IGNORED

found awesome pole position controller

bohoki

not sure if my other post was deleted or i just forgot to hit post

DCP_7902.jpg

works pretty good springloaded to snap back to center autofire not too usefull for other games though

works decent for space invaders,kaboom,moonpatrol galaxian

its a pc controller i use with the pc-5200 adapter

Edited by bohoki

Looks sweet, although tbh, I never understood wanting to use a paddle controller with Pole Position. I have one of the custom made 5200 paddle controllers, and although it is perfect for Kaboom and Super Breakout, I find the stock controller much better for PP. Just seems like too much work when you have to move from one extreme to another rounding a curve.

I'd like to know about these adapters too.

its super easy to make the hard part is finding the 15 pin plugs

http://www.atarihq.com/5200/5200faq/06_04.html

looking at the diagram and instructions makes the task look kind of daunting but its fairly easy if you can solder

the secret to making it work is the capacitors (marked 224) i got buy with using some from broken electronics i used 2 104s in parallel with each other which adds up to .2ufd they are the really tiny component that looks kind of like blue or yellow candy i attach them to the plug that attaches to the stick

also you have to cut the metal off the plug to have it fit in the 5200 but cutting off the metal makes it fall apart unless you glue it together or just weld the plastic with the soldering iron also you need to use some needlenose pliers to stretch the male plug shield to allow for the locking bumps on the 5200 controller to fit

yea i wouldnt really like using a paddle to play pole position but the springloaded wheel makes it feel like a rc car contoller and it has less that 180 of throw just like my futabafutaba2pl2channelradiosystem.jpg

i just got a 2600 starpath supercharger so my 5200 life is gonna be on hold for a while

Edited by bohoki

• 1 month later...

I have said it before and will say it again, nothing beats a Wico on the "loose" setting for 5200 pole position. Well, until someone finds a way to get the Wii Wheel to work cause I am deadly with that thing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Resurrecting this thread because I picked up an UltraRacer controller today for PSX. Is this capable of working with the 5200?

post-23487-127855672444_thumb.jpg

i dont like saying anything is impossible but that is a high level of difficulty

being that playstation controllers are active serial devices and pc and 5200 are variable resistor values

That controller in the original post kicks ass. Takes a little getting used to, but outside of a real remote control car controller, it was my favorite. It never caught on and was discontinued. I picked it up at a computer show for like $5 or $10. We used to use it with Real R/C or whatever it's called from Tower Hobbies to race cars.

Resurrecting this thread because I picked up an UltraRacer controller today for PSX. Is this capable of working with the 5200?

post-23487-127855672444_thumb.jpg

i dont like saying anything is impossible but that is a high level of difficulty

being that playstation controllers are active serial devices and pc and 5200 are variable resistor values

I think that it is reasonably possible. You would just have to take the controller apart and bypass the serial converter, so that the buttons and variable resistors are connected directly to the controller plug.