IGNORED

Atari 5200, why do you like it?

Dastari Creel

I basically asked the same thing on the 8-bit computer board so I guess for completeness I should ask here. I grew up with a 2600 and now I own a 7800 that I got with 24 games for $40. The 7800 lets me have the 2600 nostalgia along with some new games I never played before.

I know nothing of the 5200. I was aware of it when I was little but never knew anyone who owned one. Since then I've heard that it was a flop but the only reason I've read for that is that the joystick sucked. Is that the only reason? Why do 5200 fans love it so and what are the best games?

Basically I'm trying to determine if its worth me getting one.

The controllers (faulty buttons more than the analog sticks), bulky size, cost, and lack of 2600 (or 400/800) compatibility are only some contributors to the 5200's problems. However, in spite of all that, it still probably could have been OK is it hadn't been for the underlying problems: Atari Inc. and Warner management, then the crash. (a consequence of Atari's management problems leading to instability in the entire industry, with CBM's price war pushing it all over the edge)

Following that, Warner dumped Atari Inc's consumer division (and the corresponding debt) to TTL (Jack Tramiel's company), that becoming Atari Corp, and to make a long story short: the 5200 was among the things to be discontinued. The 7800 was delayed due to legal issues between Atari Corp. and Warner over GCC's contract, but ended up being cleared up in time to launch it in 1986. --Prior tho that they'd continued selling remaining Atari stock of 2600s, carts, computers, 5200s, and releasing their ST computer in 1985; also releasing the XE series of the 8-bit computers in '85 and 2600 Jr in '86.

For what it's worth, all my friends who've tried mine love it and would like to get a 5200. They just don't want to spend the $ for a good one. I like the 5200 probably for the same reason I like the Edsel. It's really different and kind of cool once you get into it. :)

It's worth it just for the Trak-Ball and the dual-controller games that make good use of the analog sticks. And Qix due to having two buttons right on the controller. Much of the rest can be experienced on a regular A8 more-or-less the same, but if you have the extra $ and space, just those few reasons make the 5200 worth having. Plus, it just looks so cool. Such a great retro-futuristic look in a game room. The buttons are definitely an issue, but just get the Best Gold sticks and you'll likely never have an issue with them again.

I own a 5200 for the controllers.

No, really!

I have an extensive collection of Atari 8-bit games. So all the games that use digital movement and only one button, I play on an Atari computer.

I own the 5200 so I can play games that use analog control and/or use two buttons. And also the dual-controller games (it works much better on the 5200 than on the A8, IMO) and the Trak-Ball games.

That's it. That's why I own a 5200: the controllers.

I don't like it. Gigantic waste of solder and plastic.

Electrictroy is that you?

The controllers (faulty buttons more than the analog sticks), bulky size, cost, and lack of 2600 (or 400/800) compatibility are only some contributors to the 5200's problems.

Electrictroy is that you? :roll:

Wow. So someone starts a thread to say good things about the 5200, and we get some hater-ade.

I liked it because up until the point it was relseased, it was simply the best console available in terms of graphics, gameplay, and having an "at home" arcade experience.

Contrary to popular (lack of gaming skills) belief, the controllers were not all that bad. In fact, they were way ahead of their time in design and usability. Unfortunately, the fire buttons were prone to wearing out and required a repair/replacement often.

The 5200 was fully compatible with the 2600 via an adapter as was the 5200's competitor the Colecovision (unlike the 400/800 series...funny how the haters forget that). However the last thing gamers bought a 5200 for (or a CV for that matter) was to play 2600 games. :roll: What they bought the 5200 for was the arcade games, and seeing how much better they were than what was available.

It's definitely worth having, though if you have a400/ 800, really you have about 99% of the games available already. Really though, the trak-ball, and the dual stick controller for games like Centipede and Robotron, (respectively) make the system worthwhile.

Oh, I see, I'm not allowed to not like it. I need to be called names because I have a different opinion. Nice. Clearly because I disagree with your opinion about a video game system that must have all sorts of logical implications about the person I am, my skill at video games, and my entire personality in general. Oh, but of course, I'm the one who's stretching logic and limits by saying that I personally do not like the 5200.

...oh wait, this is the INTERNET. Of course that's the standard. :D

post-24585-127100014826_thumb.jpg

I just don't like the 5200. I have a 130XE and an 800XL and they do everything that the 5200 does and better, minus the few exclusives for the system that I don't really care for anyway. I don't like the controllers; they feel unintuitive to me for most games. I think it's big, bulky, and ugly. It is not aesthetically pleasing to me, it takes up too much space, the controls are counter-intuitive to me, and what I do enjoy for the system I can have on an Atari computer with a larger lot of fun games on disk as well.

Sorry, but I don't like the 5200. Feel free to name-call all you want, it's not like I'm saying that everyone who likes the 5200 is an idiot or anything. If you like it, great, more power to you, but I personally do not like it. I personally think it is a gigantic waste of solder and plastic. But of course I'm the bad guy and am a "hater" for having those opinions. Riiiight. Must mean I'm bad at video games! OH NO! Also must mean I'm just a jerk in general. EGADS!

The last part of the OP is "Basically I'm trying to determine if its worth me getting one." I fail to understand how that equals "BE NICE AND ONLY SAY NICE THINGS ABOUT THE 5200. IF YOU SAY YOU DON'T LIKE IT YOU ARE A JERKFACE LOSER AND NEED TO BE RESOUNDINGLY INSULTED!" I don't feel it's worth the OP getting one. Sorry if that's not coherent with your magical world with unicorns and fairies where everyone thinks the 5200 is great.

• Like 2

Yeah, it's kind of the inverse of what I said before that if you have no desire to play Centipede and Missile Command with the excellent Trak-Ball, Robotron and Space Dungeon with the dual analog joysticks, Qix with two buttons on the controller (the way it should be), or Adventure II, then there's not much reason to have the 5200. Aside from that, some people (like myself) like the 5200's analog controllers for some of the other games, and some people do not. Really, that's about all there is to it. If those games are not important to you, do as CC said there, and just get an A8.

If I could only have one or the other (A8 or 5200), I'd take the A8 hands-down, no hesitation. Fortunately in 2010, most of us can easily have both if we want them :)

Yeah, it's kind of the inverse of what I said before that if you have no desire to play Centipede and Missile Command with the excellent Trak-Ball, Robotron and Space Dungeon with the dual analog joysticks, Qix with two buttons on the controller (the way it should be), or Adventure II, then there's not much reason to have the 5200. Aside from that, some people (like myself) like the 5200's analog controllers for some of the other games, and some people do not. Really, that's about all there is to it. If those games are not important to you, do as CC said there, and just get an A8.

If I could only have one or the other (A8 or 5200), I'd take the A8 hands-down, no hesitation. Fortunately in 2010, most of us can easily have both if we want them :)

What he said is exactly my opinion on the 5200. It has some cool strengths. There are some exclusive games that are really quite fun if you're into them. It's cool to look at if you're into that sort of thing. You can like the controllers if you're of that mindset. It's part of the "Atari Console Collection" so if you want a complete collection it's a must-have.

If you like it, great, more power to you. I don't, for the reasons stated. I think one would be well-pressed to get both a 5200 and an A8, because the A8 plays on the strengths of the 5200 but adds several more strengths that are better. The A8 also does not have the pitfalls the 5200 has (whether you want to make wild assumptions about a person's skill at video games and personality in general or not) and it can play disk-based games, so your library ends up a lot bigger and there's a lot more options.

The 5200 is cool to have if for no other reason than to just try something "different". The 5200 is so vastly different from the 2600 and 7800 that it's a unique experience in and of itself. The controllers are different, the graphics are different, the games are different, the console itself is different. It's just...different! Even if you decide you don't like it in the long run, like I did, it's good to get one just to try it out and experience it. You may end up liking it quite a bit, and if you don't try it out, the only person losing out is you. Opinions vary on it a lot, as you can see. But I do see that the people who do like it like it quite a bit.

Did that make my criticism sufficiently soft around the edges and fluffy?

To add to my and CC's opinion further... if money or space is any issue at all, even though I love the 5200 myself, you would get more bang for the buck by getting an 800XL (or 130XE) and a SIO2PC USB Edition from atarimax.com. You'll spend less overall, and then you can play all the disk based games... well, pretty much everything for the A8's. Way more games and you'll likely spend less money. If you find the right deal, you may even be able to get that entire setup for less than just the cost of the Best Gold controllers for the 5200. The 5200 is an expensive system when you add up all you need to get the most from it. Unless you're really into it (like I am), I have to be honest and say that it's one of the more expensive systems to own (hardware-wise) if you consider how few games there are for it (especially games unique in some way from the A8... I think you could count them on your hands). As a 5200-enthusiast, I still try to be realistic when considering other people's needs when recommending it. If you already have an A8 setup, then what I said before stands.

The 5200 is really big, too, so that means it's going to cost a ton of postage for you to get it, and it has to be packed really carefully or else the USPS will break it! Not to say you shouldn't get one because of that, it doesn't make the 5200 bad, but just remember that if you get one online shipping is a pain in the butt.

The 5200 is really big, too, so that means it's going to cost a ton of postage for you to get it, and it has to be packed really carefully or else the USPS will break it!

At least $50 postage. :P :D

Yeah! Exactly. What a giant RIP-OFF! The USPS is just price gouging everyone these days! If you get one I certainly hope you can get one locally because the shipping will cost way too much, but do certainly get one if you can, like I said, just to try it out, but get it locally. If you absolutely have to I'd say get it online and get it from someone who charges actual shipping, but definitely look into if you can find it locally on CL or something first to avoid paying that large extra amount.

Probably not far off. The main unit at least $20... probably $25. $10-$15 for the Trak-Ball, and how much for games depends on whether you go for a multi-cart (expensive for the 5200!) or how many carts you can get all at once. So for a decent setup, at least $50 minimum just in shipping. Plus the new controllers! Gack... it is an expensive system. I probably have $300+ into my setup not counting shipping and I don't even have a multicart yet!

then there's not much reason to have the 5200.

And "I like to express my opinions as though they are facts"-itis strikes again on Atariage.

I think that's more of an Internet endemic rather than something specific to AtariAge. I know I catch it once in a while and caught it in this thread for a bit! :lol:

then there's not much reason to have the 5200.

And "I like to express my opinions as though they are facts"-itis strikes again on Atariage.

Excuse me? It's pretty clear that what I'm expressing is exactly that -- my opinion. I think I presented a pretty well-balanced opinion. I made it clear that I love the 5200 and expressed some of it's strengths and things I like about it enough to have it. Your comment towards me is ridiculous. Apparently you can't distinguish between when someone is expressing their opinion and a known fact without it being spelled out for you. Do I need to raise my hand when expressing an opinion so you know what's going on and don't get confused? Not to mention that your little quote of me there is clearly not taking the entire context of what I said (across multiple posts) into account. Especially the context of I have a nice 5200 setup and I love it, which I clearly stated! Thanks for making an issue out of something where there wasn't one.

As far as I know, the 5200 versions of Berserk and Vanguard are as close to the arcade originals as you are going to get. A lot of people don't like Vanguard, but I have a soft spot for it.

Berzerk is one of the few carts I still don't have for the 5200. Just never happened to pick it up, even though it's quite common. That and Space Invaders are my two big gaping 5200 holes!

its one of the only things that really lived up to my expectations it really does look and feel twice as good as the 2600 also with my pc to 5200 adapters i have an extremely large quanity of aftermarket joysticks that work with it

and its a cheap and easy interface

Edited by bohoki