IGNORED

AAAAARGH! 5200 Trouble!

CV Gus

As you know, a while back my 5200 wasn't working. Everything worked, except for movement- the directional controls weren't working.

Judging by what was wrong, and by checking the schematic, I'd guessed that it was the POKEY chip.

So- I ordered one.

It came.

I took the metal plate out of the 5200- took out the old chip, put in the new, and tried Missile Command.

It worked.

So- I had to drill little holes on the metal plates and use tiny nits and bolts to put it all back in (the tabs were broken off).

Nifty!

BUT......

Just about a week ago, one of the pins in the console's port #1- the only working one- broke.

Oh, you've guessed which one if you know about these things, haven't you?

Pin 9.

The common for the directional circuits.

So the directional controls do not work.

But everything else does.

"The more things change, the more they stay the same..."

As you know, a while back my 5200 wasn't working. Everything worked, except for movement- the directional controls weren't working.

Judging by what was wrong, and by checking the schematic, I'd guessed that it was the POKEY chip.

So- I ordered one.

It came.

I took the metal plate out of the 5200- took out the old chip, put in the new, and tried Missile Command.

It worked.

So- I had to drill little holes on the metal plates and use tiny nits and bolts to put it all back in (the tabs were broken off).

Nifty!

BUT......

Just about a week ago, one of the pins in the console's port #1- the only working one- broke.

Oh, you've guessed which one if you know about these things, haven't you?

Pin 9.

The common for the directional circuits.

So the directional controls do not work.

But everything else does.

"The more things change, the more they stay the same..."

If you only use A5200 controllers, you should be able to get away with splicing the wire and connecting pin 12 wire to pin 9. That'll affect autodetecting controllers.

I usually use my digital controller.

I'll just stick with replacing the port plug itself. Might as well get it right, since I'll just install one for Player 2, too- that way, one can also play Robotron: 2084 and Space Dungeon properly.

Hey, maybe I'll just install all four.

I usually use my digital controller.

I'll just stick with replacing the port plug itself. Might as well get it right, since I'll just install one for Player 2, too- that way, one can also play Robotron: 2084 and Space Dungeon properly.

Hey, maybe I'll just install all four.

my port is missing pins from violently yanking faulty controllers angrily .

i eneded up just shoving in square header pins with the pins properly broken off they seem to leave a nice square hole in the back to shove one in