with that bit was that I don't accept returns for any reason unless I made a mistake in the listing because I've had way too many buyers want me to eat the shipping both ways to return something for some ridiculous reason and I got really sick of it. I added the insurance bit to my disclaimer after a bad experience from a buyer who I felt was dishonest with me about shipping damage happening. I always pack everything well and it really peeves me when the buyer claims I didn't and the thing arrived damaged.

It's typical defensive wording. Most of the complaints on these boards are from sellers, so most folks can probably understand this. eBay may just be making policies to protect itself anyway. I don't think that anyone thinks that a P2P sale is the same as Amazon, but eBay's focus groups of ignorant non-computer users probably tells them that they think that if someone sells someone something, they (the buyer) have every right to everything, including return shipping, full refund of an item that was dropped/misused/broken by them, and everything. eBay is having trouble with it's true distinction from the competition, as a person to person marketplace where transactions are between people. eBay seems to be quite willing to abandom it's base of individuals selling individual items. Of course, there just isn't as much money in it as there is in small or large corporations selling new things in quantities far great than us collectors and cheap used item hunters. That's what the shareholders want. And most eBayers want something better than this soulless corporation (eBay) to do business with that is waiting to die. Rant over.

DJPUBBA is the seller, a major collector that I've done a ton of business with. Totally 100% reliable.

When people do these big money auctions, it's often to get attention. It's rare for them to sell at the asking price, but maybe an interested party will want a deal at half the price? Or if they do sell, then JACKPOT! In any case, these types of items are high profile and get attention to a seller's store, which is always nice. When you have all this stuff sitting in your store for months, a marquee item will earn you a few more item views.

Edited by ianoid