IGNORED

616,300 - Night 6: New High score

RSS Bot

So, on my first day of just playing the game to see where my practice sessions have gotten me, on my first play of the day, I got 109,400. The fourth rivit stage is pure brutality. I figured it out pretty quick though. Get to the freaking hammers! If you don't start fragging the Fox Fires as soon as they spawn (a little modern gaming speak for ya), you are quickly toast. I can't believe how fun it is to jump over a Fox Fire just before he tops a ladder, grab the hammer in mid air, then quickly turn around to lay the the little frigger out.

This is another thing I find arcade games have over modern games. During the baby's first nap this morning, I played an hour and a half of the original Mass Effect. I love Mass Effect. I'm nearly done and have done every side mission available until now. I am very excited about the sequel, but with my family's budget, I can't get the sequel until next Christmas, but I will be buying it. I will also be downloading the downloadable content in the meantime. So yes, I really like Mass Effect a lot. However, in the entire hour and a half, I don't think I was actually excited once.

Oh, it was fun. Really fun. I even love upgrading weapons and turning excess inventory into omnigel. I think the game is flawless. But I don't think it is exciting. When I played Donkey Kong and started to approach my all time high score, my heartrate picked up, my muscles tensed, and I got into a zone. With Mass Effect, some Geth "surprised" me, so I shot them with my shotgun and they died. It was no big deal.

That isn't a knock against modern "story" games. It's just an observation. I like modern story games similar to how I like movies. I'm not excited watching movies, but they're still fun. Arcade games are different. They aren't as "interesting," but are much, much more exciting.

High score of the day: 109,400

High score for the year: 109, 400

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?app=blog&blogid=350&showentry=6816