IGNORED

wow epyx analog 500

bohoki

i today may have got just about the rarest of all epyx joysticks the analog one

i told you all about the nes epyx 500 conversion i did a while ago (stick on left) but its just l,r,u,d

DCP_7942.jpg

its pretty cool how they have it do the centering adjustment its just one button that slightly disconnects the pots from the stick and you move the stick in the oppposite directio that it is giving you trouble and then release the button and blammo it snaps back to center

ive never seen one of these in my life and i snapped it up quick

also the top lever disconnects the centering springs and makes it all floaty kind of like a 5200 joystick missing the boot

if you ever see one get it it works great on the 5200 mine is a bit old so its a tad jittery with missile command

I have never seen one for the 5200. I have one for the PC/Apple2 that looks like it.

thats what this is with the simple capacitor adapter it gives new life to old gameport sticks

How many types of Epyx 500 joysticks are there? I have seen some with one button, two buttons, and now this one. Is there some model number that distinguishes all these joysticks?

I suppose your capacitor adapter is required to change the resistances as PC/Apple2 used like 100kohm on each axes (at least that's what the gameport spec supports).

I have never seen one for the 5200. I have one for the PC/Apple2 that looks like it.

thats what this is with the simple capacitor adapter it gives new life to old gameport sticks

How many types of Epyx 500 joysticks are there? I have seen some with one button, two buttons, and now this one. Is there some model number that distinguishes all these joysticks?

I suppose your capacitor adapter is required to change the resistances as PC/Apple2 used like 100kohm on each axes (at least that's what the gameport spec supports).

yep the capacitors cause the system rc recharge rate to think its dealing with 500k the adapter is not secret or new

just goog "pc 5200 adapter"

i too would love a history of all epyx products they made some great games and i suppose invented the atari lynx ive seen joysticks identical to these marked "konix"

i have 3 epyx 500 joysticks a one button for a2600 a 2 buttons origionally for nes now for 5200 and the apple one currently converted for pc gameport with adapter for 5200

the apple circuit is kind of lame how it had buttons going through resistors and tied to the x and y i have to disconnect the superfluous junk and just turn it onto x, y ,pot common, b1, b2, ground.

Edited by bohoki

yep the capacitors cause the system rc recharge rate to think its dealing with 500k the adapter is not secret or new

i too would love a history of all epyx products they made some great games and i suppose invented the atari lynx ive seen joysticks identical to these marked "konix"

i have 3 epyx 500 joysticks a one button for a2600 a 2 buttons origionally for nes now for 5200 and the apple one currently converted for pc gameport with adapter for 5200

Looks like I will be picking up PC joysticks and put my 5200 to good use. I have been passing on $1 PC sticks because I had no use for them.

the apple circuit is kind of lame how it had buttons going through resistors and tied to the x and y i have to disconnect the superfluous junk and just turn it onto x, y ,pot common, b1, b2, ground.

I have the 2-button one for Amiga-- maybe same as NES. Model 500XJ.

It's different from the NES one. Amiga one is a digital joystick using trigger (pin 6) for button #1 and POTA (pin 9) for button #2. NES/SNES use serial data access unless you really tinker with them and modify the circuit.

It's different from the NES one. Amiga one is a digital joystick using trigger (pin 6) for button #1 and POTA (pin 9) for button #2. NES/SNES use serial data access unless you really tinker with them and modify the circuit.

so the amiga uses the same joystick as the sega master system?

would that also be the same for 7800?

yess i had to really gut the nes controller to make it work on the 5200

Edited by bohoki

so the amiga uses the same joystick as the sega master system?

would that also be the same for 7800?

yess i had to really gut the nes controller to make it work on the 5200

No, I thought the two-button you were talking about was the same one I had for Amiga, but it isn't. The Amiga one is all digital as I just tried it out. It uses the PotA line for 2nd button. NES controller is using clock/data lines for transmitting joystick/button status serially. The 7800 joystick would behave differently as the 2nd button is implemented differently. The 7800 uses trigger line for either button and potA for button #1 and potB for button #2.