IGNORED

I finally got another 5200

zylon

My 5200 2 port just arrived today. I just got done assembling 2 "new" controllers out of my enormous leftover parts box and ordered the few games I wanted. The only one I still had was Missile Command.

I used to fix and rebuild these systems and decks all the time for sale on ebay and others. 2 years ago, I'd sold my last systems and games because I was tired of fixing them (but not tired of $) and was simplifying my collection. I'd kept a M.command game just in case of returns. This year I decided to do one more system just for me.

I've ordered Space invaders, Galaxian, Dreadnaught Factor, River Raid, Qix, and Kaboom. I'll have to get another flexi and button set to make a custom controller for that since the original is terrible for that style game.

I never minded the control style of the originals. More or less my hands got tired of fixing them.

I've ordered Space invaders, Galaxian, Dreadnaught Factor, River Raid, Qix, and Kaboom. I'll have to get another flexi and button set to make a custom controller for that since the original is terrible for that style game.

I never minded the control style of the originals. More or less my hands got tired of fixing them.

you really ought to make a pc joystick adapter it opens a whole new world to the 5200

gamepads to flight sticks ive gone a bit nuts and have about 20 different controllers now that ive used on the 5200 so far for a while i was making them from scratch now i'm just gathering pc gameport controllers

I've played this version of Berserk before but not long. I'm hoping it doesn't freeze at 80-82,000 like the 2600 one does. :(

When I get another flexi and button set, I'm going to install a 2800 pot and knob inside one of my leftover controller hulls for Kaboom! I did it a long time ago. If I remember, it worked great and looked near factory built. Another good item to find would be an extension for the controller so I dont wreck the port.

Edited by zylon

You'll be lucky to pass 15k!

Gave up at 2k. It has a new job now as a coaster...

Why is that? It's a great version of Berzerk... :?

A long time ago I'd gotten rid of almost all 5200 games that I'd collected because I sat down and actually played them instead of collecting. Berzerk looks and sounds technologically amazing but playing it sucks. Unfortunately, I've found the same for 90% of the library. I've always had a knack for making these systems work which is ironic.

I would never recommend this game to anyone for more than novelty value.

• 1 month later...

I've just acquired another 5 games for my 5200.

River Raid-this one's pretty good but could have better control. Graphically, it's excellent.

Defender- I'm liking this one

Qix- good game, no issues

Pacman- Better than 2600 version. Needs help but not bad at all.

Dig Dug- Good game, but every other version I've tried is better, mostly due to sloppy controls.

I've just acquired another 5 games for my 5200.

River Raid-this one's pretty good but could have better control. Graphically, it's excellent.

Defender- I'm liking this one

Qix- good game, no issues

Pacman- Better than 2600 version. Needs help but not bad at all.

Dig Dug- Good game, but every other version I've tried is better, mostly due to sloppy controls.

Supposedly BBSB is the game to get for this system but I haven't been able to get one yet. I do like Hero, Ms.PacMan, Gyruss, Pac-man, Joust, River-raid, Star Wars Arcade Game, and few others on this system although controls are always not as good as A800.

I've also found that if I switch the pots inside the controller and turn the tv sideways, Dreadnaught Factor becomes awesome instead of good!

That is, if you liked the INTV version. ;)

Edited by zylon

Most 5200 games get a whole lot better when you have an adapter that lets you use an Atari 7800 or Sega Genesis controller. I bought one from AtariAge a while back, but sadly it doesn't look like they're in currently.

There are places around the web that provide details on how to build your own, here for example.

I've recently acquired an A600 and most of the games I remembered from the 5200, including 11 of the 12 I have on the 5200. Missile Command is the only one I noticed a difference in play. It's actually better on the 5200. Also, the 5200's video is brighter and clearer than A600. The 600's controls are better on some games like River Raid and Gorf, but not so on Centipede and Missile Command. Previously, I've partially blamed the 5200 controls for Berzerk sucking but I've tried it on the A600 and did worse. Couldn't even hit 2K

Most 5200 games get a whole lot better when you have an adapter that lets you use an Atari 7800 or Sega Genesis controller. I bought one from AtariAge a while back, but sadly it doesn't look like they're in currently.

There are places around the web that provide details on how to build your own, here for example.

I just so happen to have one of those. It looks like this :D

Atari_800XL.jpg

Atari_800XL.jpg

I too have a Atari 800 XL and i love it! Never will get a 5200 again now having one of these. :)

Atari_800XL.jpg

I too have a Atari 800 XL and i love it! Never will get a 5200 again now having one of these. :)

Given your name containing "pac-man", you should know that A5200 pac-man is superior to A800 Pac-man. A5200 Pac-man is harder with smarter monsters. And I'm sure there are other game differences. Of course, I like the A800 space invaders to the A5200 one with bunkers.

I've got something like that too and it was cheaper than a 5200 power cord! I keep both because of the subtle differences between the 2.

As for the "coaster" game, that's a lot more lenient than I was in the past. Typically, any games that sucked or multiples of games that I didn't play alot were summarily destroyed by a variety of M.O.D.'s.

Nowadays, they get thrown in a box and offered to friends. Whatever's left after about a year or so gets destroyed. Same with systems, anything beyond a chip swap or simple part like a regulator, port, or modulator gets the same.

post-25215-126953062437_thumb.jpg

I've got something like that too and it was cheaper than a 5200 power cord! I keep both because of the subtle differences between the 2.

As for the "coaster" game, that's a lot more lenient than I was in the past. Typically, any games that sucked or multiples of games that I didn't play alot were summarily destroyed by a variety of M.O.D.'s.

Nowadays, they get thrown in a box and offered to friends. Whatever's left after about a year or so gets destroyed. Same with systems, anything beyond a chip swap or simple part like a regulator, port, or modulator gets the same.

Definitely keep the custom chips from broken systems as they help fix many computers like 800XLs, 600XLs, 400/800, 5200s, and some others where most chips are socketed and no one is manufacturing these chips anymore. And storing custom chips doesn't take up much space. And emulators aren't yet that accurate to deal with the exact timing that these chips run.

Definitely keep the custom chips from broken systems as they help fix many computers like 800XLs, 600XLs, 400/800, 5200s, and some others where most chips are socketed and no one is manufacturing these chips anymore. And storing custom chips doesn't take up much space. And emulators aren't yet that accurate to deal with the exact timing that these chips run.

I save the chips about 75% of the time. If I know what failed on a system, then I save lots of things. If I have no idea what died, then I only save things like socket and switches, etc. The more complex the system, the less likely I'll be able to fix it.