IGNORED

Removing the RF modulator shielding

Rybags

I just got my latest PAL 7800 win from eBay.

Problem is, the RF jack is totally gone.

Is it a simple case of just removing the solder blobs from the small circuit board that adjoins the shielding as well as the ones underneath, or are things a bit more tricky?

Alternatively, on this model, is there a point on the bottom of the board where I could just pick off the RF signal?

Of course, Plan C - the most desirable option, would be to just do an A/V mod, but the ones I have plans for aren't for this motherboard revision.

post-7804-127406980209_thumb.jpg post-7804-127407000858_thumb.jpg

Are you trying to remove the RF modulator's circuit board from inside its shield? I think you'd have to remove the RF modulator from the mainboard to do that. There are eight solder joints holding it on: four for the RF shield, and four for the audio/video, power, and channel select connector. After you get the RF modulator removed and opened, the circuit board seems to be held in with four more solder joints, one on the inside of the shield and three on the outside.

I've got a couple of extra RF modulators in decent condition that I could send you. They're NTSC, so you'd probably have to replace the circuit board with your old one, but at least it would give you a fresh connector.

Cheers, Jay.

Don't worry about sending a spare - I should be able to source a jack from the store down the road if I don't have any spare here anyway. I'll probably get onto finishing the job tomorrow.

As it occurred, I just spent 20 minutes or so and got the sombitch out of the thing. Had to get the spade bit iron out, made short work of the big globs.

I've got 3x 7800s now anyway, none of them are exactly showpieces and I don't really use them much either.

Bought this one as it was reasonably cheap, and it's nice to have the option to pilfer one for spares if required.

post-7804-12740751013_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rybags

One more Q:

Can the GND for the RF-out just be arbitrarily taken from any handy location, or does it have to come from a specific spot?

When I pulled the modulator out, there was a length of copper braid which I guess was for GND, but it was just floating around freely.