IGNORED

dukes of hazzard proto

chromizone

If I not wrong, this is a Best Electronics "Prototype". Most think, that they are not real Prototypes. Best Electronics has buy them from Atari and sold them later.

So Atari has produced some games like Dukes of Hazzard, but never release it. Best Electronics has buy the copies and release them with this selfmade lable. Some have maybe no real lable. Only an old cartridge with other lable like Moon Patrol or Pole Position II and a little sticker on them like these 2:

Oscar's Trash Race

Donald Duck's Speedboat

So you find most only these Prototypes, but not real ones from Atari, they are much Rarer. :)

Yeah, Bagely's original stuff on Amazing was great! There was a period of about 5 years starting with Todd and ending with Mark where the Spider-man art was incredible!

I must say Chrom, though, I cannot stomach that clone costume. If you are that hard up for a cool Spidey avatar with Castillini, I can hook you up. Let me know.

• 2 years later...

Ok first off I know this thread is a bit "venerable" but I have a couple questions maybe someone can answer , first off what is Best Electronics? Were their Ateam and Dukes carts real or repros? How much are their games worth and how hard are they to get? Ok Sorry to bring an old thread back from the dead but I was curious bout these things :)

Are repos legal to make???? I mean prototypes because they were never released and Atari didn’t make any money on them....????

Technically, no. The rights holders can still choose to excersize their perogative to tell anyone making repros of protos to knock it off. Er, I mean, stop it.

Hence why we can't get a Saboteur repro anymore.

If I not wrong, this is a Best Electronics "Prototype". Most think, that they are not real Prototypes. Best Electronics has buy them from Atari and sold them later.

So Atari has produced some games like Dukes of Hazzard, but never release it. Best Electronics has buy the copies and release them with this selfmade lable. Some have maybe no real lable. Only an old cartridge with other lable like Moon Patrol or Pole Position II and a little sticker on them like these 2:

Oscar's Trash Race

Donald Duck's Speedboat

So you find most only these Prototypes, but not real ones from Atari, they are much Rarer.  :)

You're forgetting the real Quadrun chips they put in fake proto carts ;)

All the ROMS are real if you want to look at it that way. All the best quadruns and dukes I've ever seen taken apart are real masked roms ready to be thrown into a cart. I think atari ran out of money and scraped these two titles along with many others.

Best elec's simply bought them all, put the real chips manufactured by atari into cases like pole position and moon patrol that they broke open and stuck them in. They figured "hey, these pole positions aren't selling nearly as well as these dukes of hazzards and quadrun games" so they made a bunch of them and sold them for $45. (I think that was the price IIRC.)

They crossed the line with that fake lab loaner label though. THAT was outright lying to people and that is why best electronics is a piece of s**t in my eyes. Only after the almighty dollar.

I would consider EPROMS in carts you got from best electronics "suspect" but certainly not absolutely "made in house" for their own gain.

I'm also very curious about something. Has anyone besides CPUWIZ ever cracked open a game like grover or bugs bunny from best to see if they are EPROMS or masked roms like the quadruns???

I'm also very curious about something.  Has anyone besides CPUWIZ ever cracked open a game like grover or bugs bunny from best to see if they are EPROMS or masked roms like the quadruns???

For what it is worth, all the Bugs Bunny carts I have seen, were EPROM carts. :)

I've seen a ton of Dukes Of Hazzard, that's for sure.

Dukes were not $45. At least when I bought them they weren't. I either paid $20 or $25, probably $25, and remember buying like 5 of them. Some came in old carts with the Atari sticker on the old cart label. Others came with that black and white label that most people see. Last one that I had sold about 4 years ago for $130.

Phil