IGNORED

(Insert stupid Blog name here) - Down on the farm

RSS Bot

Today is National Popcorn Day!

I'm ashamed to admit, I wasn't aware of this until a couple of hours ago.

There are few things I like better than good popcorn. All of that fake-butter-soaked microwave crud is not good popcorn. About the only microwave stuff I like is Jolly Time's Crispy 'n' White Light. It actually tastes like popcorn... not chemicals.

No sir... I like my popcorn soaked in real butter. (Well, not soaked... but certainly well-drizzled.) Hey - indulge in moderation, right? ;)

The best popcorn I've found (outside of movie theaters) are the Real Theater Popcorn packs, made by Wabash Farms. They use coconut oil, which is both really, really bad for you, but it tastes really, really good. This is what the movie theaters use.

The trick is, you have to have a real popcorn popper for the best results, or you have to deal with popping the popcorn in a pan of some sort, which is a pretty high-maintenance way to go. I have a West Bend Stir Crazy, which works just great with this stuff (hint: clean it upside down, so the interior doesn't get water in it). I'd also suggest using only about 2/3 of the oil that comes with Wabash's packs, otherwise it tends towards the greasy side. (One of these days I should just by the popcorn oil and seeds from them in bulk.) :roll:

Something else I've been meaning to try, is do-it-yourself microwave popcorn. (You can even apparently do this without oil.)

(I've never tried Wabash Farms' Whirly-Pop popper, but it's the same basic idea as the Stir Crazy except it's stove-top. The Stir Crazy is electric.)

And don't get me started on air-popped popcorn. You might as well be eating packing styrofoam.

Anyway, I think I'll have to figure out some way to celebrate National Popcorn Day. Maybe with a snack of some sort...

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?app=blog&blogid=118&showentry=6762