IGNORED

7800 A/V Video Mod - results?

tremoloman2006

Ok - now I'm very aggravated.

I finally got the mod kit back on Monday after 2 months (half of that with no responses), and it does the same thing. I tried it on two TVs, and finally replaced his mod back with the 8-bit domain mod, and the 7800 works fine.

I send him another PM asking for a refund and he hasn't answered. When I look at the "participants" in the PM, it shows that he "has left the conversation". :x :x :x

DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH LONGHORN ENGINEER! If your mod works, you are lucky, but if something doesn't work, you are out of luck and he already has your money.

I know I'm not the only person this happened to.

I didn't have this trouble with 8bitdomain, and I've bought a few things from them.

Bob

Bob that mod I sent you worked 100% on all my TVs have you tried a different S-video cable as some are really shoddy in quality and can pick up interference. I recently just cleared my PM box so I guess I "left" the conversation then? :ponder:

Bob that mod I sent you worked 100% on all my TVs have you tried a different S-video cable as some are really shoddy in quality and can pick up interference. I recently just cleared my PM box so I guess I "left" the conversation then? :ponder:

OK - I have no reason not to believe you. Thank you for replying.

As far as the issue, maybe pictures will help:

This is what happens when a 7800 game is in the unit with the mod:

post-1787-127131811454_thumb.jpg

post-1787-127131826118_thumb.jpg

This is what happens when a 2600 game (Debro's Pac-Man 4k in this case) is in the 7800:

post-1787-127131818405_thumb.jpg

post-1787-127131827473_thumb.jpg

Here are pictures of the mod installed:

post-1787-127131821819_thumb.jpg

post-1787-127131822807_thumb.jpg

post-1787-127131823798_thumb.jpg

post-1787-127131824727_thumb.jpg

Please note that the Red and Brown wires are connected at a different point but still along the same trace. I had them soldered to the exact location you specified on another 7800 I had tested with this issue.

Also, the 'Cuttle Cart II' seems to have issue with this mod. It reports that there is no MMC card installed when I put it in with this mod installed. It doesn't do that with the 8bitdomain mod.

It's almost like there is voltage going through a trace that it's not supposed to.

Thanks,

Bob

Looks like a power issue. I have seen the 2600 and what happens with this mod installed when powered by smaller third party powersupplies. Your install looks good. If you have a multimeter you can test the +5V line and see if its dipped at all. That will tell a bunch about whats going on.

• 1 month later...

Longhorn Engineer was nice enough to take my 7800 and work on it to see if he could help with the color bleed.

I got my system back yesterday.

In 2600 mode: The colors look nice with little to no color bleed.

In 7800 mode: The colors are washed out in comparison to the 2600 mode and there is still noticeable color bleed.

LE managed to get the color bleed down so it isn't so noticeable and it is definitely better than it was before I shipped it to him. I wish it could be fixed without color bleed as I expected it to be but oh well... it is what it is.

I'm OK with it now but wish it came out as nice as the 2600 mod had.

Thanks for working on my 7800 LE. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I got my mod just in time because someone broke my RF. Probably my son or the cat. I didn't realize how small U5(TS5A3159ADCKR) was. I thought I was missing a part. When I figured out it was a tiny IC I thought I was done for. My hands aren't steady and I've never done surface mount before, so this was a first. U5 gave me a fit, until I changed my soldering tip to my mini-wave tip. After getting U5 settled, the other surface mount chips were a breeze. I used brad point drill bits to put the holes in my 7800 and it came out looking clean. I hooked it all up and everything worked fine. The only thing that I should have done was put the shielding back in after I was done. The cartridge port is kind of loose now.

Thanks LE for this mod.

I got my mod just in time because someone broke my RF. Probably my son or the cat. I didn't realize how small U5(TS5A3159ADCKR) was. I thought I was missing a part. When I figured out it was a tiny IC I thought I was done for. My hands aren't steady and I've never done surface mount before, so this was a first. U5 gave me a fit, until I changed my soldering tip to my mini-wave tip. After getting U5 settled, the other surface mount chips were a breeze. I used brad point drill bits to put the holes in my 7800 and it came out looking clean. I hooked it all up and everything worked fine. The only thing that I should have done was put the shielding back in after I was done. The cartridge port is kind of loose now.

Thanks LE for this mod.

Great! U5 is a pain but its the largest size chip that can perform the chroma switching without messing up the signal at all. There are smaller :D

• 2 weeks later...

I have tried different TVs, different S-Video cables, installing the kit in two different 7800, and three different power supplies (they are the stock ones). Unfortunately nothing changes. :(

I'll check the +5v line

I had problems with the powersupply when I modified my 7800 but then there was no picture at all. One way to be sure you got +5 V is to solder the powercord to the output on the regulator behind the connector where you put the games. I did so and my AV mod works great since that

Edit; With the powercord I mean the cable you connect to the amplifierboard for the AV mod

Edited by WERY