IGNORED

A quick question regarding 5200 games

carmel_andrews

Just been looking at the various rom files in my 5200 directory (by chance) and I could'nt help but notice that some games or most games came out in various rom sizes i.e 8k, 16k and 32k (not forgetting the 40 or 48k for BBSB)

Now, considering that rom memory prices (like their ram equivalents) were still at premium prices during the 5200's lifespan wasn't releasing these games in various rom sizes a bit on the extravagant side (for atari and 3rd party publishers) or was this done to 'pad out' the number of 5200 releases

take for instance star raiders, which is only 8k on the A8, yet the 5200 versions are 16 and 32k respectively, were or was there any improvements or embellishments on the 5200 version that warranted the larger rom size, and consequently for any a8 game that was ported to the 5200 where the 5200 version came with a larger rom size, as well as 5200 games that were'nt done on the a8 but had but 8 16 or 32k versions done (were the larger rom size versions of the game better or improved on the smaller rom veraions of the same game)

just curious that is all

• Like 1

Just been looking at the various rom files in my 5200 directory (by chance) and I could'nt help but notice that some games or most games came out in various rom sizes i.e 8k, 16k and 32k (not forgetting the 40 or 48k for BBSB)

Now, considering that rom memory prices (like their ram equivalents) were still at premium prices during the 5200's lifespan wasn't releasing these games in various rom sizes a bit on the extravagant side (for atari and 3rd party publishers) or was this done to 'pad out' the number of 5200 releases

take for instance star raiders, which is only 8k on the A8, yet the 5200 versions are 16 and 32k respectively, were or was there any improvements or embellishments on the 5200 version that warranted the larger rom size, and consequently for any a8 game that was ported to the 5200 where the 5200 version came with a larger rom size, as well as 5200 games that were'nt done on the a8 but had but 8 16 or 32k versions done (were the larger rom size versions of the game better or improved on the smaller rom veraions of the same game)

just curious that is all

Having played Pac-man on both, it's obvious pac-man on A5200 is harder and has those intermissions between various levels. I guess you'll have to find out what size ROM pac-man is using or what portion of the ROM (if it's 32K) it's actually using. A8 version is 8K.

There was a later version of Pac-Man for the A8 on disk that included the intermissions. Not sure if it is the same as the 5200 version, or what its size is. I don't think it was the same however, because the 5200 version seemed to have a faster moving Pac-Man, while the A8 versions both seemed to have a slower Pac-Man character.

The Later Atari 8-bit "disk version" of Pac-Man was a Datasoft Release. Atari Actually had a Cart Rom image for this version that was going to be released (but never made it as usual).

I sell those carts for the A8 in my eBay store. The Rom in that one is 16k

The Atari 5200 version is actually the same version. it uses a 16k cart.

The only thing that Datasoft did when doing their version for the A8 was take the 5200 version and re-write the joystick routines for the 8-Bit digital controllers, change the maze color to a deeper blue and change the sound of Pac-Man eating to a more traditional arcade like sound.

• Like 1

Sal,

Datasoft also released Pole Position on disk for the A8. Was that the same as the 5200 ROM, or the A8 rom? And how did Datasoft get permission to release Atari owned licensed games on disk? Payments, I'm guessing.

It was just cheaper than doing it themselves I think. As Far as I know, Pole Position was identical on both systems with the controller routine changed for the 5200. all Datasoft did was put their name on the blimp.

• Like 1

Sal,

Datasoft also released Pole Position on disk for the A8. Was that the same as the 5200 ROM, or the A8 rom? And how did Datasoft get permission to release Atari owned licensed games on disk? Payments, I'm guessing.

It was just cheaper than doing it themselves I think. As Far as I know, Pole Position was identical on both systems with the controller routine changed for the 5200. all Datasoft did was put their name on the blimp.

Thanks for the answer (and the link to your store). That answers some of Carmel's question as well.