IGNORED

616,300 - Night 14: The 2600

RSS Bot

My heart really wasn't in it tonight. After two weeks, I'm getting a little tired of it. However, that record isn't going to break itself, so I need to do something to keep interest up. What I usually do when facing this problem is start to work on other versions of the game. It's good practice and sometimes helps you find some part of strategy you missed in one version.

So tonight I played the 2600 version. I forgot how rough that one was. I can certainly see how impressed previous 2600 owners would have been upgrading to the 7800 version. I mean even weak 2600 type music is better than absolute silence.

I never have bought the idea that 2600 Coleco games were intentionally crippled though. Coleco was competing for market share with Atari and Mattel. Both made great 2600 games and were hoping 2600 owners would "upgrade" to their systems (5200 and Inty). It would hardly help Coleco sell their system by making 2600 owners think they made garbage games. Activision made good 2600 games, Mattel did, Atari did, Parker Bros did, etc. Looking like a bad company wouldn't help move your new system or your 2600 and Inty games, which remember also made money by selling. By intentionally crippling their 2600 games, they'd make sure fewer people bought their 2600 games, and that videogame players had no faith in them as a company.

Anyway, I'll probably be playing some other versions for awhile (as well as the 7800 version) to try to keep my Gaming ADD at bay.

Best score tonight: 66,200

Best score ever: 161,500

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?app=blog&blogid=350&showentry=6847