IGNORED

Robotron 2084

WERY

One of mine favorites to the 7800 is Robotron and by checking out the startmenu a little, I found out that a 2-playermode was available. I tried this mode and the first player worked just as usual but when it was time for player 2, all one could do was to stand still in the middle and fire all around you when pulling the stick in different positions. There is nothing wrong with it because it otherwise works great. I tried the 2-playermode on another game and it worked just fine so there has to be some kind of glitch in Robotron that makes this games 2-pmode malfunctional...

Any ideas?

Robotron uses both joysticks simultaneously: the left joystick to move, and the right joystick to shoot (you can also move and shoot with one joystick using the fire button, but seasoned Robotron players prefer the two-stick method since the original arcade game also had two sticks). For two-player games, both players share the joysticks: player one plays with both sticks, and then gives both sticks to player two to play with. This is also mentioned in the manual.

Wasn't there also a controller mount for the 7800 version, keeping the Joysticks in place when using both at the same time? I'm curious, because I will definitely be interested in picking this one up if that's the case. :thumbsup:

Edited by Austin

Wasn't there also a controller mount for the 7800 version, keeping the Joysticks in place when using both at the same time? I'm curious, because I will definitely be interested in picking this one up if that's the case. :thumbsup:

The Atari 800 version had a special insert molded into the box which allowed you to snap in two CX-40 joysticks, but I'm not aware that anything similar was made for the ProLine joysticks.

I use a pair of RSI joysticks, which have rubber feet and a wide sturdy base, and I find that these work nicely for Robotron. The only issue with the RSI is that, since it was designed as a four-way joystick, its diagonals have a somewhat limited range. It's noticeable, and it might be an issue for some people, but it never particularly bothered me.

Robotron uses both joysticks simultaneously: the left joystick to move, and the right joystick to shoot (you can also move and shoot with one joystick using the fire button, but seasoned Robotron players prefer the two-stick method since the original arcade game also had two sticks). For two-player games, both players share the joysticks: player one plays with both sticks, and then gives both sticks to player two to play with. This is also mentioned in the manual.

Oh I had no idea. I just tried it and it was true like you said. Stick number 2 is used for just shooting and standing still while stick number 1 is used for walking and with button pressed down, to shoot.

It works the same when I play as just one player so when reading this thread and checking it out I have gotten the answer on my question. Thanks :D

Now I might have to build something that would hold the controllers in place, like an empty supergun and attach them to it ;)