IGNORED

Atari 5200, why do you like it?

Dastari Creel

Also, the fact that people have been used to getting "arcade perfect" (well, almost) versions of the games in the plug N play joysticks (Jakks, etc) means that they would see A800/5200 versions as little more than "compromised" games.

Most of the BEST ORIGINAL games for the A800/5200 would likely never been heard of before by the Joe Blow average consumer. Many would never have the right secured for them to be in such a device....so no Archon, etc. All probably why we'll never see such a device. The Flashback stuff already has the best name recognition and broadest appeal, and even it got a rather limited (and even more so with the 2+) selection of games leaving out many of the best.

Even the Jakks joystick is severly limited and the one I have is like 2600 games. You can't assume the flashback appeal is due to 2600 and would be less for A800/A5200. As I said, some people just buy for the sake of being "Atari" or just for retro stuff or some other reason besides it being a 2600 unit. In fact, flashback I isn't 2600 compatible and still sold so many. It's not any Atari unit compatible.

He twisted my words around-- I never said A800/A5200 was more popular presently nor back then-- I just said that a flashback of A800/A5200 would be just as popular given people generally would by the "Atari" tag and overlap of interest, general retro interest, etc. And just because more people heard of it more back then doesn't apply today.

I never meant to twist your words, I thought you meant the A8 and 5200 in general. My apologies. It also doesn't help that I'm kinda pissed for outside reasons right now...

Edited by ApolloBoy

Find the quote where I said that. You claimed A2600 is more popular without a shred of evidence. I have no idea what you're reading.

I asked you to prove to me if the 5200 and 8-bit are just as popular, if not more, than the 2600 as you claim they are. This is what you originally said:

That's not what you wrote. You wanted me to prove A5200/A800 is more popular. That's different from what I wrote. Since I have NO EVIDENCE that either would be more popular if flashback versions were done for each, I didn't make any such claim, but you went on to speculate the A2600 flashback is more popular without any evidence.

I think A8/5200 system would be just as popular if not more than a A2600 clone.

Yep, that doesn't imply that A5200/A800 is more popular.

Since you asked me to prove the 2600's popularity, I figured I might as well. Just for starters, when I google "atari 2600", I get about 2 million hits. When I look up "atari 8-bit" and "atari 5200", I get around 1.5 million and 411,000 hits respectively. When I look on eBay, I get 10,000 items for the 2600. When I look for "atari 800" and "atari 5200" on eBay, I get 752 and 828 items respectively. I also looked up the number of each system sold just to get a better idea of how popular these systems were. I wasn't able to find a definite figure for any of the systems, but it was anywhere between 25 and 40 million systems for the 2600, a million for the 5200, and about two million for all 8-bit models combined.

You are completely confused. You can't prove which Flashback would have sold more by random internet searches or what sold more in 1970s/1980s. Plus, you are mixing up the fact that Flashbacks are already out there and have been for many years. And forgot to read my points that even amongst 2600 users, there are overlaps and retro-freaks who would have taken any NEW "Atari" product. That's exactly the reason I bought it-- I had no idea it was A2600 compatible-- just curious as to what was on it. I was utterly disappointed (along with others that bought it that I know) that it wasn't even 7800 type graphics.

I wish I could find more definite research, but it's sufficient to say that the 2600 was more popular than either the 5200 or A8 by a long margin.

Wrong. It's just your speculation. And why do you use the word "WAS"; that's not the point. Perhaps, you need to re-read the point before just spitting out whatever is coming to the top of your head.

He twisted my words around-- I never said A800/A5200 was more popular presently nor back then-- I just said that a flashback of A800/A5200 would be just as popular given people generally would by the "Atari" tag and overlap of interest, general retro interest, etc. And just because more people heard of it more back then doesn't apply today.

I never meant to twist your words, I thought you meant the A8 and 5200 in general. My apologies. It also doesn't help that I'm kinda pissed for outside reasons right now...

The issue is flashback of those systems not which WAS more popular.

One way to prove it for sure would have been if both had been released at the same time and the A2600 compatible flashback sold more than the A800/A5200 flashback. But that's undoable.

EDIT: I need better reading comprehension. Sorry atariksi.

Okay, I didn't see you edited that post.

Yeah, just go ahead and ignore everything I said to you since I didn't read far enough into your inital post. Anyway, I think a 5200/A8 Flashback would be a neat idea. I'm not sure exactly how well it'd sell, but if it had the capability for adding a cart slot (a la Flashback 2/2+) and a keyboard, I'd snatch one up in a heartbeat.

EDIT: I need better reading comprehension. Sorry atariksi.

Okay, I didn't see you edited that post.

Yeah, just go ahead and ignore everything I said to you since I didn't read far enough into your inital post. Anyway, I think a 5200/A8 Flashback would be a neat idea. I'm not sure exactly how well it'd sell, but if it had the capability for adding a cart slot (a la Flashback 2/2+) and a keyboard, I'd snatch one up in a heartbeat.

Yeah, the cartridge slot definitely would help and SIO port as well.

I remember the day it came out and some friends got a 5200. I had a VCS, but the graphics just did not compare. I saw them playing Centipede and Pac Man on that brand new shiny 5200 and lusted after it.

Fast forward to 2008, I picked up a 4-port model at a yard sale. I now have about 20 games for the 5200 along with a trac ball and Wico sticks. This system is the greatest. I have never played a 7800, but there is no way it could compare.

Graphically for the same games, the 7800 wins and can move many more sprites without flicker. The 7800 version of Ms. Pac-Man is closer to the real thing. On the sound side, the 5200 wins,

I remember the day it came out and some friends got a 5200. I had a VCS, but the graphics just did not compare. I saw them playing Centipede and Pac Man on that brand new shiny 5200 and lusted after it.

Fast forward to 2008, I picked up a 4-port model at a yard sale. I now have about 20 games for the 5200 along with a trac ball and Wico sticks. This system is the greatest. I have never played a 7800, but there is no way it could compare.

Graphically for the same games, the 7800 wins and can move many more sprites without flicker. The 7800 version of Ms. Pac-Man is closer to the real thing. On the sound side, the 5200 wins,

If you don't count expanding the hardware on the cartridge, A5200 would do better in graphics in areas where more RAM was needed like 3D games and general 2D games requiring a frame buffer (rather than a vector/char based rendering).

Yes, Ms. Pac-man on 7800 is better as 7800 has more sprites than 5200, but sprites can't be considered all of what constitutes graphics.

7800 ms pac man is also one of the few (non modern) home ports to use an aspect ratio like the arcade as well as full screen image. (granted 800/5200 Ms Pac man is closer to the arcade size than A800/5200 pac man --many later ports tended to use scrolling rather than showing the whole playfield)

7800 ms pac man is also one of the few (non modern) home ports to use an aspect ratio like the arcade as well as full screen image. (granted 800/5200 Ms Pac man is closer to the arcade size than A800/5200 pac man --many later ports tended to use scrolling rather than showing the whole playfield)

I think there's some pac-man version(s) that do have the scrolling on Atari machines.

It's hard to explain why I like the 5200. Especially what drew me to he system in the first place! My first Atari was a 7800 I bought at the flea market when I was getting into old games back in the late 90's. Next was a Colecovision. But, I kept seeing these sleek looking monsters sitting at the flea markets basically ignored. The 5200 just looks great and somewhat futuristic with its styling and those joysticks kinda kick off the geeky control fascination in me. Now, I admit having a bad first try with the 5200 because of the joysticks and returned two of them because of that. But.... I saw potential there to be a fun system and after having a deal for a Vectrex drop through, I managed to get a two port 5200 with one working controler instead. A couple years later I found the 4 port (in better condition) I now use regularly and after getting a rebuilt controller the rest is history! It's still a great system after all these years and one I personally think was killed off too soon. :love:

It's hard to explain why I like the 5200. Especially what drew me to he system in the first place! My first Atari was a 7800 I bought at the flea market when I was getting into old games back in the late 90's. Next was a Colecovision. But, I kept seeing these sleek looking monsters sitting at the flea markets basically ignored. The 5200 just looks great and somewhat futuristic with its styling and those joysticks kinda kick off the geeky control fascination in me. Now, I admit having a bad first try with the 5200 because of the joysticks and returned two of them because of that. But.... I saw potential there to be a fun system and after having a deal for a Vectrex drop through, I managed to get a two port 5200 with one working controler instead. A couple years later I found the 4 port (in better condition) I now use regularly and after getting a rebuilt controller the rest is history! It's still a great system after all these years and one I personally think was killed off too soon. :love:

So why do you prefer the 4-port over the 2-port? I personally use the 2-port still since it has standard RF cable and power supply. I don't have to see those sparks coming out everytime I plug in the adapter into the auto-sensing RF switch box.

• Like 1

Berzerk. When I first got my 5200 from a town-wide garage sale back in 1998, it didn't work. I had to wire Port 1 to Port 2- as I was tinkering away (I wasn't as skilled back then), FINALLY, I got the thing to speak. It worked!

And this game is just so much like the arcade, in spite of the minor differences. It just is.

Defender. Not as tough as the arcade, but great.

Pac-Man and Ms. Pac-Man. Neither is as good as Opcode's CV versions, but these versions are actually an interesting difference. Plus- they're just fun.

Blueprint. Sure, it depends too much on luck and the machine is too stiff and clumsy, but this obscure arcade game is mine to play. Unusually detailed for a 5200 game.

Qix. Another obscure game from so long ago, this one IS Qix. Flawless, and with the options, even more fun to play.

Robotron: 2084. Yes, it's missing the color GREEN, but it's a blast to play. 5200 owners must have been really happy with it back in 1983.

Super Breakout. A stupid pack-in game, but in 2010, not really a direct issue beyond "what if" discussions. If you have paddles for it, this 1970s classic is fun.

Centipede. You need the trak-ball. If you have it, then this is better than the 7800 version. Why did the CV version have to look so crummy?

Pengo. Showed that the 5200 could handle cute games nicely.

Space Dungeon. The CV wasn't the only one that boasted obscure games.

Super Pac-Man. Why, Atari, didn't you stick with the 5200 and release this one?

Ease of chip removal. No desoldering/soldering needed.

I like the 5200 better than the 7800.

Same for the VCS, at least the 6-switch models. (all socketed)

Is that true for all 6-switch models? And I see some claiming "Heavy sixer" -- what's the difference?

It's true for all I've seen (pictures online and the 3 I've seen in person), that's 1 heavy sixer and 2 "light sixers."

The heavy sixer has a different bottom case (rounder, less angled sides and much thicker plastic -plus spots for the planned built-in speakers and no channel 3/4 switch) and was the first model released, the "light sixer" is much more common, but the primary difference is the bottom casing. (some seem to have similar internals to the heavy sixer, some vary more -the light sixer I ave now uses a different looking circuit board and different ribbon cable than the earliest models)

Same for the VCS, at least the 6-switch models. (all socketed)

Is that true for all 6-switch models? And I see some claiming "Heavy sixer" -- what's the difference?

It's true for all I've seen (pictures online and the 3 I've seen in person), that's 1 heavy sixer and 2 "light sixers."

The heavy sixer has a different bottom case (rounder, less angled sides and much thicker plastic -plus spots for the planned built-in speakers and no channel 3/4 switch) and was the first model released, the "light sixer" is much more common, but the primary difference is the bottom casing. (some seem to have similar internals to the heavy sixer, some vary more -the light sixer I ave now uses a different looking circuit board and different ribbon cable than the earliest models)

Are there connections internally to put the speakers in without requiring additional circuit?

There's no additonal circuitry AFIK (no additional audio amp or such) just molding in the case for 2 speakers and grooved cut through the cover for sound. (in rough circular patterns directly above the bottom molding. (this also makes it easier for dust to get in)

Edited by kool kitty89

There's no additonal circuitry AFIK (no additional audio amp or such) just molding in the case for 2 speakers and grooved cut through the cover for sound. (in rough circular patterns directly above the bottom molding. (this also makes it easier for dust to get in)

So having socketed chips and space for speakers drives the prices for these real high.

So having socketed chips and space for speakers drives the prices for these real high.

Prices are high for the heavy sixer because they're the earliest models and are rather rare. The normal "light" six-switch models are pretty common (I've seen more 6 switchers in person than 4-switch or Jrs) and seem to be priced similarly to the 4-switch models fairly often. (it varies -by condition as well)