IGNORED

Asterix Auction - Word of Warning

atari_envy

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1403813436871?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=140381343687&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

Those of you interested in an Asterix cart (like I am), unless you want a PAL version, skip this auction.

I noticed the scratch in the upper right corner of the label which I remembered from a previous auction. I decided not to bid unless the seller confirmed it is NTSC. He just confirmed it is PAL. Also keep in mind this is the same seller that lead Al to start the recent thread eBay Still Sucks Monkey Balls.

Poor saps that are bidding probably don't know this is PAL.

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1403813436871?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=140381343687&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

Those of you interested in an Asterix cart (like I am), unless you want a PAL version, skip this auction.

I noticed the scratch in the upper right corner of the label which I remembered from a previous auction. I decided not to bid unless the seller confirmed it is NTSC. He just confirmed it is PAL. Also keep in mind this is the same seller that lead Al to start the recent thread eBay Still Sucks Monkey Balls.

Did you see the Custers Revenge cart.? If so, can you tell me if it is PAL or NTSC or can you tell me what to look for? I have not bid on it yet, but I was thinking about trying to get it. Thanks.

Edited by ericwierson

Did you see the Custers Revenge cart.? If so, can you tell me if it is PAL or NTSC or can you tell me what to look for? I have not bid on it yet, but I was thinking about trying to get it. Thanks.

Don't know about that one, but very good chance it is NTSC unlike Asterix where the big majority are PAL.

Just submit a question, he is pretty good at responding.

I knew I recalled this seller name for a good reason!! This is the guy that tried to take me on a ride for the shipping costs of a bunch of 7800 commons a couple weeks ago. As you can see he got 17 neutrals out of the deal for trying to play games. I should have left 17 negatives but for some reason I was feeling kind that morning.

The PAL Mystique carts all have a very small "p" printed on the bottom right hand corner of the front label of the cart ;) And yes, they are do damn rare that you can say 99.9% of Custers you ever come across in the US will be NTSC

The PAL Mystique carts all have a very small "p" printed on the bottom right hand corner of the front label of the cart ;) And yes, they are do damn rare that you can say 99.9% of Custers you ever come across in the US will be NTSC

Thanks Dino. The auction is already up to $40+ I'm out. Too much for this loose cart.

Edited by ericwierson

I knew I recalled this seller name for a good reason!! This is the guy that tried to take me on a ride for the shipping costs of a bunch of 7800 commons a couple weeks ago. As you can see he got 17 neutrals out of the deal for trying to play games. I should have left 17 negatives but for some reason I was feeling kind that morning.

You were feeling kind...BS :D

• Like 1

Thanks Dino. The auction is already up to $40+ I'm out. Too much for this loose cart.

Holy crap! Get rid of that Avatar! I had two beers, now I feel sick

I noticed the scratch in the upper right corner of the label which I remembered from a previous auction. I decided not to bid unless the seller confirmed it is NTSC. He just confirmed it is PAL.

So there are PAL Asterix carts that are not marked "P" on the end label?

I noticed the scratch in the upper right corner of the label which I remembered from a previous auction. I decided not to bid unless the seller confirmed it is NTSC. He just confirmed it is PAL.

Yes, that is why you have to be careful with this cart.

YES!

Where did the seller confirm that this is a PAL cart? :?

I used the "Ask a Question" for the item. I asked if it was PAL or NTSC, stating "if you are not sure, plug it into an Atari 2600. If the picture rolls, it is PAL, otherwise it is NTSC."

His response:

"Dear burgesscd,

This one is PAL.

-cell1064"

It is noteworthy that unlike a couple of his other auctions where someone asked if a cart was PAL or NTSC, in this case where it was not NTSC he did *not* post the answer.

YES!

Hmmm, I wonder why.

YES!

Hmmm, I wonder why.

(Conjecture from what I have heard/read about cart).

This was a late release cart only slated for Europe. Since it was based on a popular European cartoon and essentially just a hack of Taz, there is no plan to release to the U.S. Therefore, there is no need to distinguish the release as PAL.

However, it is determined later that there are people in Canada who follow the cartoon and play Atari, so a limited release is done there, too. Hence the very rare NTSC release.

Ok I just asked him on eBay if it is PAL or NTSC... he just replied...

"Dear the-topdog,

This one is PAL

- cell1064"

Funny he didn't put the Q&A on his auction after I asked. Seems like he is intentionally leaving it vague in hopes he will get people bidding on an R10 which it is not.

Where did the seller confirm that this is a PAL cart? :?

I used the "Ask a Question" for the item. I asked if it was PAL or NTSC, stating "if you are not sure, plug it into an Atari 2600. If the picture rolls, it is PAL, otherwise it is NTSC."

His response:

"Dear burgesscd,

This one is PAL.

-cell1064"

It is noteworthy that unlike a couple of his other auctions where someone asked if a cart was PAL or NTSC, in this case where it was not NTSC he did *not* post the answer.

Well he lied to me when I asked.

Dear (ebay handle removed),

This game is NTSC.

- cell1064

Where did the seller confirm that this is a PAL cart? icon_confused.gif

His response:

"Dear burgesscd,

This one is PAL.

-cell1064"

Well he lied to me when I asked.

Dear (ebay handle removed),

This game is NTSC.

- cell1064

If he's misrepresenting his auctions I'm certainly glad I didn't bid on that bumper bash he had.

He ignores my questions about whether the Z-Tack I bought was PAL or NTSC so I didn't bid on his other Bomb game, figuring they're both probably PAL. I probably overpaid for the Z-Tack if it turns out to be PAL (I paid $83).

Is a PAL Z-Tack worth that much? I shouldn't have bid that high, but when I did I thought that perhaps a PAL version of Z-Tack didn't exist since Atari Age has no entry for a PAL version. But after asking in the same email that I asked whether the Z-Tack was PAL, I asked also asked about the identical BMX Airmaster carts in two different auctions (one of which I won). He answered my BMX Airmaster question and ignored my Z-Tack question. I asked again and he still ignored it. So I'm betting it's going to be PAL, especially with his proven bad record.

He ignores my questions about whether the Z-Tack I bought was PAL or NTSC so I didn't bid on his other Bomb game, figuring they're both probably PAL. I probably overpaid for the Z-Tack if it turns out to be PAL (I paid $83).

Is a PAL Z-Tack worth that much? I shouldn't have bid that high, but when I did I thought that perhaps a PAL version of Z-Tack didn't exist since Atari Age has no entry for a PAL version. But after asking in the same email that I asked whether the Z-Tack was PAL, I asked also asked about the identical BMX Airmaster carts in two different auctions (one of which I won). He answered my BMX Airmaster question and ignored my Z-Tack question. I asked again and he still ignored it. So I'm betting it's going to be PAL, especially with his proven bad record.

PAL Ztack = $5-$20

YES!

Hmmm, I wonder why.

I'm not sure, but I have definately had one pass through my hands years ago which i bought from PAL land HOPING it would turn out to be the NTSC version :twisted: but it wasn't :sad:

YES!

Hmmm, I wonder why.

I'm not sure, but I have definately had one pass through my hands years ago which i bought from PAL land HOPING it would turn out to be the NTSC version :twisted: but it wasn't :sad:

Just do what I did and buy Mexican.