IGNORED

Poly bags to protect game cartridges?

I'd been thinking about trying this but I was wondering if anyone stores their carts in poly bags? I like to keep my loose carts (ie all of them, I don't keep them in boxes, even if I own the box.) on shelves for display and ease of selection. Also, it saves a lot of space, which is at a premium as it is. But I think about how the lables and connectors are always exposed to the air and dust.

I was thinking of picking up some different sized poly bags to protect them but I was wondering if it's worth the hassle. Nothing I own is particularly rare, but I like to keep things nice.

I figure they would have to be a fairly tailored fit in the bags. Not so tight that they would have to stretch the bag to get it on, but not so loose as to look sloppy either. I'd also want to be able to still read the end lables, so they would need to be very clear as well.

Any thoughts?

Yes, I have been doing this for about 5 years or so. I got the bags from atariguide.com along with the small dessicant packs. The way I do it, I put the cart in, end-label first, so it's at the already-sealed end of the bag so you can still read the label through the bag. Then, I put a dessicant pack in, sort of tucked into the end of the cart that goes into the console (to enable them to lie as flat as possible on their ends or sides for that matter).

I feel that it's crazy not to do this. Now note, this is only my opinion, and there are good reasons not to (I'll get to that below), but if you think about the fact that any humidity in the air is a major contributing factor to label damage over time as well as to corrosion of the metals in the cart, then I think it's the only way (that I've thought of) to keep carts in as good of condition as possible. For this same reason, I don't keep carts inside their boxes (except when the boxes are sealed, obviously).

I haven't done it yet, but I'm thinking of putting all my manuals inside larger plastic bags with dessicant packs as well. In bunches, not individually, just to keep potential humidity in the air away from them.

Now, I admit that this solution isn't perfect. It makes the carts harder to store, due to the increased size/bulk of the cart with the bag, and they will no longer stack easily due to the slipperiness of the bags. So, it's a probably a horrible solution for those who want to display their games on a shelf or whatever. So, I can totally understand people who don't say this is a good idea from that perspective. They also will no longer fit into most game boxes (without ruining the box). I want my carts to have the best chance of being in good condition in 10-20 years, so, to me, it's worth it. I'm also thinking of building a special wooden case that has slots a little larger than normal to accommodate the carts in their bags. Sure, the bags will still be present, so it still won't look as cool as a rack of naked carts, but they'll be displayed and will be protected.

But for now, I keep them all in clear/white stackable drawers, end-label up. It's not the best for display, but it does work out handily for easy access and going through to see what I have or need (alphabetized by manufacturer).

So, there's the good and the bad that I've found. There's no right answer, as you can see. Just depends on what your goals are, and I suppose, on how paranoid you are ;)

I am going to go take a photo of my storage setup right now so you can see how well (or not well) they display so you know better what you're getting into before you drop the coin on bags and such. By the way, I keep all my carts in these bags that fit, not just Atari. About the only ones that don't fit (that I collect) are SNES & Vic-20 (I no longer collect NES). Oh, and Xonox of course (Sega-brand 2600 are snug but do fit). But I keep Intellivision, A8, C64, CV, N64, etc all in these bags with the dessicant. Also cassette tapes fit fine in these... I keep my C64/Vic-20 cassettes in them.

Back in a few with photos.

• Like 1

Okay, here's a couple pics of one of my storage towers. Each drawer holds give-or-take 90 carts. Please pardon what you can see of my currently dump-n-run gameroom. Cart ends are usually more readable... the flash is reducing visibility here.

It's not perfect, but they are well-protected. They are also protected from light damage where they wouldn't be (probably) displayed on a shelf. It's give-and-take.

Oh, also, minor detail, but another thing I do with the bags to stay organized is that I put all main carts and label variations that I'm keeping into a bag with dessicant. Any doubles that I can trade away (not too many left now), I leave unbagged. Easy and quick identification for me.

post-16769-127158822605_thumb.jpg

post-16769-127158822821_thumb.jpg

I don't do it for my whole collection. But a few years back when I got into Atari Homebrews, AA sends the games in the bags, I got some bags for the games I play the most, to keep the dirt and stuff out. Their just shoved in drawrs and boxes other than that. One downside, you have to fiddle with the bag all the time. Up side though, all the carts without homes in boxes or other storage, it's good to keep them clean.

Okay, here's a couple pics of one of my storage towers. Each drawer holds give-or-take 90 carts. Please pardon what you can see of my currently dump-n-run gameroom. Cart ends are usually more readable... the flash is reducing visibility here.

It's not perfect, but they are well-protected. They are also protected from light damage where they wouldn't be (probably) displayed on a shelf. It's give-and-take.

Oh, also, minor detail, but another thing I do with the bags to stay organized is that I put all main carts and label variations that I'm keeping into a bag with dessicant. Any doubles that I can trade away (not too many left now), I leave unbagged. Easy and quick identification for me.

Wow that's ccool, what type of storage tower is that? I mean, it's perfect for Atari games! I'd like to get a couple (though I bet it cost quiet a bit, I think for something that nice looking It'd be worth it IMO )

Some kind of CD or DVD tower I assume?

Edited by Video

I got them at Target about 3 years ago. They're made by Sterilite. I believe they were about $20 for each drawer, so yeah, kinda pricey. I figured I could always use them for something if not this. Unfortunately, I don't see that same drawer size on the Target website anymore. Maybe they don't make them now, I don't know. There's other Sterilite and other brands that would work though, just maybe not quite as well size-wise. On these, each drawer is tall enough for the carts in the bags then a little extra clearance on top for if I want to put another cart flat on top or a cable or whatever.

Note that in that photo, I only have the drawer pulled out a little more than half way. They're quite deep.

Wow. That is hardcore! (equals more respect for you!)

Thanks for the info Mirage, I'm going to look into those bags. I like the drawers too, really sharp! I might have to go that route at some points, I'm running out of wall space for shelving. I'd miss being able to look at them though! How many cart can you fit in a drawer that size?

Edited by SRGilbert