IGNORED

7800 Joypad Extension Cables

GregadetH

I scored a sweet deal from an awesome AA member for a 7800 with lots of goodies. It's been fun playing all these games, especially with the Joypad controllers, but I'm sick to death of sitting right on top of the console when I play. My Genesis controllers only work on so many games so I've been looking around the internets for 7800 compatible extension cables. I've found a lot that claim to work, but I've read that most actually don't. Is there a super secret website that sells these specific cables?

Edited by GregadetH

You can use extension cables that are compatible with Sega Genesis or Atari 2600 controllers; I use Sega cables with my 7800 all the time. As long as it has all nine pins wired straight through (and I've never seen a DB9 joystick extension cable that didn't), you should be fine.

I have a pair of Sega controller extension cables (2 x 6ft each I believe) and as soon as I get my NES Pads modded for the 7800 in the mail I will test them out and see if they work. I got mine from an AA member quite a few years ago... they worked on my Colecovision and so far on my 7800 with my 2600 joysticks (I don't have 7800 prolines so I'm waiting for the NES pads modded for the 7800).

I saw a website with the extension cables listed too.... www.collectorscardsandgames.com they have them in the 7800 section and they're only $3 each!

You can use extension cables that are compatible with Sega Genesis or Atari 2600 controllers; I use Sega cables with my 7800 all the time. As long as it has all nine pins wired straight through (and I've never seen a DB9 joystick extension cable that didn't), you should be fine.

Ok then. It's just that I was reading that nowadays it's a crapshoot because the bulk of cables out there don't have the pins wired straight through. Something about Sega changing the way they made their cables near the end of the Genesis' life span. I'll see if my local PNT has any in stock. They usually give 'em away. That's how I got my NES cables.

I have a pair of Sega controller extension cables (2 x 6ft each I believe) and as soon as I get my NES Pads modded for the 7800 in the mail I will test them out and see if they work. I got mine from an AA member quite a few years ago... they worked on my Colecovision and so far on my 7800 with my 2600 joysticks (I don't have 7800 prolines so I'm waiting for the NES pads modded for the 7800).

I saw a website with the extension cables listed too.... www.collectorscardsandgames.com they have them in the 7800 section and they're only $3 each!

So it's pretty much unanimous that Sega cables work everytime. Cool. And wow at the abundance of yellow on that page. Silly question time...is that a reputable seller? I'm a little bit leary because of the "old school-ness" of the website. :lol:

So it's pretty much unanimous that Sega cables work everytime. Cool. And wow at the abundance of yellow on that page. Silly question time...is that a reputable seller? I'm a little bit leary because of the "old school-ness" of the website. icon_lol.gif

I bought 5 7800 carts from the site a couple weeks back and everything was fine... I'd prefer getting pictures of the items listed so I can judge whether I want the item or not but the carts were in decent shape (not minty but not bad either). I suppose if you were to buy new games in the shrinkwrap, the carts would be in mint condition though... lol

So it's pretty much unanimous that Sega cables work everytime. Cool. And wow at the abundance of yellow on that page. Silly question time...is that a reputable seller? I'm a little bit leary because of the "old school-ness" of the website. icon_lol.gif

I bought 5 7800 carts from the site a couple weeks back and everything was fine... I'd prefer getting pictures of the items listed so I can judge whether I want the item or not but the carts were in decent shape (not minty but not bad either). I suppose if you were to buy new games in the shrinkwrap, the carts would be in mint condition though... lol

Haha! You'd hope so, right? Thanks for the input! I'll check the site out more tomorrow. It's time to take a trip to sleepytown. G'nite!

• 3 years later...

My local PNT didn't have any. The gave me another NES cable though. And a boxed copy of X-Men for the Genesis. That goes to my kid for his b-day.

PNT?

I'm amazed Genesis extension cables would work. After all, the controllers themselves have to be rewired to use the 7800's 2nd fire button.

PNT?

I'm amazed Genesis extension cables would work. After all, the controllers themselves have to be rewired to use the 7800's 2nd fire button.

A straight through DB9 cable is a straight through DB9 cable. It has nothing to do with "Genesis" pads or any other pads. It's just an extension cord for all 9 pins of a DB9 cable. They just happened to be sold when the Genesis was most popular at the time. The wiring that would make a Genesis pad not work right wiht the 7800 is in the pad itself, not the cable.

• Like 1