IGNORED

Cartridge storage

Dastari Creel

Now that I have Atari games and I'm building my collection, how should I store it? All my NES games are encased in hard plastic shells that are fairly dust tight. Basically when I buy a game, I give the cartridge a thorough cleaning and then encase it in the shell (you'd be shocked at some of the things I've seen inside carts, I swear one guy must have been keeping one in a chimney). Obviously I'm going to clean my new 2600/7800 games as well but then what do I do with them? Has anyone made hard plastic shells for these games? How do you store your collection?

Now that I have Atari games and I'm building my collection, how should I store it? All my NES games are encased in hard plastic shells that are fairly dust tight. Basically when I buy a game, I give the cartridge a thorough cleaning and then encase it in the shell (you'd be shocked at some of the things I've seen inside carts, I swear one guy must have been keeping one in a chimney). Obviously I'm going to clean my new 2600/7800 games as well but then what do I do with them? Has anyone made hard plastic shells for these games? How do you store your collection?

To my knowledge, there aren't any plastic cases available for atari carts.

Well, I think most people stack them or keep them in storage containers. I personally have them stacked up on a DVD storage bookshelf. I've seen lots of photos of people who keep them in plastic storage bins or drawers. If you want to be really extravagant, you can built a custom shelf.

Check out http://www.atariage.com/forums/forum/112-show-us-your-collection/ here on atariage. Folks have shared their collections. Might give you some ideas.

To my knowledge, there aren't any plastic cases available for atari carts.

Well, I think most people stack them or keep them in storage containers. I personally have them stacked up on a DVD storage bookshelf. I've seen lots of photos of people who keep them in plastic storage bins or drawers. If you want to be really extravagant, you can built a custom shelf.

Check out http://www.atariage.com/forums/forum/112-show-us-your-collection/ here on atariage. Folks have shared their collections. Might give you some ideas.

Thanks! I'm starting to run out of room for games with my 7800 collection, master system collection, and NES collection. The master system games all came in their original boxes and I have hard plastic shells for my NES and I'd like to do something similar for the Atari. I play my games but I believe in keeping them in a dust tight environment when they're not being played to try and prevent the need for cleaning as much as possible.

I am surprised that some sort of Atari collector's outfit hasn't made shells for them but I guess Atari games are small enough that they figure people can come up with their own solutions for that sort of thing.

• 2 weeks later...

It may not be the prettiest method, but personally, I use large sealable (airtight) plastic storage containers. Each one holds about 50-ish cartridges. I carefully put them in there, and add some silica gel packets with them to keep the moisture levels down. It's worked quite well so far. It's a bit obnoxious when you want a game from the very bottom, but, it's better than letting them be exposed to dust. I'm sure a different strategy would be employed for long-term storage or "collector's item" status, but I regularly play mine, so it works for my purpose.

• 2 weeks later...

It may not be the prettiest method, but personally, I use large sealable (airtight) plastic storage containers. Each one holds about 50-ish cartridges. I carefully put them in there, and add some silica gel packets with them to keep the moisture levels down. It's worked quite well so far. It's a bit obnoxious when you want a game from the very bottom, but, it's better than letting them be exposed to dust. I'm sure a different strategy would be employed for long-term storage or "collector's item" status, but I regularly play mine, so it works for my purpose.

Yeah that sounds pretty good. I'm of the mentality that I want to be able to play my games regularly but have them completely "dust tight" in-between playing, so your method seems to work pretty well.