IGNORED

A5200 Power Supply

Cliff Friedel

Hi. I recently acquired a 5200 (2 port) with a c018187 power supply (it had 4 screws, 9.3v at 1.95 amps). Tried testing it and then using the multimeter on it and it doesn't seem to show current at all. Looked at the fuse and it seems to be ok, but to be honest, I would rather just rather replace it than the fuse. Anyone know where I can pick up one affordably or if there is another common PS I could use in its place? Please let me know. Thanks.

I found out that I could use either Power Supply without problem for the 5200 and simply bought a replacement one from ebay. Supposedly the power supplies are interchangeable, even though they have different voltage ratings on them.

There was some thread here some time ago of using the 16V Adapter from Thinkpad T20/A20/600 series. I tried that and it works fine.

I found out that I could use either Power Supply without problem for the 5200 and simply bought a replacement one from ebay. Supposedly the power supplies are interchangeable, even though they have different voltage ratings on them.

There was some thread here some time ago of using the 16V Adapter from Thinkpad T20/A20/600 series. I tried that and it works fine.

I am really surprised it can handle that type of overvoltage without problems, especially if 9.35v is its normal operating voltage. Most times, they will put in a regulator that only handles 10% over the listed voltage, maybe an extra volt or two total. That is almost double its voltage however. Is the current at 2A as well on that PS?

Edited by Cliff Friedel

I am really surprised it can handle that type of overvoltage without problems, especially if 9.35v is its normal operating voltage. Most times, they will put in a regulator that only handles 10% over the listed voltage, maybe an extra volt or two total. That is almost double its voltage however. Is the current at 2A as well on that PS?

Looks like they purposely put in voltage regulators since even their own power supplies don't follow the spec. I measured 14V on their power supply rated at 11.5V. The Thinkpad power supply is 16V at 4.5A so more than enough amperage for the a5200.

The limiting factor is the filter caps, which I believe are rated at +16vdc. Using the ThinkPad adapter is probably pushing it, though I've used one for a couple years now with no ill effects. Something around +9vdc 2amps would probably be ideal. The 7805 voltage regulators can handle upwards of +30vdc given proper heatsinking.

The limiting factor is the filter caps, which I believe are rated at +16vdc. Using the ThinkPad adapter is probably pushing it, though I've used one for a couple years now with no ill effects. Something around +9vdc 2amps would probably be ideal. The 7805 voltage regulators can handle upwards of +30vdc given proper heatsinking.

I don't think the amperage would make a difference as A5200 would only draw what it needs so 4.5A or 2A should both work fine.

I don't think the amperage would make a difference as A5200 would only draw what it needs so 4.5A or 2A should both work fine.

Agreed, but if you use an adapter with too few amps you'll probably burn it out. The problem with the ThinkPad adapter is the volts are a bit on the high side.