IGNORED

Sick of shillers

the.golden.ax

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1303843563161?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=130384356316&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

The bidder who bumped this up ONLY ever bids on this guys stuff. They also relist the same items and the same bidder buys again. Just unabashed blatant shilling.

This is the second time over the weekend I encountered this BS.

Auctions are dead. I no longer trust the format.

AX

have you contacted eBay about this? This practice is not allowed and can result in the banning of both accounts.

Well I do remember someone on ebay's UK mirror site been successfully prosecuted through the courts for this sort of selling (bidding on his own auction), unfortunately, the authorities (in this case local trading standards) had to make ebay aware that this sort of selling was taking place on this auction (apparently, this sort of selling/bidding is actually illegal under UK consumer law)

it was only then that eBay acted accordingly by banning all relevant accounts/users (apparently the guy in question was slapped with a 50,000 GBP fine (that's 5,000 GBP for each offense)

You don't even need a placeholder bid, just bid at the end. That's what I do and I never deal with shills (because we all know they're out there).

Of course you can't always be there when an auction ends but in cases where you know you're going to be there, bidding high early is just asking for this kind of crap.

You don't even need a placeholder bid, just bid at the end. That's what I do and I never deal with shills (because we all know they're out there).

Of course you can't always be there when an auction ends but in cases where you know you're going to be there, bidding high early is just asking for this kind of crap.

I try my best sometimes to bid only at the end, but I have to teach during the day and several auctions like to end during my teaching hours. This translates to me putting in what I believe is a reasonable offer for the item.

I hate it when I lose by the bid-step though :x Nothing pisses you off like missing the opportunity of winning a boxed Shining Force II by 50 cents :x :x :x :x :x

You don't even need a placeholder bid

If it's a high interest/value item, I usually toss one on the pile just to show the seller that there is enough interest in the item not to end the auction early. Of course, there's no guarantee that a seller won't take a side deal - this is more my policy for non-professional sellers (video games, comic books, what have you) who discover something and put it up for auction.

I have complained about obvious shilling on two or three occasions, and the only response from eBay was an auto reply; nothing came of it.

As others have said, just use a sniping service. I use esnipe.com on all of my bidding and it works great. My bids are submitted automatically just six seconds before auction ends - no more shilling or other drama.

You don't even need a placeholder bid

If it's a high interest/value item, I usually toss one on the pile just to show the seller that there is enough interest in the item not to end the auction early. Of course, there's no guarantee that a seller won't take a side deal - this is more my policy for non-professional sellers (video games, comic books, what have you) who discover something and put it up for auction.

Ok I see. Makes some sense. I could see it make other people on the fence about bidding aware that they would have some competition if they did bid like "Ah I'm not fighting for this thing, forget it". I know I've felt like that in the past.

I have complained about obvious shilling on two or three occasions, and the only response from eBay was an auto reply; nothing came of it.

As others have said, just use a sniping service. I use esnipe.com on all of my bidding and it works great. My bids are submitted automatically just six seconds before auction ends - no more shilling or other drama.

Never tried one of those services. Are they pretty reliable? You've never had an esnipe not go through (whether you won or not)?

Neo Geo ehh....I did not know the Ax was a man of the Geo....icon_question.gif

Not a bad price at $100 bucks, but it's just a bit over..what kind of Tool does that just for fun...

Sorry to hear you missed out on that one Ax, ebay is a joke unless it's buy it now at a good buy ....

You've never had an esnipe not go through (whether you won or not)?

I have been using esnipe for a few years. I've used it perhaps 100 times, and it has never failed to submit my bid in the last few seconds before auction closing.

There are other such services as well - do some research into which might work best for you.

Neo Geo ehh....I did not know the Ax was a man of the Geo....icon_question.gif

Not a bad price at $100 bucks, but it's just a bit over..what kind of Tool does that just for fun...

Sorry to hear you missed out on that one Ax, ebay is a joke unless it's buy it now at a good buy ....

Speaking of the Neo Geo, someone local to myself has one for sale - system and 6 games for $600. I thought it was a crazy price but researched how much these systems and games go for and maybe it is reasonable?

Speaking of the Neo Geo, someone local to myself has one for sale - system and 6 games for $600. I thought it was a crazy price but researched how much these systems and games go for and maybe it is reasonable?

Depends on the games. There are a handful of NOS games floating around out there (early releases) that can be found for $30 or less. Still, that's actually not too bad of a deal.

EDIT: Ok I see the games now. That Mahjong game is strange, it's also 100% Japanese so you can't really follow what's going on. I have it for my MVS. :)

Tempest

Depends on the games. There are a handful of NOS games floating around out there (early releases) that can be found for $30 or less. Still, that's actually not too bad of a deal.

EDIT: Ok I see the games now. That Mahjong game is strange, it's also 100% Japanese so you can't really follow what's going on. I have it for my MVS. :)

Tempest

Yea its hard to read the titles and they aren't posted so I was hoping someone could ID them :)

Yea its hard to read the titles and they aren't posted so I was hoping someone could ID them :)

I'm no Neo Geo expert, but I'll give it a shot.

Fatal Fury 2

Samurai Spirits II (Shodown here in the US)

Samurai Spirits

Mahjong Minashanno

King of Fighters 94

Super Sidekicks (soccer)

+1. This is my experience too -- ePay: "We taking shilling very seriously....blah....blah...blah...we will investigate...blah...we get more money if the price is higher....blah....blah....so don't hold your breath...."

I just snipe now.

You've never had an esnipe not go through (whether you won or not)?

I have been using esnipe for a few years. I've used it perhaps 100 times, and it has never failed to submit my bid in the last few seconds before auction closing.

There are other such services as well - do some research into which might work best for you.

http://www.jbidwatcher.com Enjoy.

Shilling sux, if your so worried about price put a reserve on it at least instead or do a reasonable buy it now / best offer. One thing I have seen a lot lately which is crazy, is bidders willing to pay anything and always be in the lead only to often have someone willing to pay an even more ridiculous price to win it. That I will never understand. I don't even bother bidding when I can see someone wants it at almost any cost.

Shilling happens a lot and unless it is high profile like the Air Raid auction I am sure often no action is taken. Its also possible there isnt enough resources put in by ebay and they dont purposely ignore it.

AX, you should get a consolized MVS. A lot more economical, I love mine.