IGNORED

Double Dragon Maps

Mord

I need a break between playing Disgaea and .hack and so here we go.

I probably should have just went with Stage 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 rather than trying to break it down into mission types, but oh well. I'll just post another map every couple of days.

Tips for anyone playing the game: There is only one move worth using. The elbow. (up and punch) Anything else is going to get you hit.

Ideally try to trap the enemy in a corner and just repeatedly elbow them as they stand. If this feels cheap to you, rest assured they will do the same to you if given the chance.

In the few locations in the game where there are no corners, stay near the top of the screen, pressing up the entire time. If the enemy is in "Attack" mode, they won't come near you. Strange how that works. If none will move towards you, quickly stop pressing up for a split second and resume. There's a chance the enemy will change to their "Get Behind" routine and start walking towards you. Any enemy that is walking towards you, elbow them.

Repeat until the game is over.

post-4460-127149725353_thumb.png

post-4460-127149741996_thumb.png

• Like 2

I think I beat the game by only using the reverse jump kick. If I recall correctly you can just get in one of the bottom corners and let all the bad guys come to you. I think occasionally some bad guys would not go into "attack mode" and I'd have to move out of the corner but not very often.

By the way Mord, as always awesome maps.

Next map. :)

Thanks Mord! Keep 'em coming!

I always wondered how this game would turn out with a better artist and more time on the graphics? I find the art direction for most of the levels (except the third and the fifth) to be not so nice. The 7800 has 256 colors and I think they could have chosen better ones in DD.

I have not played the 7800 version of this game but will buy it as soon as I can. I have a question about this tactics...

Sure one can elbow enemies as mucj as one want to but is'nt it better to just throw them out in a hole or down from a mountain/skyscraper/into water?

Thats my favorite attack in the Double Dragon series, to grab them and throw them somewhere they either drown or fall down

I have not played the 7800 version of this game but will buy it as soon as I can. I have a question about this tactics...

Sure one can elbow enemies as mucj as one want to but is'nt it better to just throw them out in a hole or down from a mountain/skyscraper/into water?

Thats my favorite attack in the Double Dragon series, to grab them and throw them somewhere they either drown or fall down

No shoulder throws in this version. No barrels to toss, no statues with spears and no blocks either. It smacks of "done quick" and "done cheap".

No shoulder throws in this version. No barrels to toss, no statues with spears and no blocks either. It smacks of "done quick" and "done cheap".

Additionally, I've tried kicking enemies over cliffs/into water/etc. Doesn't work. They react to it as if it were a wall - while it's child's play for you to jump/walk over it yourself. That's why I stuck to the elbow. ;)

... but on time and in budget icon_razz.gif

Yeah. As much as it would be easy to blame a lot of the games on the 7800 on "lazy developers", I think that might not be fair. Developers are employed by software companies that are in the business to make money. If the market is not guaranteed, the developers may be put under various constraints to keep the costs down ... reduced time to develop the product (including learning the system) and restricted space.

At the time, DD was quite expensive relative to most 7800 games. I think I paid $42.99 Canadian for my copy back then. Who knows how much the license for DD was, but I'd bet Activision didn't want to pay for a long development cycle or a 256K cartridge to store all the goodies.

That said, I've never been real impressed with the quality of games that came out of Absolute Entertainment/Imagineering or Ibid Inc.

Next map. In pretty much every version of Double Dragon I've played, that freaking bridge chills me to the bone.

You know there's a secret way to get across it, right? ;)

-John

Nope, but I did figure out the best place to jump from eventually. :ponder:

One issue I had with this game is it's poor sense of "3d" depth. Like in the 2-1 stage where you'd jump up from one platform to another. You don't land where you would expect yourself to land.

Nope, but I did figure out the best place to jump from eventually. icon_ponder.gif

When you get to the bridge, walk to the tree line just before the bridge starts.

Then walk right until you can't physically move.

Jump forward twice and you'll be able to walk behind the bridge

A tip in one of the mags way back when.

One issue I had with this game is it's poor sense of "3d" depth. Like in the 2-1 stage where you'd jump up from one platform to another. You don't land where you would expect yourself to land.

Yeah - the physics are screwy. Sorta like the AI.

Again ... rushed.

And done. The game's a lot shorter than I had expected it to be, honestly. :)

Yeah. I wonder if they ever talked about having a 256K cart for the game. I never understood why it blanks out mid-level in certain areas.

Thanks for doing this! What's next on your hit list?

Edited by DracIsBack

Yeah. I wonder if they ever talked about having a 256K cart for the game. I never understood why it blanks out mid-level in certain areas.

I could only presume it's done to switch which character map to use. Would probably be easier to just start a new map than trying to figure out the best way to seemlessly switch between the two. That's just a guess tho.

Thanks for doing this! What's next on your hit list?

I haven't given it any thought yet. I'll probably browse over various games over the next month or two and try a few random maps to see how things go. :)

Why is anyone talking move set and weapons? Everyone knows you beat the game using the hold up "bug." I've gotten tired of beating this game.

Here's Vinnie's article on it (I got it from the Way Bak MAchine, as I think his site is gone).

http://web.archive.org/web/20051218192211/flipsiderunner.com/7800/doubledragondc.html

"Intimidation mode" stops enemies dead except if they decide to walk into your fist.

Additionally, I've tried kicking enemies over cliffs/into water/etc. Doesn't work. They react to it as if it were a wall - while it's child's play for you to jump/walk over it yourself. That's why I stuck to the elbow. ;)

Thats bad in its way :(

I dont like when the game is cheating. But still, I'll give it a chance