IGNORED

Mean Hamster 5200 Games New Cart Run

ziggystar

I didn't play all of the MH games but I think my favorite was Klax! Lets post some thoughts about all these homebrew games. Mine:

HH II 3/D -- I think the limitations of using 5200 basic mixed with assembly language can be seen in this game and mar it just a bit. It starts off with a cool picture of the house and complex spooky music! But as I play it, there are some slowdowns that I can't for the life of me figure out what is causing them. I noticed other button and control issues at times. Still, if you like this kind of game, you'll find the game very challenging at times with some large layouts and frightening atmosphere.

My wishes if re-released: fix the slowdown & control issues if possible. also give more warning before a creature appears (they nail me so quickly I can't get away). One easy fix would be to make a creature "aim" for a corner of the screen, THEN aim for you. Would give you some free time to react. Also, modify the screen visuals so that it is clear if you can exit up/down/left/right. I find myself feeling around each room.(Am I not noticing some clue that tells me (for example) that I can't go down out of a particular room? It seems trial and error to me). It's been a few years since I played this game, btw - my memory is all I'm going from.

Combat II Advanced: I never got to play this against anybody but its awesome to have another multi-player game.

My wishes if re-released: Can't think of anything.

5200 Klax: this is my pick for the best of the MH games. I never really played his Tetris game though, to compare. Klax 5200 speaks (!) and is a GREAT interpretation of the gameplay, even without the pseudo-3D perspective of the original coin-op game.

My wishes if re-released: don't change a thing. Maybe make a "hard mode" option, I remember the difficulty seeming to max-out at some point (erm, I think!).

Irata Quest: this was just an incomplete demo of like 10 screens, but it showed Zelda-like potential. This should be finished! Ziggystar's work-in-progress allowed you to enter houses, look at nice bookshelves :) , and use your sword to cut the on-screen plants. It had real promise. I'm sure a lot of time was spent on this even though it was not completed.

My wishes if this game were to be finished and released: No suggestions from me other than to perhaps get feedback from others at AA as you develop it. Lots of coders and artists here who would freely offer to make the game even better with their contributions.