IGNORED

How many 7800 games were shipped with 2600 cases?

King_Salamon

Hi everyone, I'm still new to the 7800 and in all my games I've noticed that the carts chip is exposed (like 2600 Activision carts) but recently I got a copy of Joust in the mail and it had the plastic sliding piece that most 2600 carts had back in late 70's and early 80's. I was just wondering how many 7800 games were like this?

The extra protection it provides is nice but I guess Atari wanted to save money and that was an easy way to cut a cost.

• Like 1

Interesting.. I suppose it was a transition period for Atari when they started changing cart shells. Perhaps I will come acroos more of these releases as I build my library.

By the way Mitch, your site is awesome! I like the list of 7800 games you have where you note whether the game is 1 or 2 button games... comes in handy at the moment, until I get some 2 button controllers.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone, I'm still new to the 7800 and in all my games I've noticed that the carts chip is exposed (like 2600 Activision carts) but recently I got a copy of Joust in the mail and it had the plastic sliding piece that most 2600 carts had back in late 70's and early 80's. I was just wondering how many 7800 games were like this?

The extra protection it provides is nice but I guess Atari wanted to save money and that was an easy way to cut a cost.

I would've preferred had they kept the doors on the carts. Shame they didn't add doors to the actual cartridge slot on the consoles. That goes for Atari Inc. as well [not just the later Tramiel Atari Corp.]. I mean, they did for the XL computer line [and I suppose the actual hinged door on the 400/800 also counts].

Funny there were so few revisions on the 7800 carts themselves versus how many revisions they shortly went through for the Lynx. Wasn't it 4?

• 1 year later...