IGNORED

Your top 5 rare boxed Sears games....

schuwalker

With my recent purchase of a boxed Checkers....I just wanted to know your top 5 rare boxed Sears games.....My opinion...

1-Cannon Man

2-Math Gran Prix

3-Checkers

4-Superman

5-Demons to Diamonds/Sub Commander---I cheated!

What's yours? Keep in mine BOXED is the keyword!

Checkers is WAY harder to get than Math Gran Prix. Just ask Marco.

With my recent purchase of a boxed Checkers....I just wanted to know your top 5 rare boxed Sears games.....My opinion...

1-Cannon Man

2-Math Gran Prix

3-Checkers

4-Superman

5-Demons to Diamonds/Sub Commander---I cheated!

What's yours? Keep in mine BOXED is the keyword!

Checkers is WAY harder to get than Math Gran Prix. Just ask Marco.

It's all based on my opinion.....Zwackery can chime in here but didn't he just find a boxed copy of Checkers. Compound that with the one I just got and that's 2 that I know of recently. I've one Math Grand prix so far within the last 3 years....On a sidenote this does not include private transactions; these are just based of auction sites/internet sites......

It's all based on my opinion.....Zwackery can chime in here but didn't he just find a boxed copy of Checkers. Compound that with the one I just got and that's 2 that I know of recently. I've one Math Grand prix so far within the last 3 years....On a sidenote this does not include private transactions; these are just based of auction sites/internet sites......

My feeling for boxes is:

1-Cannon Man

2-Math Gran Prix

3-Checkers

4-Superman

5- ?

Now, Shawn Sr. does make a good point with regards to Sears picture label Superman, which has to be the rarest Sears cart out there, but AFAIK there doesn't seem to be any documented differences in the Sears Superman box that would indicate the pic label went with a particular box. So let's reserve Superman pic as a special case which is mainly about the cartridge.

All of my Checkers (3 total, including 2 since January 2010) have come from eBay in mixed lots. I've seen 2 Math Gran Prix in the last few years, one which was listed solo (bid, did not win) and one in a mixed lot (got that one) this year. And then that Cannon Man that wakes me screaming nightly - oh, the agony - was a solo listing, the first I'd seen in years and years and years. Superman has popped up more recently than the other 3 in recent years, but that still isn't saying much when only 2 or 3 of a given title has been seen.

My feeling for boxes is:

1-Cannon Man

2-Math Gran Prix

3-Checkers

4-Superman

5- ?

Now, Shawn Sr. does make a good point with regards to Sears picture label Superman, which has to be the rarest Sears cart out there, but AFAIK there doesn't seem to be any documented differences in the Sears Superman box that would indicate the pic label went with a particular box. So let's reserve Superman pic as a special case which is mainly about the cartridge.

All of my Checkers (3 total, including 2 since January 2010) have come from eBay in mixed lots. I've seen 2 Math Gran Prix in the last few years, one which was listed solo (bid, did not win) and one in a mixed lot (got that one) this year. And then that Cannon Man that wakes me screaming nightly - oh, the agony - was a solo listing, the first I'd seen in years and years and years. Superman has popped up more recently than the other 3 in recent years, but that still isn't saying much when only 2 or 3 of a given title has been seen.

Zwack....That 5th spot, I'm leaning toward Demons...I've seen more sub commanders than this....I also noticed Stellar Track boxed is also seen more infrequently....

Edited by schuwalker

Zwack....That 5th spot, I'm leaning toward Demons...I've seen more sub commanders than this....I also noticed Stellar Track boxed is also seen more infrequently....

I wouldn't disagree with you on that. Sears definitely has some sleeper titles in terms of rarity. For the longest time I put Superman ahead of Checkers - even though it would seem to me that, given the popularity of Superman, lots of copies would have been produced - and actually I never even considered Checkers to be that rare of a Sears box since I got mine very easily early on. It's only through discussion and watching the market for several years that I came to see what an oddball rarity it is. Maybe the same thing with Demons to Diamonds. The tough thing is that it is extremely difficult to know what's already in other collections unless people volunteer that information.

I wouldn't disagree with you on that. Sears definitely has some sleeper titles in terms of rarity. For the longest time I put Superman ahead of Checkers - even though it would seem to me that, given the popularity of Superman, lots of copies would have been produced - and actually I never even considered Checkers to be that rare of a Sears box since I got mine very easily early on. It's only through discussion and watching the market for several years that I came to see what an oddball rarity it is. Maybe the same thing with Demons to Diamonds. The tough thing is that it is extremely difficult to know what's already in other collections unless people volunteer that information.

I agree. I'm basing everything I know off auction sites....It's weird that a popular hit like Demons would be hard to find consider it's popularity back then. I know that there were some families that were loyal Sear's shoppers and just get games there. My ambition would just know the production numbers for these and why some this are a mother to find!

As with many questions like this, the answer is..."it depends." If all you want is ANY box with matching title to put your loose cart into, you get one answer. If you want the SPECIFIC box that matches a picture cart or a specific version of a box, you would get a different answer. The Superman box is the latest-style box that matches the style of box that most Sears picture lables were found in. So if pic Superman was released in a box, it probably was the same style as the known Superman box. Cannon Man only has one known box style. Checkers has two box styles. Is one of the Checkers versions less common than either Cannon Man or Superman? Picture Blackjack box, 75602, is indeed much harder to find than 99805. The box for picture label Gunslinger 75109 is harder to find than the box for text label 75109. The same for pic Race.

As with many questions like this, the answer is..."it depends." If all you want is ANY box with matching title to put your loose cart into, you get one answer. If you want the SPECIFIC box that matches a picture cart or a specific version of a box, you would get a different answer. The Superman box is the latest-style box that matches the style of box that most Sears picture lables were found in. So if pic Superman was released in a box, it probably was the same style as the known Superman box. Cannon Man only has one known box style. Checkers has two box styles. Is one of the Checkers versions less common than either Cannon Man or Superman? Picture Blackjack box, 75602, is indeed much harder to find than 99805. The box for picture label Gunslinger 75109 is harder to find than the box for text label 75109. The same for pic Race.

I thought that all, or almost all, of the Sears pic label Superman carts had been found loose. Have more been found and just not divulged?

You do make some good points with certain box variations. As I am not a variant collector, I can't speak to those.

[i thought that all, or almost all, of the Sears pic label Superman carts had been found loose. Have more been found and just not divulged?

From what I have read here, all pic Supermans were found loose. The Superman boxes that exist (as far as I know anyway) were all found with the text label. But that Superman box is the last format Sears made, and is the style pic labels were found in. I am just trying to say that IF pic Superman was released in a box (as opposed to it being a promo item or some other special thing), then it would PROBABLY be the same box-style that the text-label Superman came in.

[i thought that all, or almost all, of the Sears pic label Superman carts had been found loose. Have more been found and just not divulged?

From what I have read here, all pic Supermans were found loose. The Superman boxes that exist (as far as I know anyway) were all found with the text label. But that Superman box is the last format Sears made, and is the style pic labels were found in. I am just trying to say that IF pic Superman was released in a box (as opposed to it being a promo item or some other special thing), then it would PROBABLY be the same box-style that the text-label Superman came in.

Where do you guys put Black Jack & Pong Sports (pic label versions) on the rarity scale in related to the other sears titles? Are my thoughts on where they fit in off? From my expereice they are both harder to get CIB than Demons to Diamonds or Submarine Commander.

I thought that all, or almost all, of the Sears pic label Superman carts had been found loose. Have more been found and just not divulged?

You do make some good points with certain box variations. As I am not a variant collector, I can't speak to those.

I wasn't into variations back then till recently....Don't you find a little weird that some titles had both a text and pic cart and some don't---maybe not found yet? Examples; Bowling-pic, Yars-Text, Target Fun-pic et al....I wonder what determined this?

Edited by schuwalker

I wasn't into variations back then till recently....Don't you find a little weird that some titles had both a text and pic cart and some don't---maybe not found yet? Examples; Bowling-pic, Yars-Text, Target Fun-pic et al....I wonder what determined this?

I'm fairly confident that all label variants have been discovered as far as Sears is concerned - although the world of Atari collecting is still full of surprises going on 30+ years - but I've always been curious about the decision to release some labels in both varieties and others in only one. I think it might mirror Atari's decision to do the same thing (after the text-only labels of the initial 9 title launch), but being able to find an internal memo or something dictating the rationale behind that decision, and the method of its implementation, would be interesting. Just from a marketing perspective, the text labels probably looked more computer-esque but the picture labels certain look more eye-catching.