IGNORED

Atari 2600 and LCD panel

Uzumaki

My old TV was on the blink and so I needed a new TV in the 20" range. I checked local Goodwill first but they wanted too much for TVs:

about $100 for older TV that has only 300 ohms input

about $150 for TV that comes with remote controller

I figured if I was going to pay that much, I might as well get a NEW one with warranty, and that is returnable (unlike Goodwill's no return on electronics) I ended up with a Sylvana 22" for $230 and so far it does well with some older game consoles but it isn't friendly with Atari 2600. (I originally tried a Phillips 22", it was worst with Gamecube and N64 not displaying proper color at all on composite!!!)

With Sylvana TV I got, I am able to use RF out of my SMS (I misplaced my AV cable again :mad:) but 3D support doesn't work. That is expected with LCD monitor and really, the only game I like to play in 3D is Space Harrier so I could live without it. No light guns either but no game I play frequently needs it.

My 2600 Vader that is AV modded, which worked fine with my old TV, shows horrible ghosting on a few games and no picture on most games :( It is likely the output is not quite to proper standard and is being rejected by my TV. That is expected as AV mods are really hacks that aren't FCC approved or regulated.

If I connected the 2600 via RF cable, and switch to analog ch 3 (tried 2 as well, same thing), I can never get any signal. If I do it through my old VCR, it works fine with most games so it seems 2600's output it a bit weak and below standard level. I have tried another 2600 console with no AV mod and it's pretty much the same thing. I didn't want to keep the VCR around just for the 2600 so I need another option.

What can be done to get 2600 to play nice with newer TVs? Flashback 2.0 doesn't work with all games, particularly my favorite Pitfall 2, so modded FB2 is out.

My old TV was on the blink and so I needed a new TV in the 20" range. I checked local Goodwill first but they wanted too much for TVs:

about $100 for older TV that has only 300 ohms input

about $150 for TV that comes with remote controller

I figured if I was going to pay that much, I might as well get a NEW one with warranty, and that is returnable (unlike Goodwill's no return on electronics) I ended up with a Sylvana 22" for $230 and so far it does well with some older game consoles but it isn't friendly with Atari 2600. (I originally tried a Phillips 22", it was worst with Gamecube and N64 not displaying proper color at all on composite!!!)

With Sylvana TV I got, I am able to use RF out of my SMS (I misplaced my AV cable again icon_angry.gif) but 3D support doesn't work. That is expected with LCD monitor and really, the only game I like to play in 3D is Space Harrier so I could live without it. No light guns either but no game I play frequently needs it.

My 2600 Vader that is AV modded, which worked fine with my old TV, shows horrible ghosting on a few games and no picture on most games icon_sad.gif It is likely the output is not quite to proper standard and is being rejected by my TV. That is expected as AV mods are really hacks that aren't FCC approved or regulated.

If I connected the 2600 via RF cable, and switch to analog ch 3 (tried 2 as well, same thing), I can never get any signal. If I do it through my old VCR, it works fine with most games so it seems 2600's output it a bit weak and below standard level. I have tried another 2600 console with no AV mod and it's pretty much the same thing. I didn't want to keep the VCR around just for the 2600 so I need another option.

What can be done to get 2600 to play nice with newer TVs? Flashback 2.0 doesn't work with all games, particularly my favorite Pitfall 2, so modded FB2 is out.

Try switching your tv from analog to air. Thats what I had to do with my 15inch polaroid flatscreen HDtv. I know that It may not make sense and it may not work but hey it doesnt hurt to try.

Do you have the older 3/4 polaroid? I got that set and love it....I don't think Polaroid makes TV's anymore though, or I haven't seen any in a while.

IMO, the Flashback is a bit on the dark side for most stuff....I can only assume that a moded 2600 will have the same problem. I do play mine through antenna though just fine....but then, mine's not moded either.

Do you have the older 3/4 polaroid? I got that set and love it....I don't think Polaroid makes TV's anymore though, or I haven't seen any in a while.

IMO, the Flashback is a bit on the dark side for most stuff....I can only assume that a moded 2600 will have the same problem. I do play mine through antenna though just fine....but then, mine's not moded either.

I dont know. I bought my Polaroid two years ago. It's a 15.4 inch HD widescreen lCD tv, model number TLA-0511C. I beleve that they had alot of problems with them, display would go out, some of the imputs would malfunction. I dont think they make them any more. Frankly I dont see any Polaroid tv's anymore ether. lucky I have never had any problems with mine. I'd be pissed if it brooke after two years. For $230 I better get my money's worth! My four switch is unmodded and played through the antenna with one of those rca to coax push on connectors. small, good picture and cheap.