IGNORED

Having Atari 7800 Problems!

ZIMM

well, my original Atari 7800 is finally having problems. I think it is the cable, but not sure. when I plug it into my vcr there is very loud static and not much video. when I plug it into my tv using an original atari game box or radio shack game box there is static, the image rolls and it is a little to the side. anyone know what is wrong? maybe it is just the cable? if it is, what cable should I get? gold plated? I hear those are really good. if it is not the cable, what do you think it is? the power supply? it is the original atari 7800 power plug. maybe just the system? if it is the system, hopefully they are easy to find. I have not been in the market for a 7800 since 1984.

well, my original Atari 7800 is finally having problems. I think it is the cable, but not sure. when I plug it into my vcr there is very loud static and not much video. when I plug it into my tv using an original atari game box or radio shack game box there is static, the image rolls and it is a little to the side. anyone know what is wrong? maybe it is just the cable? if it is, what cable should I get? gold plated? I hear those are really good. if it is not the cable, what do you think it is? the power supply? it is the original atari 7800 power plug. maybe just the system? if it is the system, hopefully they are easy to find. I have not been in the market for a 7800 since 1984.

Sounds like the cable, though I'm certainly no expert. If you're using the original RF converter, definably consider replacing it. I used a regular RCA cable and one of these. You can buy one on the Atariage store or at Radio Shack.

Edited by Lendorien

thanks guys!

I got a RCA cable from Radio Shack for $7. it now works so much better! but, I do have to turn the cable in the back of the 7800 when there is static to make that go away. not a big problem though. it is now so much better. I really wanted gold plated cable, but they did not have any. yeah, I already have one of those coaxil adapters. that works great! I use it for my 7800 and 2600.

but, I have some bad news. my 7800 controller and european 7800 pad controller are now not really working. I always had problems with my original 7800 controller. it works, but it is sticky. now the same issue is with the pad controller. that problem started after I played Berzerk for 10 hrs straight for the new world record. :) I was hoping the Flashback 7800 style controller would work with it, but it does not. so, I am now in the market for a 7800 controller.