IGNORED

EBAY fake DVDs

neotokeo2001

I am having second thoughts about buying from this seller. He already has a bad feedback for selling copies. Add in the fact that it is a new seller (Which I didn't notice when I did the Buy It Now). I tried to pay for the DVD's instantly but PayPal wouldn't let the seller accept payments at the time. I was hoping it would go away but the seller has opened a non-paying bidder on me.

I am at 238 with 100% but this one just doesn't seem right to me.

Is there a way I can cancel the completed bid or do I just take a hit from it?

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1504012633261?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=150401263326&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

I am having second thoughts about buying from this seller. He already has a bad feedback for selling copies. Add in the fact that it is a new seller (Which I didn't notice when I did the Buy It Now). I tried to pay for the DVD's instantly but PayPal wouldn't let the seller accept payments at the time. I was hoping it would go away but the seller has opened a non-paying bidder on me.

I am at 238 with 100% but this one just doesn't seem right to me.

Is there a way I can cancel the completed bid or do I just take a hit from it?

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1504012633261?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=150401263326&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

That is a tough spot. You could take a hit. I have never done it, but I *think* eBay has a 3 strikes for not paying then you get the boot.

Can you pay via PayPal yet? If not, you have a legit reason for not paying, and you can state in the dispute that you don't want to buy this item unless you have PayPal buyer protection (*cough* *cough*)

Otherwise, I would go ahead and pay. Only 1 of his 12 feedback scores state that it is fake. If it is fake, (especially a bad fake), you can file a claim with PayPal to get your money back. That is one of the options for filing a claim, item is fraudulent or a fake.

I believe Ebay only allows payments through paypal now. Has he asked for payment by check or money order or provided a different paypal addy? It may be that the original paypal address works now, but those are definitely bootlegs from the pictures he's posted. It's best if you are not sure to check other sources for images of the set to see the differences. You can usually tell if they post actual pictures. Those cardboard slim cases are almost always boots. This set should all be in hinged plastic cases. I would respond to the non-paying bidder notification with the info you have, state the dvds are fraudulent, and that when you attempted to pay through paypal, his account could not accept payments.

I believe Ebay only allows payments through paypal now. Has he asked for payment by check or money order or provided a different paypal addy? It may be that the original paypal address works now, but those are definitely bootlegs from the pictures he's posted. It's best if you are not sure to check other sources for images of the set to see the differences. You can usually tell if they post actual pictures. Those cardboard slim cases are almost always boots. This set should all be in hinged plastic cases. I would respond to the non-paying bidder notification with the info you have, state the dvds are fraudulent, and that when you attempted to pay through paypal, his account could not accept payments.

Bingo. :thumbsup:

I'd take the NPB hit, you can get these same DVDs from Amazon for only $59.99 and shipped free:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002GP7ZWI?ie=UTF8&tag=atariage&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B002GP7ZWI

I need to pick them up myself sometime. I would like to see a Blu-Ray release, but I don't think that's going to happen any time soon. And apparently only the last season was even shot in widescreen.

..Al

I started a thread recently about a fake ST:TNG DVD collection I received on eBay. Some quick searching revealed that bootleg DVDs on eBay are quite common. I believe another DVD set I bought from another seller on eBay around the same time as the TNG discs may also be bootleg, given the discs will only play in one player out of four different ones (also won't read in my computers) and even then they vibrate badly. The seller has offered to send me another set, so we'll see what happens. I sure as hell will never purchase DVDs from eBay again.

..Al

I have only bought one "maybe fake" Dvd off Ebay. It was the Jungle Book. I had no clue till i got it that it was either bootleg or foreign release. Tried to do research on it but got nowhere. This was many years ago though.

I've bought a bunch of the Disney DVD bootlegs from China knowing they are boots. The quality is spot on with some of the fakers in China and worth the 6 to 9 bucks per they charge. It's really the only way to get some of the "vaulted" movies without paying out the wazoo.

I have only bought one "maybe fake" Dvd off Ebay. It was the Jungle Book. I had no clue till i got it that it was either bootleg or foreign release. Tried to do research on it but got nowhere. This was many years ago though.

I've bought a bunch of the Disney DVD bootlegs from China knowing they are boots. The quality is spot on with some of the fakers in China and worth the 6 to 9 bucks per they charge. It's really the only way to get some of the "vaulted" movies without paying out the wazoo.

This one was a "Region All" and people were saying Disney never released any Region All's

This one was a "Region All" and people were saying Disney never released any Region All's

I just looked at the auction and it says "Region 1". Region All discs would definitely be a tip off that they are bootlegs.

..Al

Wow google is awesome, i just did a search of my user name and Jungle Book and found my post about it 7 years ago. Is there anything Google can't do? lol

http://forums.dvdfile.com/standard-definition-software/29552-jungle-book-question.html

I just looked at the auction and it says "Region 1". Region All discs would definitely be a tip off that they are bootlegs.

..Al

Wow you think the tool would have enough sense to use "Region 0" in the description.

O.K.

I contacted EBAY with the chat feature. After explaining the situation you can probably guess their reply.

EBAY will not confirm that the DVD's are bootlegs unless I pay for the DVD's and once I receive them I can confirm that they are indeed copies. Then I can file a claim with EBAY and PayPal. Even after showing that the pictures in the auction clearly show that they are not the legitimate release. Guess EBAY and PayPal want their cut first.

Auction picture:

post-3832-126403579718_thumb.jpg

Real DVD set:

post-3832-126403578948_thumb.jpg

So I sent the seller an e-mail to see if he will back out of the sale. We will see what happens. I took some of the reply from this thread. Thanks for posting the info.

================================================================================================================================

When I originally did the Buy It Now I tried to pay for the DVD's but PayPal wouldn't let you accept payments. I had every intention of purchasing this set and I am sure that my feedback shows that.

After looking at the pictures posted in the auction, These DVD's are definitely bootlegs (Copies). If you compare the real DVD's to these you can see that the cases are different. Those cardboard slim cases are almost always bootlegs. This set should all be in hinged plastic cases.

Most people seem to be happy buying illegal copies but I am not.

I see in the your feedback that someone else has also noticed that they are copies.

Who is your supplier and where are the DVD's being

shipped from? The following link shows what the real DVD's look like:

http://www.collectorsquest.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/farscape_dvd_set.jpg

Were you aware that they are bootlegs?

I'd take the NPB hit, you can get these same DVDs from Amazon for only $59.99 and shipped free:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002GP7ZWI?ie=UTF8&tag=atariage&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B002GP7ZWI

I need to pick them up myself sometime. I would like to see a Blu-Ray release, but I don't think that's going to happen any time soon. And apparently only the last season was even shot in widescreen.

..Al

Thanks Al. Ordered it with Amazon. :D

I guess I need to restrict my online DVD purchases to Amazon from now on. I have already gone exclusive with Amazon for preordering games with bonuses where possible since Game Stop likes to keep the goodies themselves. I have had that happen a few times.

I guess that Ebay doesn't care anymore about people selling copies of copyrighted material (including dvds/games or software) since it is ebay they makes out of every transaction

Isn't there some law in the US (or elsewhere) that makes it illegal to knowingly allow someone to use your service to illegally distribute copyrighted material and PROFIT from any tranaction

• 3 weeks later...

Received this notice from EBAY today:

We closed the unpaid item case for Farscape The Complete Series Collection DVD Boxset 1-4, because it expired. You don't need to do anything, and this won't be recorded on your account as an unpaid item.

I guess that proves without a doubt that they are bootlegs since the seller didn't pursue it any further. What's a shame is that he would probably have won with EBAY's screwed up policies.

I guess that Ebay doesn't care anymore about people selling copies of copyrighted material (including dvds/games or software) since it is ebay they makes out of every transaction

Yeah! As long as its not one of those nasty prototypes! Particularly the rare ones, those are the worst :roll: